Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2005-02-01, 11:22 PM   #1
tnen559
n00b

Default WRX wagon handling question

Ok people. My ride is probably not worthy to be discussed in this forum what with all the people owning STIs in here but I have to ask this question. I just bought my 05 WRX wagon yestrday (yah... laugh all u want, I deserve it) and to be honest with you I'm really disappointed in the way it handles. I thought that since there's only one other subaru that handles better than my wagon, namely the STI, mine would handle pretty decent. Well it doesn't. This thing is all over the place even with the slightest movement of my steering wheel at average speed. As soon as I touch it, whichever side I turn to dips by (it feels like) half a foot. The back is chasing the front and vice-versa. I come off of driving my wife's 04 RX-8 for the couple of weeks after I wrecked my previous subaru and got used to that lil thing's stiff ass suspension but I don't think that's why mine feels so soft. I used to have a 03 outback sport and even it didn't feel so soft. Hell, even my 94 tercel back in the day felt better. I'm really concerned about this whole thing. I read somewhere that the stock tires suck on the WRXs but I'm 99% sure it's not the tires. Anyone ever hear about a soft suspension on those WRX wagons? Anyone own the WRX sedan (Not the STI)? Please help!!! Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the long post.
tnen559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-02, 12:00 AM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Actually, the WRX wagon suspension is about the softest there is on an Impreza for 05. And yes, the tires really are that crummy. Good news is, it's not as bad as you think- after driving what is arguably the best handling factory-built car on the road, I'm not surprised you hate the wagon. If you want to improve your car's handling, some simple steps will help tremendously. First, get some 17" wheels with performance tires, to add grip and sharpen response. Second, get a sway bar package, particularly the rear. Then, decide how stiff is too stiff and pick either a set of springs, or some coilovers.
Old 2005-02-02, 12:09 AM   #3
tnen559
n00b

Wow, I feel so much better now! There's still hope for my half dead wagon I had a feeling I'd have to go with bigger rims. Do you think 18s would be too much? Also is a sway bar the type of mod that would void the warranty? (Just curious, I'd do it in a heart beat) BTW have you compared your STI to a EVO MR, RX-8, or a M3. Very curious about how each handles (other than the Mazda). Thanks again
Old 2005-02-02, 12:49 AM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnen559
BTW have you compared your STI to a EVO MR, RX-8, or a M3.
Actually, I just have a lowly RS that I take to the track. However, it will soon be superior to an STi in every way, so it's an unfair comparison. The most telling thing I can say about hte Impreza though, is that they're basically the same. Putting coilovers on one is basically going to make it handle as well as the same coilovers on a different model.

I personally wouldn't run 18s on the street, but others here do (on STis no less). So, it's all about how much bling you want. If you like 18s, and don't mind the extra cost for both wheels and tires, go for it. 17s handle well, ride well, and look good on a wagon though. In my opinion they are the perfect Impreza size.
Old 2005-02-02, 07:48 AM   #5
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

also, a rear strut tower brace makes all the difference in stiffening up the rear of the wagon.
Old 2005-02-02, 07:56 AM   #6
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

There's nothing wrong with having a wagon, they are cool...I owned an 02 WRX Wagon before my STi, and the most noticeable improvement in hadling came from changing the wheels and tires. I ran 17's on the wagon with a 225-45-17 and it drove great. 18's should be okay, I would suggest staying at 17.5 width or less, and you will likely still have a little rubbing here and there.

Also, the rear sway bar transforms the wagon, even on stock suspension. I'd recommend those two mods first
1) Rims and Tires
2) Rear sway bar

Then evaluate how it feels to you.

Good luck
Old 2005-02-02, 08:40 AM   #7
tnen559
n00b

Well guys, thanks so much for all your help. My spirits are high again. I'll do as you suggested and keep you posted. As for the rims, I just thought that 18s would handle ALOT better than the 17s but I'll go with the 17s if the differnece is not that big. I'll keep you all posted and thanks alot for all the help again.
Old 2005-02-02, 08:41 AM   #8
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Well guys, thanks so much for all your help. My spirits are high again. I'll do as you suggested and keep you posted. As for the rims, I just thought that 18s would handle ALOT better than the 17s but I'll go with the 17s if the differnece is not that big. I'll keep you all posted and thanks alot for all the help again.
Yeah, 17's are the best handling, best riding and most comfortable match for any Impreza. You won't be disappointed.
Old 2005-02-02, 09:02 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Welcome to the board!

The 17" vs 18" debates rages on! I'm actually one of the people that put 18's on his Impreza on stock suspension. I got tired of it pretty quickly. With the softer stock spring/struts, the low profile tires you have to run on 18's end up being too stiff. They cause the tires to "chatter" over bad roads, losing traction and triggering the ABS if you happen to hit some rough road while braking. I eventually sold the 18's and went to some 17's. Not only is the rubber much cheaper, the handling is better as well. In fact, now that I've converted my WRX to my race car, with coilovers and heavy swaybars, I'm still sticking with the 17's... they really are the optimal size for performance on Imprezas.

Also, if you're interested in decent wheels on a budget, a lot of people order Rota Wheels (they make decent replicas of popular wheels) from www.subydude.com. For the sway bars, I'd suggest Whiteline as they're cheaper than the competition and have a great product. Other good swaybars are made by Perrin, and Cusco, but they're a bit more expensive.

I'd do what other's have mentioned in this order:

1) 17"x7.5" wheels & 225/45/17 tires
2) 20-24mm adjustable rear swaybar (or just a 22mm fixed bar)
2a) Rear swaybar endlinks
2b) Rear swaybar mounting bracket
3) Rear strut tower brace

If your dealer is really strict, they might call you on the swaybar if you come in for warrenty work on something like the struts. But for the most part you should be able to do the items above w/o warrenty concerns.
Old 2005-02-02, 09:03 AM   #10
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Hopefully you will eventually learn to love the wagon. I had one, and it was great, I loved the cargo room, and the thing even in stock form does handle well (for a wagon!).

After the wagon got crunched, I got an RX-8 - one of the biggest reasons I got it instead of another wrx was that I fell in love with it's handling. So - I'm thinking if you drove an RX-8, then went to the WRX, I would say the handling difference would be very noticeable, more so than if you had not driven the rx-8 for awhile.

Good luck & keep us posted, and welcome to the forum.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-02, 09:04 AM   #11
dknv
EJ207

Oh, also, I don't know about the 05's, but I thought the earlier model years wagons had fitment problems with 18's.
Old 2005-02-02, 09:07 AM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Oh, also, I don't know about the 05's, but I thought the earlier model years wagons had fitment problems with 18's.
It's not so much an issue with the diameter, it's the width... most people will end up running a slightly larger tire when they try to go to 18's, just to keep from having to run 35 series tires. Those will rub on a wagon due to the lack of fender flares. But if you go with a 225/35/18 I think you're in the clear, even on the wagon, but don't take my word for gospel.
Old 2005-02-02, 09:10 AM   #13
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
...but don't take my word for gospel.
Now what am I going to do?? :wink:
Old 2005-02-02, 09:11 AM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Quote:
...but don't take my word for gospel.
Now what am I going to do?? :wink:
Consult the tome of NASIOC and the I-Club bible!! (Or ask a wagon owner that put 18's on it.)
Old 2005-02-02, 09:33 AM   #15
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

Welcome to the board!!!

everyone already covered most of the issues with you so I just add a little.

Its winter!!!!! Its cold!!!! our cars dont like to perform at thier best in these conditions............. watch out for Snow Donkeys :wink:
Old 2005-02-02, 10:00 AM   #16
MattR
El Matador

The snow shouldn;t be too much of an issue in Fresno
Old 2005-02-02, 10:18 AM   #17
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

ohhh snap!!! thats what I get for not looking
Old 2005-02-02, 10:18 AM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
The snow shouldn;t be too much of an issue in Fresno
I wish I lived somewhere it doesn't snow.... but Fresno's not on the list.
Old 2005-02-02, 10:38 AM   #19
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
It's not so much an issue with the diameter, it's the width... most people will end up running a slightly larger tire when they try to go to 18's, just to keep from having to run 35 series tires. Those will rub on a wagon due to the lack of fender flares. But if you go with a 225/35/18 I think you're in the clear, even on the wagon, but don't take my word for gospel.
Don't forget offset. If you tuck those rims in a little more you are better off until you hit the strut of course.
Old 2005-02-02, 10:45 AM   #20
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Haha, not that long of a first post, really.

Wagons are better anyway.
Old 2005-02-02, 10:51 AM   #21
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS
Quote:
Haha, not that long of a first post, really.

Wagons are better anyway.
Yes, i do believe you had the longest first post in the history of first posts...very extreme!
Old 2005-02-02, 02:16 PM   #22
tnen559
n00b

Well, I think I have more than enough info to make my ride handle way better. I can't wait to get back my tax returns :o But damn, this turned into a partey!!! Appreciate all the feedback.

P.S. It does snow in Fresno every couple of years. I'd think you'd love the snow having a awd, no?
Old 2005-02-02, 02:20 PM   #23
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Quote:
Don't forget offset. If you tuck those rims in a little more you are better off until you hit the strut of course.
Good point JC... If you get a 17x7.5 ET 35, you are going to hit the fenders with even a 225... I do not know what the optimal offset for a wagon is for a 245.. I would guess between 48, and 52, but don't know for sure. Definitely something worth searching for on Nasioc, or i-club.
Old 2005-02-02, 02:43 PM   #24
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
P.S. It does snow in Fresno every couple of years. I'd think you'd love the snow having a awd, no?
The problem is, most of our cars up here have a lot more race car in them and a lot less "snow car." Ask Dean, proud owner of stiff ass DMS 50s and bigass swaybars.
Old 2005-02-02, 02:44 PM   #25
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Quote:
Good point JC... If you get a 17x7.5 ET 35, you are going to hit the fenders with even a 225... I do not know what the optimal offset for a wagon is for a 245.. I would guess between 48, and 52, but don't know for sure. Definitely something worth searching for on Nasioc, or i-club.
18x7.5" P1s have +53, which is the factory offset. That's the best size for 18s. Most other Subaru fitment 18s are probably +48 like Rotas though, which should still be okay with 225s provided the diameter is no taller than stock.