Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-09-26, 03:21 PM   #1176
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

I've finished it. It doesn't play like normal Halo so it takes some getting used to, but I am really enjoying a more tactical halo than a run-in-and-kill-everything halo.
Old 2009-09-26, 04:30 PM   #1177
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeikun View Post
I've finished it. It doesn't play like normal Halo so it takes some getting used to, but I am really enjoying a more tactical halo than a run-in-and-kill-everything halo.
The run in and kill everything is what made halo, halo.
Old 2009-09-26, 07:51 PM   #1178
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

So this one might actually be fun then?
Old 2009-09-26, 09:02 PM   #1179
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
So this one might actually be fun then?
As long as you've still never played Halflife and know how god-awful FPS's are on consoles.
Old 2009-09-26, 11:15 PM   #1180
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

How are they god-awful?
Old 2009-09-27, 12:16 AM   #1181
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

Keyboard and mouse is way better than 2 joysticks for controlling the character. Plus, there are a lot less retards that play PC games than on xbox live.
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 12:52 AM   #1182
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

I'd totally be into the PC gaming scene if I had the money to invest in a decent setup. Personally, I'm happy with my xbox 360 and the ability to rent games, unlike for PCs.
Old 2009-09-27, 08:45 AM   #1183
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

We have had this whole FPS console vs. compy argument before. I just don't see how playing with a controller is an issue if everyone else is also playing with the same controller. Unless you handle a controller like 2 fiddler crabs fighting over a dead fish, I don't see the issue. That's like playing baseball and then saying, "this is fun and all but, it would be much better if we played softball since the ball is bigger and I can be more accurate."
Old 2009-09-27, 10:00 AM   #1184
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

We have a CoD4 tournament on PCs here in Iraq and some of the best guys play with USB Xbox controllers...
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 02:14 PM   #1185
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

I'm not saying people can't be good with controllers. I'm just saying that probably where the comment came from. It's all personal preference. I like a mouse for aiming more than a joystick, because for me it's easier to turn up the sensitivity but still be able to make small precise movements. I'm no good at that with a joystick, so I have to turn the sensitivity down, so it takes me a while to make big turns, and my shots aren't as precise
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 05:59 PM   #1186
doubleurx
EJ205

COD4 is an amazing game on PS3. My son beats the crap out of me on that one (well all PS3 games actually).
Old 2009-09-27, 09:24 PM   #1187
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
We have had this whole FPS console vs. compy argument before. I just don't see how playing with a controller is an issue if everyone else is also playing with the same controller. Unless you handle a controller like 2 fiddler crabs fighting over a dead fish, I don't see the issue. That's like playing baseball and then saying, "this is fun and all but, it would be much better if we played softball since the ball is bigger and I can be more accurate."
Playing with a controller is an issue simply because it's not fun. Who cares if everyone's got the same disadvantage... that's like claiming we can just cancel the regular Olympics because we've got the Special Olympics.

Plus, controller issues aside, when you compare Halo to its contemporary PC FPS games, it's only mediocre at best. It's only got this huge following because it was the 1st FPS on a console that wasn't complete utter crap, so a bunch of people got hooked on it because they didn't know how much better good FPS games were.
Old 2009-09-28, 06:37 AM   #1188
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Danger View Post
What I wanna know is, where's the royalty money from our cameo appearance?
Old 2009-09-28, 09:36 AM   #1189
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Playing with a controller is an issue simply because it's not fun. Who cares if everyone's got the same disadvantage... that's like claiming we can just cancel the regular Olympics because we've got the Special Olympics.

Plus, controller issues aside, when you compare Halo to its contemporary PC FPS games, it's only mediocre at best. It's only got this huge following because it was the 1st FPS on a console that wasn't complete utter crap, so a bunch of people got hooked on it because they didn't know how much better good FPS games were.
Since when does your inability cause everyone else to be in the special olympics? Maybe it's not fun because you are no good at it and get frustrated. Many people choose to play with a controller over a keyboard mouse combo because it's more fun. You don't have to sit at a desk, I don't need 3 other computers to play with friends at your house, you don't have to bind a set of keys, you don't have to worry about smashing other buttons by mistake, it's more comfortable, and lets not forget about controller vibration when you are shooting a gun. Are there FPS games that I would rather play on the computer vs. with a controller? Sure, CS Source comes to mind but, that doesn't make a console or controller any less fun.

So, Scott issues aside, when did someone compare Halo to its contemporary PC FPS games? Many PC FPS games are also on the 360/PS3 (Fallout3, COD4, RB6 Vegas, etc.) and Halo 1,2 was on PC also. Is Halo the best FPS? No, but that doesn't mean there are not valid reasons other than hype, why thousands of people still play it. I feel that Halo was played out and there was little left to add after Halo 2 introduced the dual wielding feature and the energy sword. Yet here they have made 2 more and have sucked every bit of life out of the title. Halo (2 or 3) is still a solid FPS because of the fact that you can pick up the controller and have instant fun action, and the learning curve is slight compared to games like SOURCE. There are enough vehicles/weapons to keep it fairly fresh and serve several different playing styles.

Accuracy is only part of an FPS. Most people who spend a decent amount of time playing FPS games will master accuracy and then that will no longer be an issue comparing yourself to other gamers. I would say that when factoring how well you do at a given FPS there are 3 factors. Accuracy is probably 40%, strategy 50%, and being in the right place at the right time is 10%.
Old 2009-09-28, 02:08 PM   #1190
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

When I first played COD4 on my PS3 it was the first FPS I've ever played, beside Wolfenstien way back when on PC.

I thought of it as a challenge. I was utter crap when I started I'm still pretty bad but it's still fun.

I agree with the sitting at a desk thing with Juice, it's nice to have your 55" HDTV guiding your way around the corner to your death.

Also I haven't bothered buying a wheel for racing games on the PS3 either, although I think that would make them more fun.

Last edited by tysonK; 2009-09-28 at 02:10 PM.
tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 07:51 AM   #1191
doubleurx
EJ205

Another fun PS3 game is Warhawk. It isn't anywhere as realistic as COD4, but it is really fun. It is pretty much all online play. Super cheap game right now also.
Old 2009-10-03, 07:55 AM   #1192
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

For what its worth, Need for Speed: Shift is on sale today (maybe the weekend?) at Best Buy for $40 for PS3, 360 and PC.

I'm contemplating going and getting it.
Old 2009-10-03, 10:10 AM   #1193
Libila
EJ205

I've got NFS Shift and I say it's worth the buy if FM3 wasn't so close to coming out. It's good and all but it has it's flaws. For a NFS title I'm extremely impressed.
Old 2009-10-03, 10:15 AM   #1194
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I still don't have a 360 yet, so I'll probably go pick this one up for the PS3.
Old 2009-10-03, 10:37 AM   #1195
Libila
EJ205

Yea, if you don't have a 360 then buy it for sure. You'll need something to tie you over until GT5 comes out
Old 2009-10-03, 04:50 PM   #1196
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Speaking of 360, does anyone know where to take mine to get repaired? It no longer reads discs.

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 05:55 PM   #1197
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libila View Post
Yea, if you don't have a 360 then buy it for sure. You'll need something to tie you over until GT5 comes out
Yeah, so far the game is pretty good. I like how you can get points for driving clean precise laps, or by driving aggressive and 'tradin paint'. It seems like driving clean (especially the mastering corners part) really pays off much more.

And its definitely much more of a real racing sim than any Need For Speed to date (except maybe the first one, which was pretty decent at the time). When you said it was the GTR devs, I was thinking SimBin, but its actually the guys who worked with SimBin on the GTR stuff. Regardless, its obvious they are going more for their work on GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends than any of the old NFS games.

I'm sucking like crazy with the regular controller though, and my old OG Playstation wheel isn't working. So, its a good excuse to pick up the new GT5 Logitech wheel (especially since its on sale right now at Amazon). I figure, even if this game sucks with a wheel, I'll still need one for GT5 when it finally comes out.
Old 2009-10-03, 06:05 PM   #1198
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Lol, just found that SimBin is threatening to sue Slightly Mad (ex Blimey! Games) for advertising the NFS:Shift with the claim that they developed GTR2 and GT Legends.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=22336
http://www.simbin.se/news.php?newsid=148
Old 2009-10-03, 09:10 PM   #1199
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Yeah, so far the game is pretty good. I like how you can get points for driving clean precise laps, or by driving aggressive and 'tradin paint'. It seems like driving clean (especially the mastering corners part) really pays off much more.

And its definitely much more of a real racing sim than any Need For Speed to date (except maybe the first one, which was pretty decent at the time). When you said it was the GTR devs, I was thinking SimBin, but its actually the guys who worked with SimBin on the GTR stuff. Regardless, its obvious they are going more for their work on GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends than any of the old NFS games.

I'm sucking like crazy with the regular controller though, and my old OG Playstation wheel isn't working. So, its a good excuse to pick up the new GT5 Logitech wheel (especially since its on sale right now at Amazon). I figure, even if this game sucks with a wheel, I'll still need one for GT5 when it finally comes out.
Bayley just came home from Reno with NFS Shift. Who's online?
Old 2009-10-14, 10:17 AM   #1200
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I got NFS Shift last weekend. Thanks for the tip Nick. It's pretty cool but it's annoying when you can't tell that it's time to brake cuz your on someone's ass. I also don't like how the engine just cuts when it's time to brake though I'm sure there's a way to disable that. I liked GT2's flashing number that represented the gear you needed to be in. I guess I should check what's configurable before I complain.

I just ran across this. Anyone played World of Goo? I'm gonna donate $5 and grab it tonight probably.

Quote:
World of Goo - Name your own price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since no one has posted this here, I might as well. Shamelessly ripped from Slick Deals

World of Goo was released one year ago. The publisher, 2D Boy, is offering it up for whatever you want to pay. You basically give them a donation for what ever amount you decide and they send you a download link to the game.

Link to 2D Boy's website. Scroll down a bit to see the offer. The site is getting hammered so be patient.

Offer ends on October 19th.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459599