Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-02-24, 09:00 PM   #1
Duckie
EJ22

Default Well everything is almost done...soon this beast will be in my car

Old 2006-02-24, 09:04 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

It's about time!

That looks like a crazy place for the alternator though... I hope it doesn't get too wet down that low driving in the rain... it only took about 2 hours of driving w/ a cracked radiator blowing steam on my alternator to kill it w/ corrosion.
Old 2006-02-24, 09:54 PM   #3
sp00ln
EJ205

^ hey, he's a step ahead of you scott.
Old 2006-02-24, 10:35 PM   #4
Duckie
EJ22

The alt is covered ^_^
Old 2006-02-24, 10:46 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Sweet! I was wondering why I hadn't seen your car in a few weeks.
Old 2006-02-24, 11:34 PM   #6
Duckie
EJ22

Hehe ^_^. Yeah the car hasnt been up at the house for awhile. But as soon as I get it installed step two is to report to the nearest AWD dino, then come to a meet!
Old 2006-02-26, 01:13 PM   #7
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

How long is soon?
Old 2006-02-27, 12:39 AM   #8
Duckie
EJ22

MAX one month.
Old 2006-02-27, 10:51 AM   #9
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

so that's a H-6 right ? what car is this going into? turbu ? estimated power ? (crank / wheels ) ??
A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 11:37 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI
so that's a H-6 right ? what car is this going into? turbu ? estimated power ? (crank / wheels ) ??
It's a supercharger on an EG33 3.3L SVX flat six. It should make an ass-load of power, since the SVX block really responds to power adders (though I still think a turbo is the way to go because you can intercool and wastegate things for more control and power). My guess is that the supercharger will put the car at around 275-300awhp assuming a manual tranny swap... the 4EAT will probably sapp a bit more of that power than the 5/6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
MAX one month.
That's how long my motor was supposed to take. I'm currently into month NINE, but at least things are finally wrapping up.
Old 2006-02-27, 12:34 PM   #11
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

^^ we hope Scott!

That SVX should be a monster! I do have to say tho, the alternator placement scares the crap out of me!
Old 2006-02-27, 12:37 PM   #12
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

OMFG you are my hero i want to see this monster of an SVX i'll even buy you a lil bit of gas for a ride in that thing Woohooo.. nice. i've been wanting to do something like that. very savage *Claps*

not a full tank but more gas then needed for a quick joy ride. like 3.72 gallons

Last edited by A1337STI; 2006-02-27 at 12:45 PM.
Old 2006-02-27, 06:10 PM   #13
Duckie
EJ22

W00t, yay for floods!

Anywho, although the alt placement originally scared me, it is fully covered, has plenty of clearence from the ground and shouldn't cause any problems. And even if they do arise, I am sure they will be manageable.

As for joy rides, once everything is done anyone who wants one can feel free to have one. One thing I want everyone to know is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. First mod I am going to do is new exaust which should free up at least 20 hp I think. After that my first concern will be the tranny and as of yet I do not know what route I am going to go down concerning this. After that I will be rebuilding the engine and running higher boost. I really want to push this car as far as it can go and still be streetable. I just keep telling myself that it can be made to be an eleven second car if I keep dumping money into it...and somehow I find funds, lol.
Old 2006-02-27, 06:50 PM   #14
Duckie
EJ22

Oh, that reminds me...where is a good place to have some custom exaust work done? I require that it be stainless and not crushed bent. I don't know anyone in town(to my knowledge) that has the capabilities =/
Old 2006-02-28, 10:52 PM   #15
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

i've heard that midnight in sac is good. but i don't know anyone who personally had word done there. hmmf. damn hear say . their website claims its all mandrel bent, no crushed pipes
Old 2006-02-28, 11:18 PM   #16
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

You can get a good exhaust done locally, all you need is a competent welder, some tubing, muffler(s), and mandrel U-bends from summit. I hear Mr. Muffler in Sparks is pretty good, but no personal experience.
Old 2006-03-01, 10:22 AM   #17
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Nobody I am aware of in Reno has a mandrel bender for anything as large as exhaust tubing. As Kevin said, you can get pre bent mandrel sections from Summit and have them put together. Make sure you find somebody who regularly works in stainless.

Most exhaust shops do not regularly work in stainless.
Old 2006-03-01, 03:51 PM   #18
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

www.midnightperformance.com they mandrel bend theirs , custom exuast, headers, intercoolers, mods up the waazooo. unfortunately i only have hear say info bout them, but its all good. maybe give em a call and see if they can do what you want, for a price you like ?
Old 2006-03-02, 01:57 PM   #19
Duckie
EJ22

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it ^^. Looks like completion might be later than expected but i dont see how it could be ANYMORE than 2 months(then again I thought that half a year ago)
Old 2006-03-09, 03:11 PM   #20
Duckie
EJ22

I hate delays...guess I should be used to it since I have seen nothing from the 6grand+ ive put into the car OVER a year ago o_O.

Anyway, a new update for you guys. The guy doing the work for me is nearing completion(apparently more so than the last 20 times he has assured me it would be done soon) and that is about it as far as the new engine work goes. But overall my life is really looking up now. I own a condo with my boyfriend and it is paid off, I have a full ride at UNR starting next year, and I just landed a sweet ass job with super flexible hours and pays well too. The only costs I have are the money I spend on food, paying off my tv (150 a month...not bad or anything), and upgrading stuff in the condo. With my new job I am going to be immediatly saving up for a new tranny.

This is where I am no longer sure of which direction I should be going. Should I go the 6mt with a 180 rear? Or should I go for a 3.9 auto with a 180 rear? Keep in mind I plan to be pushing well over 600 horse eventually.
Old 2006-03-09, 04:43 PM   #21
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

MT always gets my vote. Put more power to the wheels and more fun to drive.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 05:03 PM   #22
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
MT always gets my vote. Put more power to the wheels and more fun to drive.
I agree, but if you're really going to get 600 hp (I hope you have about $50,000 saved up in addition to what you've already spent) nothing "factory" will handle it. Not even the STI 6MT, unless you're really gentle to the car.

Now, if we're talking a more realistic 300-400 awhp, the 6MT is probably the only OEM transmission you'll be able to use. Perhaps a Legacy 4EAT w/ 4.11's and the correct TC would be a good option, but I'm not totally sure they can take that abuse. Even the 6MT is going to be punishing clutches or risking gears.

Either way, a tranny to handle high power levels is going to cost you at least $5000 installed... and that's assuming a great hookup on labor. STI 6MT + R180 + drive shaft + custom rear axles (so you don't have to do something like an STI rear hub conversion) is probably $5000 to $6000 in parts alone. A rebuilt Legacy 4EAT w/ 4.11's is also probably over $4000 as well.

For about $3000, you can probably do a WRX tranny swap. An '02-'05 WRX tranny is about as drop in as it gets, since it re-uses the SVX's 3.545 rear end, but has a 1.1:1 center diff that makes the rear-end effectively a 3.90. If you're a gentle driver and make sure to slip the clutch (keep the wear on the cheaper clutch rather than risk the gears) you can probably get away with a 5MT on your supercharged motor.

I raced with 200awhp on my WRX w/o any tranny issues for like 40,000 miles. But I made sure to slip the clutch and never "launched" the car. Which is why my clutch started slipping, which prompted my 6MT swap. I was going to use my 5MT for the SVX, but the transmission went missing from the shop I left it at, so I've scrapped plans for a manual swap into my SVX. If the tranny goes out on the car (it's running great, so I figure it's got a while yet) I'll probably just sell the car, or put a Legacy 4EAT in there... automatics can be nice on the daily driver.
Old 2006-03-09, 05:08 PM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Haha, a slipping clutch prompted the 6MT swap? Did worn brake pads spawn the Stoptech's too?

Edit: And WTF "lost" your WRX tranny? The same people that blew up your previous new motor?

Last edited by cody; 2006-03-09 at 05:10 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 05:22 PM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Haha, a slipping clutch prompted the 6MT swap? Did worn brake pads spawn the Stoptech's too?

Edit: And WTF "lost" your WRX tranny? The same people that blew up your previous new motor?
Actually, I totally baked my stock brakes at RFR. Since I had to spend money on new rotors, pads, seals, and bearings; I figured some StopTechs would actually be cheaper in the long run so the next time I was out there it wouldn't mean totally rebuilding the stock brakes and hubs yet again.

I don't really want to get into it on the board because the situation isn't totally resolved yet, but yes, my 5MT was installed in another customer's car and is now driving around Sacramento.
Old 2006-03-09, 05:29 PM   #25
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
I own a condo with my boyfriend and it is paid off, I have a full ride at UNR starting next year, and I just landed a sweet ass job with super flexible hours and pays well too.

This is where I am no longer sure of which direction I should be going. Should I go the 6mt with a 180 rear? Or should I go for a 3.9 auto with a 180 rear? Keep in mind I plan to be pushing well over 600 horse eventually.
Dude you are a chick? I'd go 6MT, if you are going all out don't stop with the tranny. The auto just won't be as fun, though it will be faster in a straight line for sure.

JC