Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2007-01-19, 03:40 PM   #1
GarySheehan
EJ22

Never let the driver work on the car...
Default Got Bandwidth?! Subaru Legacy GT In-Car Race Video

Sorry folks, I should have gotten this up much sooner here. If you haven't already seen this on the other sites, here it is...

I just got around to publishing this video. It was taken during the Grand Am Cup race at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama on July 29th, 2006. The car is the 2006 Subaru Legacy GT built and campaigned by GOTO:Racing.

Due to an electrical glitch that kept us off the grid, we had to start from the very back of the field. There is lots of passing! Remember, no passing until you are past the start/finish line after the green flag waves...

It's a big file but the quality is pretty good. 720x480, 197MB and 23 minutes long.

Right-click, save-as...

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 2007-01-20 at 09:53 AM.
GarySheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 03:50 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I'd like to thank IGT for providing me the bandwidth to download this! 1000k/s rules!
Old 2007-01-19, 03:56 PM   #3
GarySheehan
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I'd like to thank IGT for providing me the bandwidth to download this! 1000k/s rules!
Hey, GoDaddy is partially responsible as well! I've been getting lots of compliments on download speed.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com
Old 2007-01-19, 04:09 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

This is some sweet footage Gary!

I can't believe how much quieter the LegGT compared to the other cars.

In a lot of the corners you seem to have some pretty bad understeer (at least I figure if I can notice it on a video, it must be pretty significant). How's the car actually handle? It doesn't seem to slow you down any, but I keep getting that seat-of-the-pants feeling that you're throwing the car into the corners way harder than you should need to just to get it to turn.

...I'm just getting about 1/3 into the video... this traffic is nuts!!! Would you say you're driving at 10/10 in this traffic, or do you hold back so you've got some "spare" traction in case you need to get out of a situation? I only run time trials, so I can be 10/10 (well 9.5/10, I'm chicken) when there's no one around and 6/10 when I'm in traffic 'cause there's no racing for position... I'd love to learn some trick about traffic so I can get into actual road racing in the future.
Old 2007-01-19, 04:14 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

BTW: great pass on the 56 silver BMW at about 12 min into the vid... gave it up in the 1st half of the chicane to get a huge run off the 2nd half and down the front straight... guy didn't have a chance!
Old 2007-01-19, 04:23 PM   #6
GarySheehan
EJ22

Yes, the car had bad corner entry and mid-corner understeer and big on-throttle oversteer. I wanted to take the car in a different direction, but Brian liked how the car was set up. We both compromised somewhat with the set-up that weekend and I think neither of us really liked the car we ended up with. It wasn't the way I would set the car up for myself.

I was definitley holding something back once that first BMW ran me off the road. From that point on I was pretty cautious with those crazy back of the grid guys. They just don't look. And really, if I make up 200 yards on you in less than a lap, should you really be fighting me to the death for the position?! So I was pretty cautious unless I was 100% alongside the other driver. It was the only time I could be sure they saw me!

Traffic is all about being comfortable in close quarters, learning where your faster and they are slower, intimidating the other driver into a mistake and picking the places to really try to make a pass stick.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com
Old 2007-01-19, 09:17 PM   #7
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

I can't watch it for some reason... stupid Quicktime. I'll try again when I get home.
Old 2007-01-19, 10:32 PM   #8
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Sweet. That looks like fun. Seems like you had quite the edge on late-braking after the backstretch.
Old 2007-01-20, 10:32 AM   #9
Joeyy
i can has kart?

I had to turn down the sound when you were side by side with that loud Mazda #62. Did you to make contact?
Joeyy is offline   Reply With Quote