Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-08-10, 09:22 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default $1000 reward for info on hit and run

I got this email at work:

Quote:
Hi,

The bicyclist involved in the accident is the husband of an IGT employee (Patsy Pumphrey). I've received permission from her to send this out and I've notified her coworkers this is being sent so there are no surprises.

Thanks,
Heidi Littenberg

$1000 REWARD FOR INFORMATION!!!

The Reno Police Department is seeking information on a Fatal Hit and Run traffic accident that occurred on Thursday July 20, 2006 at 4:20 PM at Double R Blvd and Sand Hill Dr in south-east Reno.

Dave Pumphrey was riding a bicycle on Double R Blvd and collided with the right side of a compact light blue sedan, possible a Subaru, driven by a heavyset white female with brown hair, between 45-50 years old.

The driver did not stop. Dave Pumphrey died 9 days later.

If you have any information at all please call RPD Detective Troy Callahan at (775) 334-2141 or Secret Witness at (775) 322-4900. You don't have to give your name. You could earn a $1000 reward if your information leads to this case being prosecuted.
Old 2006-08-10, 09:48 AM   #2
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Holy shit dude. That sucks a LOT. I hope they're able to come up with something! That's just not right that she would smack him and simply drive off!
Old 2006-08-10, 09:55 AM   #3
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Damn there was a hit and run Friday on 395, although nobody was killed. That is terribly unfortunate. They may have a difficult time finding the right
Quote:
heavyset white female with brown hair, between 45-50 years old.
around here.
Old 2006-08-10, 10:11 AM   #4
Duckie
EJ22

*sigh* it is always sad when something like this happens.
Old 2006-08-10, 05:29 PM   #5
Forgotten
EJ22

Car: 05 STi

One of my Dad's coworkers got hit and killed in a hit and run on a bicycle out in mound house. How do you not stop for these things?
Old 2006-08-10, 05:35 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Seriously... I'd rather go to jail than think that someone died because I was covering my own ass.
Old 2006-08-10, 06:38 PM   #7
sp00ln
EJ205

Do you think you'd go to jail if you innocently, on accident, hit a person, stopped, helped him/her, called authorities, did all the right and ethical things and they ended up dieing?
Old 2006-08-10, 07:43 PM   #8
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

Potentially you could go to jail. Technically that's vehicular manslaughter, which is a crime. As the driver of a vehicle it is your responsiblity to maintain control of it at all times.
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 09:00 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
Do you think you'd go to jail if you innocently, on accident, hit a person, stopped, helped him/her, called authorities, did all the right and ethical things and they ended up dieing?
Probably not, but it's a possibility.
Old 2006-08-10, 09:05 PM   #10
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
Do you think you'd go to jail if you innocently, on accident, hit a person, stopped, helped him/her, called authorities, did all the right and ethical things and they ended up dying?
Yeah, you could go to trial for involuntary manslaughter, but being a good person is usually will help your cause. Either by no one pressing charges, or by a very sympathetic jury letting you off easy.
Old 2006-08-11, 08:58 AM   #11
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Yeah, you could go to trial for involuntary manslaughter, but being a good person is usually will help your cause. Either by no one pressing charges, or by a very sympathetic jury letting you off easy.
If the bicyclist is at fault for the incident (runs a stop sign or something) and you hit them, and they die, it's not manslaughter. But if you leave the scene of the accident, that's felony hit-and-run.

As much as I see dumb stuff on the road from car drivers, I see bicyclists break the law more often. A bicycle is a vehicle just like a car as far as the rules of the road... but when was the last time you saw a bike stop at a stop sign? I had a twit on a road-bike run the intersection at Double Diamond/Double-R at 40 mph right in front of me as I was leaving the stop sign. If I had been paying less attention (like on my cell phone or something) that guy would have gone over my hood, or under my bumper, and it would have been his fault.

Of course, I don't know what happened in this particular situation, all I know is that the driver is a supreme idiot for leaving the scene, as they will eventually be found. And regardless of who's at fault for the accident, clearly the driver is in the wrong for leaving the scene, and if there's even the smallest chance that sticking around may have helped the bicyclist's life, I pin his death on the driver of the car.
Old 2006-08-11, 06:27 PM   #12
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry

As much as I see dumb stuff on the road from car drivers, I see bicyclists break the law more often. A bicycle is a vehicle just like a car as far as the rules of the road... but when was the last time you saw a bike stop at a stop sign? I had a twit on a road-bike run the intersection at Double Diamond/Double-R at 40 mph right in front of me as I was leaving the stop sign. If I had been paying less attention (like on my cell phone or something) that guy would have gone over my hood, or under my bumper, and it would have been his fault.
Understood, and I agree with you, but the way our society is now-a-dayzzz, I doubt anyone else (the legal system) would see it that way. Sad... It pisses me off that no one can accept responsibility these days.

I hope they find this middle aged, fat woman.
Old 2006-08-11, 10:01 PM   #13
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

I ride a bike in Reno often, and I have to say that it is total chaos. If I am not mistaken, there is no set rule for how to operate your bike in traffic, so people ride with traffic, against traffic, on the sidewalk, whichever method means that they don't have to stop for a sign or a light. I personally behave as though I am a motor vehicle (turn lanes, stop for red, etc) and it takes some aggressive riding to maintain your place, probably because nobody knows what is the right and wrong way to ride, or if they should yield to you or you should yield to them. Does anyone know if there is a rule or guideline for riding in traffic here in Reno? All I know of are those 'critical mass' idiots and the rides they pull to protest and 'announce' bicyclists' presence in traffic....they are going about it all wrong.
Old 2006-08-12, 05:39 AM   #14
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Legally, thats how a bike rider is supposed to act, as part of traffic. They need to obey speed limits, stop signs, and all that other good stuff.
Old 2006-08-12, 10:39 AM   #15
Duckie
EJ22

I almost hit a biker who ran a red light the other day...that would have been so far away from my fault it was ridiculous.
Old 2006-08-12, 09:06 PM   #16
SteveM
EJ22

Car: RED WRX
Class: Spectator

Mangia la mia polvere

The only special rule for bicycles is to "ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable." Other than that all laws are the same as for a car:Reference

Having been a bicyclist for most of my life. It really pisses me off when I see people riding like idiots in traffic. They are the ones who confuse and aggravate drivers and get them all pissed of about bikes. Especially riders that really should know better (i.e. roadies in their silly neon jerseys , yes I wear one too --sometimes! ).

I haven't read enough about this accident to know if the rider or car was in the wrong... But I have been hit twice by cars turning in front of me (once a car turning left, and the other right). Both times the driver was like "where the hell did you come from!" Look out for bikes. Please!

P.S. I have participated in Critical Masses (not in Reno), and for the most part think that they do just piss off most people. But, they do definately cause people to think about bicycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten
I ride a bike in Reno often, and I have to say that it is total chaos. If I am not mistaken, there is no set rule for how to operate your bike in traffic, so people ride with traffic, against traffic, on the sidewalk, whichever method means that they don't have to stop for a sign or a light. I personally behave as though I am a motor vehicle (turn lanes, stop for red, etc) and it takes some aggressive riding to maintain your place, probably because nobody knows what is the right and wrong way to ride, or if they should yield to you or you should yield to them. Does anyone know if there is a rule or guideline for riding in traffic here in Reno? All I know of are those 'critical mass' idiots and the rides they pull to protest and 'announce' bicyclists' presence in traffic....they are going about it all wrong.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote