Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-09-11, 08:38 AM   #1
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."
Default Suspension choices makes my head hurt

Sooooo.... I'm starting to look at suspension upgrades for the STi and don't know where to start.
My rears have started making a bunch of noise and I can feel something sticking back there when I come to a stop and everything settles.

I'm not looking the ultimate setup but I'd like to feel like I got some improvement. I looked at tein's website for about .0000000001 seconds and realized 1. I don't know what I'm doing, 2. their site sucks cuz I feel lost.

I'm not concerned with autoX classes.
My car is a daily driver.
I don't mind a firm ride.
The car will see snow a couple of times a year.
Reduction in fender gap would be a plus. Not sure if that is an issue for the snow. If so then I guess adjustable ride height would let me ride higher in the winter.
Something like an EDFC is nice so I can attempt to make the ride less harsh when I have passengers who don't get it. But I'm not stuck on Tein either.

What improvements can be expected?
Part of me wants something with crazy adjustability. But a more reasonable part of me (seems to have come with age) says I don't need all of that nor will I take the time to dial it in.

Any recomendations?
$1500-$2500 is my ballpark budget.
Old 2006-09-11, 08:53 AM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Someone on Nasioc is selling the Ohlins fixed perch adjustable struts for $1200 shipped with Group-N front tops. Add some RCE springs and you have a wicked setup.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:00 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Someone on Nasioc is selling the Ohlins fixed perch adjustable struts for $1200 shipped with Group-N front tops. Add some RCE springs and you have a wicked setup.
Or get the Tein Flex's for the same price, with height adjustment, rebound adjustment, EDFC compatibility, and camber adjustablity. There's a reason "everybody" get the Tein stuff... it's really great hardware, for a really decent price.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:01 AM   #4
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Two words based on your requirements.

Tein Flex = $1500.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:08 AM   #5
Double Phister
EJ22

thanks guys.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:12 AM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Or get the Tein Flex's for the same price, with height adjustment, rebound adjustment, EDFC compatibility, and camber adjustablity. There's a reason "everybody" get the Tein stuff... it's really great hardware, for a really decent price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
Part of me wants something with crazy adjustability. But a more reasonable part of me (seems to have come with age) says I don't need all of that nor will I take the time to dial it in.
Since Dan doesn't autocross or track his car, nor does he seem to want to mess with adjustments much, Teins are slight overkill. Aside from that, Ohlins inverted monotube struts are far superior to Tein struts as far as durability and reliability. The only reason people aren't flocking to that setup with the STi is that when new it costs well over $2000.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:13 AM   #7
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I agree, that the Tein Flex's are probably exactly what you want.

One thing, though, is that the Tein Flex, even on full height they won't be quite as high as the stock suspension. This probably won't cause an issue unless you start off-roading in snow, but I thought I'd bring it up.

With the Ohlins, you'll be stuck at that ride height (don't know what it is) and it may not give you enough clearance for snowy roads. That's something you'll want to double check.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2006-09-11 at 09:16 AM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 09:25 AM   #8
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Since Dan doesn't autocross or track his car, nor does he seem to want to mess with adjustments much, Teins are slight overkill. Aside from that, Ohlins inverted monotube struts are far superior to Tein struts as far as durability and reliability. The only reason people aren't flocking to that setup with the STi is that when new it costs well over $2000.
Plus it's not height or camber adjustable. People aren't flocking because people that want aftermarket stuff usually want to be able to adjust it properly.

Besides, I'd rather pay $1400-1500 for *new* suspension, than $1200 for *used* struts with who know how many/how hard miles on 'em, and then still have to buy springs.

Also, Tein's are great right out of the box. Eric put Flex's on his '06 last year, I co-drove it on the factory settings, and won over-all PAX. My Tein SuperRace coilovers set to the factory heights was actually dead on corner-balanced on the scales... didn't have to adjust a thing. Dan can get a set of Flex's and just bolt 'em on, get a basic alignment, and go. Then later if there are changes he'd like to make to the settings, they're right there for him to play with.

As far as Ohlin's duribility and reliability... I don't see Dan punishing these things like a rally driver (not that I've every heard of a set of Tein's "wearing out"). Plus both companies will rebuild the dampers, and I'd bet Tein's a bit cheaper for the rebuild than Ohlins.
Old 2006-09-11, 09:34 AM   #9
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Except for the number of other reasons like, they don't come with top mounts, and they aren't height adjustable, etc...

I am as frugal as they come, and like deals on used stuff, but I wouldn't buy the Ohlins. inverted Monos as we already know from the stockers are typically not ideal daily driver struts, and they will most likely make noise eventually which is one of Dan's complaints.

Tein Flexs are a good streetable daily driver option with a proven track record.

If you want to go cheap, get a set of the no-names that Jeramiah or others have gotten for about $1000. Grouppe-S had them last I knew.

EDIT: Damn, Scott and I must be channeling each other today, he just types faster than I do...

Give up Kevin... When is the last time Scott and I agreed on something like this to this level of detail? You can't win.

Last edited by Dean; 2006-09-11 at 09:39 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 10:05 AM   #10
Kevin M
EJ22T

Myles' first post after installing production RCE springs on his STi
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Plus it's not height or camber adjustable. People aren't flocking because people that want aftermarket stuff usually want to be able to adjust it properly.

Besides, I'd rather pay $1400-1500 for *new* suspension, than $1200 for *used* struts with who know how many/how hard miles on 'em, and then still have to buy springs.

Also, Tein's are great right out of the box. Eric put Flex's on his '06 last year, I co-drove it on the factory settings, and won over-all PAX. My Tein SuperRace coilovers set to the factory heights was actually dead on corner-balanced on the scales... didn't have to adjust a thing. Dan can get a set of Flex's and just bolt 'em on, get a basic alignment, and go. Then later if there are changes he'd like to make to the settings, they're right there for him to play with.

As far as Ohlin's duribility and reliability... I don't see Dan punishing these things like a rally driver (not that I've every heard of a set of Tein's "wearing out"). Plus both companies will rebuild the dampers, and I'd bet Tein's a bit cheaper for the rebuild than Ohlins.
Dan doesn't need adjustment- he will be perfectly able to get a proper street alignment with stock tophats, stock perches, and springs that lower the car about an inch. The used vs. new debate comes down to personal opinion basically. I bought my Prodrive suspension with 2 years of use on them, and I got another 75k with no decrease in performance. No reason not to expect the same from almost physically identical struts from another premium manufacturer. You are putting too much emphasis on track/autocross performance for someone who will not do either. I'm certainly not claiming that a fixed spring/strut combo is better or worse than Tein Flex as far as lap times. But if it were my STi that was a daily driver and not used for competition driving, I wouldn't care about height adjustment as long as I had properly matched springs and damping. What else matters on a street car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Except for the number of other reasons like, they don't come with top mounts, and they aren't height adjustable, etc...

I am as frugal as they come, and like deals on used stuff, but I wouldn't buy the Ohlins. inverted Monos as we already know from the stockers are typically not ideal daily driver struts, and they will most likely make noise eventually which is one of Dan's complaints.

Tein Flexs are a good streetable daily driver option with a proven track record.

If you want to go cheap, get a set of the no-names that Jeramiah or others have gotten for about $1000. Grouppe-S had them last I knew.

EDIT: Damn, Scott and I must be channeling each other today, he just types faster than I do...

Give up Kevin... When is the last time Scott and I agreed on something like this to this level of detail? You can't win.
So what if they don't come with tophats? Last time I checked you got a set when you bought the car, and the specific set for sale in the nasioc classified includes Group N front tops. You also suggest he should avoid inverted monotubes because of noise, then suggest he get pillowball camber plates...

Again, I'm not arguing against Flexes as astreetable option. Everybody knows they work fine. Like Scott, you're putting too much stock in what will be a better autocross setup when that is not one of Dan's considerations. In terms of ride comfort, and confidence when beating the car on backroads, I can't see any downside to the Ohlin/RCE combo for that purpose, can you? Aside from the fact that you didn't suggest it yourself?
Old 2006-09-11, 10:15 AM   #11
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
But if it were my STi that was a daily driver and not used for competition driving, I wouldn't care about height adjustment as long as I had properly matched springs and damping. What else matters on a street car?
You keep missing this part Kevin. The Ohlins aren't height adjustable.

Quote:
Reduction in fender gap would be a plus. Not sure if that is an issue for the snow. If so then I guess adjustable ride height would let me ride higher in the winter.
And the height adjustability of the Teins isn't that 'crazy' so it doesn't really go against this statement either

Quote:

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2006-09-11 at 10:26 AM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 10:26 AM   #12
Kevin M
EJ22T

I would't say I was missing it Nick... I just don't think it's a big issue for the snow. Most of us have driven lowered Subarus in winter up here, and how many of us had the DCCD advantage? Since Dan will mostly be heading to ski resorts in the snow, he's not going to be trailblazing through 12" of snow to get there. Yes, stock ride height (or simlar) is better than 25mm of lowering, but I don't think it's going to mean the difference between getting where he's going and not come winter.
Old 2006-09-11, 10:43 AM   #13
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Well, 25mm is enough to for me not to dismiss it outright after seeing where he will be driving in the winter -- which isn't just ski resorts, but also their cabin up in Incline. And sure, Incline is better then the City of Reno about plowing the streets, but streets not leading to ski resorts do tend to have to wait a little.

Nick could chime in here, since he's been on Flexs in the Truckee winters. And I don't think he messes with the ride height (probably right about a 25mm drop FWIW) and is stranded many times throughout the season, but stranded in a way where 10mm-15mm more clearance probably won't help either.

For me, its really tough to say either way, but I don't think you can dismiss the snow driving outright unless you've driven a lowered subaru *in Tahoe* since Reno doesn't get comparable snowfall.

Personally, I don't see the reason to buy used parts when perfectly acceptible new parts are available for the same price.
Old 2006-09-11, 10:44 AM   #14
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Pillowball noise <> inv. monotube clunking.

I have only been considering Dan's requirments, not track/autocross. please don't assume/accuse otherwise.

Here are his criteria.

0. My rears have started making a bunch of noise and I can feel something sticking back there when I come to a stop and everything settles.
1. I'm not concerned with autoX classes.
2. My car is a daily driver.
3. I don't mind a firm ride.
4. The car will see snow a couple of times a year.
5. Reduction in fender gap would be a plus. Not sure if that is an issue for the snow. If so then I guess adjustable ride height would let me ride higher in the winter.
6. Something like an EDFC is nice so I can attempt to make the ride less harsh when I have passengers who don't get it. But I'm not stuck on Tein either.
7. Part of me wants something with crazy adjustability. But a more reasonable part of me (seems to have come with age) says I don't need all of that nor will I take the time to dial it in.

Tein Flex meet all 0-7 IMHO. Even #7 is met if just set at factory settings to start with, and if he ever decides to adjust, he has that option.

I know little about the Ohlins, but guess they meet 1,2,3,7 for sure, 0. Probably end up making inverted mono klunks. 4. don't know what the ride height is, but it isn't adjustable, so maybe 1/2. 5. Unknown height, and same as #4 on the snow. 1/2 at best. 6. No
Old 2006-09-11, 10:54 AM   #15
Kevin M
EJ22T

Dean, you yourself have said many times that the STi strut clunk comes from single bushings on the strut; you are assuming that the Ohlins have the same problem. I haven't seen anyone complain about noise from them, although there is of course a limited sample of real-world use to draw from.

Also, the RCE/Ohlin combo meets all of the requirements Dan listed, except that it doesn't have EDFC compatibility, which didn't seem all that important, and the possibility that it will be less capable in snow.

The three of you seem far more interested in shooting down my suggestion than in giving Dan options. But clearly, the Tein Flex is now the superior suspension solution for every Subaru owner on the planet, so why not just lock the thread now and submit Dan's order?
Old 2006-09-11, 10:56 AM   #16
Kevin M
EJ22T

totally off-topic, but why is my 'worst birthday ever' thrad the only related thread listed at the bottom of the page?
Old 2006-09-11, 11:06 AM   #17
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
The three of you seem far more interested in shooting down my suggestion than in giving Dan options. But clearly, the Tein Flex is now the superior suspension solution for every Subaru owner on the planet, so why not just lock the thread now and submit Dan's order?
Kevin, all I'm trying to do is point out the potential pitfalls related to the snow aspect. I don't think you can dismiss it as easily as you are.

Furthermore, I haven't seen a compelling reason to buy one over the other, except he does somewhat desire ride height adjustability. What might be seen as acceptible comprimises for some, might not be for others. I know you don't like Tein, but it really might be the better option.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:10 AM   #18
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Go back and reread the thread buddy. You are the one who started critiqueing other's suggestions.

Scott, Nick and I were just reccomending the Teins. you are the one who started judging our suggestion as "slight overkill", claiming facts not in evidence "Ohlins inverted monotube struts are far superior to Tein struts as far as durability and reliability." and making wild unsupported suppositions. "The only reason people aren't flocking to that setup with the STi is that when new it costs well over $2000."

Not us.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:16 AM   #19
Double Phister
EJ22

Quote:
...so why not just lock the thread now and submit Dan's order?
rofl waffles

The whole used AND nasioc thing kinda scurrs me. Flexes sound like they are what I will be happy with and IF I want I can play with them.

Plus I don't mind giving Oaf some bidness.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:26 AM   #20
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

+8000 for Flexes.

I can attest to streetability and reliability. I've had my set (Eric's set off his '04) for almost 40,000 miles and they still work as well as the day I bought them. They're fine for street driving, and they work great when you want to go canyon-carving, etc. They're not so stiff that you're screwed in the snow, either.

Going through Paul to boot makes it a no-brainer.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:34 AM   #21
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

TEIN Flex. 'Nuff said. For the money I spent, I have to say that I don't think I could have done any better, for what I wanted.

I wanted ride height/dampening/spring preload adjustability, and a car that could make up for it's lack of power in the straights, while cornering. I have EXACTLY that! Ask the guys packing 300 ponies that can't catch me at auto-x...

I know Dan doesn't auto-x, but for what he has expressed that he wants/would like to do with the car, I don't know that there's many other options that DO fit his criteria. For the money, I haven't seen much that will beat the TEINs, and still offer RIDE HEIGHT ADJ, EDFC, and decent quality/durability.

Kevin says Dan doesn't need ride height adj. Do any of us NEED any of the affore mentioned shit we throw at our cars!? NO! We do WANT though! So who gives a crap what you need!? We need food, water, and shelter, not 300hp turbo awd cars, but it sure is nice isn't it?
Old 2006-09-11, 11:59 AM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
rofl waffles

The whole used AND nasioc thing kinda scurrs me..
Heh, yeah, I of all people in this thread know that. I just got screwed out of $190 by a nasioc retard myself.
Old 2006-09-11, 01:00 PM   #23
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

That's it, I'm throwing my KW's in the dumpster and ordering Tein's tooo1!!1!
Old 2006-09-11, 01:01 PM   #24
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

To be serious though, the Tein equipped cars I've ridden in have been just great on the road, and the best part is that they seem to be quiet and need no real attention once their mounted up.
Old 2006-09-11, 03:50 PM   #25
Double Phister
EJ22

So do I make up what I loose going from inverted stockers to non-inverted flexes?

Paul mentioned some soon to be released inverted teins for a little more mula but looking at the tein site it appears that the spring rates are way higher than the flexes.

Is the only advantage to inverted the reduction in unsprung weight or is it more complex than that?

I'm 95% set on the flexes now.