Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

View Poll Results: Which company is best for this area.
Cingular 8 28.57%
Nextel 1 3.57%
Cricket 0 0%
Verison 8 28.57%
Sprint 8 28.57%
Other 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-11-16, 05:51 PM   #26
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Verizon has the best coverage in outlying areas and is pretty damn good all around. We tried them all and settled on them locally, and nationwide. Customer service sucks the least. I think they are the only ones with coverage at all our autocross venues which is all that is really important...

AT&T/Cingular may rule when they get their act together, but I'm betting that will take another 12 months.

Sprint/nextel have got even longer to go since there networks aren't remotely similar. 24-48 months before convergence and you get the advantage of the coverage.
Old 2005-11-16, 10:30 PM   #27
LetItRev
R.I.P.

Car: 2004 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Just to get a kick in...fuck Cingular. Worst customer service EVAR!

I couldn't agree more! I am dropping Cingular as soon as my contract is up; perhaps sooner. I am willing to pay the $150.00 per line to get rid of them!

Verizon has the internet connection that is pretty darn cool. You can hook your computer up to your cell via a wire or bluetooth and have internet access. Your normal minute rates apply.

I am probably going this way next.
LetItRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 10:33 PM   #28
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Sweet, I like Verizon as a company so that's good news.
Old 2005-11-17, 07:32 AM   #29
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
I had nextel and it wasn't too bad in Reno, except it sucked in the South.

Since they merged to Sprint, I jumped ship to Sprint, and so far the coverage seems better. And its cheaper to boot. (and I'm going to abuse my powers and add it to your poll).
Did you just switch plans or something? I have Nextel and I hate my plan, service, customer support everything. I like my phone tho Did you just do like a lateral switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Welcome to the club. Your Outback modded? haha I had Nextel and it sucked horrbily. I really like Verizon, but I haven't used it in Nevada yet.
Lol, had to get that in there huh?

I have Nextel and I freakin hate it because I rarely have service anywhere, esp. in buildings. But I have a couple friends and they never have problems.
JonnydaJibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-17, 07:53 AM   #30
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

I'm frankly pretty happy with my Cingular phone. My folks worked for Nevada Bell for like 30 years each, and if anyone knows about the whole AT&T monopoly thing, Nevada Bell was just a piece of AT&T's pie, so we got fat discounts on their phones. When Cingular bought them out, they gave us the same service deal, so I give them props for that!

I am pretty damn pleased with my service as well! I get great reception! Maybe it's just my Blingin' Rapstar Motorolla Razor Black!!!
Old 2005-11-17, 08:04 AM   #31
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
Did you just switch plans or something? I have Nextel and I hate my plan, service, customer support everything. I like my phone tho Did you just do like a lateral switch?
Yeah, I was 9 months into my Nextel 2 year contract, but they let you switch. They wave the cancellation fee, but you might have to pay a $36 activation fee for Sprint. Some people were able to call customer service to get that waived (they wouldn't waive it for me )
Old 2005-11-17, 10:50 AM   #32
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Wow that is awesome. I'm gonna stop by my local Nextel store today. Or would I stop by my local Sprint store...? Hmm, I'll wing it.
Old 2005-11-17, 10:52 AM   #33
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Wow that is awesome. I'm gonna stop by my local Nextel store today. Or would I stop by my local Sprint store...? Hmm, I'll wing it.
Go to the Sprint store. The people at NEXTEL told us "um, we don't think we're allowed to transfer you, you'll have to pay the early termination fee." Plus they can't set you up w/ a Sprint contract.

The Sprint people, on the other hand, know eactly what time it is.
Old 2005-11-17, 10:52 AM   #34
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Stop by the sprint store. The Nextel stores (in Reno) don't carry Sprint phones due to some wierd legal issue.
Old 2005-11-17, 10:59 AM   #35
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Damn cellular providers. Sprint it is then. Ooo now I'm kinda excited.
Old 2005-11-17, 02:29 PM   #36
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Good luck!
Old 2005-11-18, 07:18 AM   #37
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Damn it, I forgot I have to pay off my bill still. =/
Old 2005-11-18, 07:32 PM   #38
Ezdno
EJ251

Car: 1992 F250 1T Monster
Class: none

They were all dead when I got here!

I have T-Mobile, drops service alot, but overall I am satisfied with their product.
Old 2006-01-16, 09:33 PM   #39
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

I just switched to Verizon from Cingular and IMHO its night and day. I hardly loose coverage anywhere, even in Boca, where Cingular would drop right off I80 the calls are clearer to. I like the phone (E815) better too. It also has a place to store phots and is easy to get ringtones. The mobile web is very fast for a cell service also.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 08:42 AM   #40
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Stop by the sprint store. The Nextel stores (in Reno) don't carry Sprint phones due to some wierd legal issue.
Ok it's now 5 months later and the people at Sprint said that they don't even know if I can switch or not...bitches. He said they are basically two seperate entities. I was like well then how are my friends who have had Nextel switching to Sprint and he was like Uhhh I'm gay I dunno. Does anybody that has experience with this have actual numbers I can call to do this? I HATE NEXTEL. SAVE MY SOUL.
Old 2006-04-04, 08:46 AM   #41
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I still am stuck with Cingular, but my contract will be up soon! Post updated opinions on who I should go with if anything has changed please.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 09:24 AM   #42
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Ok it's now 5 months later and the people at Sprint said that they don't even know if I can switch or not...bitches. He said they are basically two seperate entities. I was like well then how are my friends who have had Nextel switching to Sprint and he was like Uhhh I'm gay I dunno. Does anybody that has experience with this have actual numbers I can call to do this? I HATE NEXTEL. SAVE MY SOUL.
Go to the Sprint store, they can switch you over. They did it for me, and like 4 other SECCS people.
Old 2006-04-04, 09:27 AM   #43
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Go to the Sprint store, they can switch you over. They did it for me, and like 4 other SECCS people.
Yeah I went last week and the dude said that they are basically two seperate entities still and that I would have to talk to a Nextel person. Then I told him what you just said, and he was like go to Nextel. I don't know what to think anymore. Hopefully that guy just didn't know what he was talking about.
Old 2006-04-04, 09:29 AM   #44
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Yeah I went last week and the dude said that they are basically two seperate entities still and that I would have to talk to a Nextel person. Then I told him what you just said, and he was like go to Nextel. I don't know what to think anymore. Hopefully that guy just didn't know what he was talking about.
Talk to someone else at Sprint. If the guy there says he can't do it, it's only because he's a lazy bastard. They have a phone number to call to switch you over... at some point they'll hand you the phone so you can verify you're who you say you are, but other than that, they handle the transaction.
Old 2006-04-04, 09:52 AM   #45
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Talk to someone else at Sprint. If the guy there says he can't do it, it's only because he's a lazy bastard. They have a phone number to call to switch you over... at some point they'll hand you the phone so you can verify you're who you say you are, but other than that, they handle the transaction.
Sweet. I just got some contact number for Nextel as well so hopefully one way or another I can rid my soul of this demon seed that is a service provider. I'm pretty sure I could provide better cellular phone coverage with a broken phonograph, some foil and an erector set.

Last edited by JonnydaJibba; 2006-04-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2006-04-04, 11:36 AM   #46
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

This reminded me that I found this site, the cell site maps are pretty interesting.

http://www.renowirelessinfo.com/#OtherLinks
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 11:40 AM   #47
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Ok so after getting the runaround for a bit, I was told by somebody at the Sprint help center or soemthing to go to a Sprint store and they will take care of it. That dude I initially spoke to was just a douche apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
This reminded me that I found this site, the cell site maps are pretty interesting.
http://www.renowirelessinfo.com/#OtherLinks
That's not a bad site. It is interesting to see what the companies do to disguise and hide their antennas.

Last edited by JonnydaJibba; 2006-04-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2006-04-05, 09:00 AM   #48
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Well I am a happy Sprint customer now!
Old 2006-04-05, 09:55 AM   #49
XActive
n00b

Car: 06 STI, Black - Stock

If your not sideways, it's not fast enough!

If you want the geek factor, then it would have to be Sprint or Verizon. They are the only companies that have the PPC-6700 phone that has the mobile PC version 5. I have the Sprint version and I am happywith my service and its capabilities (moved from nextel). Phone does everything a laptop does, and more.
XActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 11:18 AM   #50
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Ok, time for me to change carriers. Sprint or Verizon, what's the latest on who likes or hates either?

I also want a new phone, I like the red razr, but mostly because it's red and would match my car. (I know, that's a poor requirements definition there.)

I'd like a phone that can take pictures; and it would be handy to be able to get to the internet so I can email when I'm traveling. But I don't think I want a full qwerty keyboard, I think that makes a phone footprint too big.

Help with ideas? Links?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote