Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2010-11-18, 06:37 AM   #1
jeff618

Question Replacement Wiper Blades?

What is everyone using for replacement wiper blades? What do you like? What doesn't work? Please give your wiper blade review:
Old 2010-11-18, 07:19 AM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

A couple options options.

Find inserts for the stock blades, especially if it has an airfoil on it!!! that airfoil keeps it on the window at speed!

Cheapest you can find. Walmart and replace every 6 mos.+

Rain-X when they go on 2 for 1 sale. Good for much longer so far. I am pretty happy with the one set I have.

Biggest key is to clean your blades every time you wash your windows as well as flopping the blade in it's at rest position when you do clean them.
Old 2010-11-18, 08:54 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Most blade with airfoils on them have the wing mounted on the arm, not the blade. Virtually every car in the last 10 years can use the full replacement wiper rather than an insert without loosing the airfoil.

Plus those rain-x/bosch/etc single piece blades all have airfoils built into them. I've been using the Bosch blades, they're pricey, but they seem to work pretty well.
Old 2010-11-18, 09:46 AM   #4
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I'm rockin' cheapies from Advance Auto, but plan to upgrade to something better. The solid piece ones don't work for me. I tossed the RainX ones I tried since they wouldn't fully contact the windshield at the ends. Apparently I'm the exception to the rule though. Nobody else has that issue. I almost grabbed some PIAA silicone ones from Perrin since I just ordered camber bolts from them, but they're over $40 for a set. I'm on the lookout for some stock style replacements that are designed for freezing weather.
Old 2010-11-18, 09:48 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I'm rockin' cheapies from Advance Auto, but plan to upgrade to something better. The solid piece ones don't work for me. I tossed the RainX ones I tried since they wouldn't fully contact the windshield at the ends. Apparently I'm the exception to the rule though. Nobody else has that issue. I almost grabbed some PIAA silicone ones from Perrin since I just ordered camber bolts from them, but they're over $40 for a set. I'm on the lookout for some stock style replacements that are designed for freezing weather.
Sometimes to get the single piece blades to contact correctly, you have to adjust the tension on the wiper arm. Usually a slight bend to the arm one way or the other will do it.

My truck's blades made really poor contact until I bent the arms to put more pressure on the blades.
Old 2010-11-18, 09:57 AM   #6
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Sometimes to get the single piece blades to contact correctly, you have to adjust the tension on the wiper arm. Usually a slight bend to the arm one way or the other will do it.

My truck's blades made really poor contact until I bent the arms to put more pressure on the blades.
I did that after you suggested it the last time we had a thread with this topic. I guess I could try again, but I still feel like the wipers barely work with the more flexible OEM syle blades.
Old 2010-11-18, 10:11 AM   #7
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Where would I go about tracking down a set of the wipers with the air foils? I need new arms? There's a STi part out that might have a set, I need a couple little pieces for the interior so I might try to grab the wipers as well.

My wipers don't do a thing at 50+, lower speeds they're great. Time for new blades, but I wanted to get the air foil style as well as decent blades.

I've been using the Rain X blades on every car for years and love them. Not snow proof so might try to get a set of the enclosed ones for the WRX, but the Rain X are the best I've used in non-freezing conditions (better than Bosche IMO).
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 10:27 AM   #8
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I've had the PIAA silicone blades for a long time, 6 or 7 years now. I've never owned a wiper that lasts as long and works as well. I've only replaced the inserts in them twice since the original purchase. They are initially expensive but I feel they are more cost effective in the long run over buying cheap blades 2 or 3 times a year.

I am using the Goodyear one piece blades from Costco on my truck and my wife's car and they work pretty well, both sets have lasted about a year now. They are only $8 each for any size and are basically the same design as the Bosch or Rain-X blades that cost ~$20 each.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 11:10 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I did that after you suggested it the last time we had a thread with this topic. I guess I could try again, but I still feel like the wipers barely work with the more flexible OEM syle blades.
I *almost* went and posted the ms-paint picture from that thread in here.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:26 PM   #10
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Most blade with airfoils on them have the wing mounted on the arm, not the blade. Virtually every car in the last 10 years can use the full replacement wiper rather than an insert without loosing the airfoil.
Except apparently Subaru Imprezas and Audi A4s. The stock driver side blade on my WRX and STI have the airfoil on the blade as do all the B5 A4s.

And Dealerships are more than happy to sell you inserts for factory blades at twice the price of a new blade form Walmart...

You can also mail order inserts fairly cheaply on-line if you are ordering something else that helps handle the shipping fees.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:34 PM   #11
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19 View Post
I've had the PIAA silicone blades for a long time, 6 or 7 years now. I've never owned a wiper that lasts as long and works as well. I've only replaced the inserts in them twice since the original purchase. They are initially expensive but I feel they are more cost effective in the long run over buying cheap blades 2 or 3 times a year.

I am using the Goodyear one piece blades from Costco on my truck and my wife's car and they work pretty well, both sets have lasted about a year now. They are only $8 each for any size and are basically the same design as the Bosch or Rain-X blades that cost ~$20 each.
Damn, I should have just bought them. Wish I had known. I've always heard PIAA bulbs are overpriced so just figured their wiper blades were too. Where's the best place to get them?
Old 2010-11-18, 12:42 PM   #12
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

Quote:
Damn, I should have just bought them. Wish I had known. I've always heard PIAA bulbs are overpriced so just figured their wiper blades were too. Where's the best place to get them?
Tire rack and Summit have them. I think tirerack is cheaper if you are going out there...
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 08:26 PM   #13
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Tirerack is about $7 cheaper for the set, I don't know if it's worth the extra gas/time to drive out there.

I do agree that the PIAA bulbs are overpriced, but the wipers have been awesome.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and they are the same price as Tirerack, with free shipping.

Last edited by khail19; 2010-11-18 at 08:38 PM.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 10:22 PM   #14
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

Ive been stoked on the Valeos from tirerack, 2 for 1 sale all the time, no moving parts, built in sort of airfoil. 2.5 yrs, 2 winters on mine, gonna replace them before full winter.
Old 2010-11-18, 11:16 PM   #15
zpeed
EJ251

Car: 06 S2000
Class: RNP & PDX

I always get a cheap insert and replace every year. I should go get a new one tomorrow.
zpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 11:43 PM   #16
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpeed View Post
I always get a cheap insert and replace every year. I should go get a new one tomorrow.
Where in Reno/sparks carries just inserts anymore???

The Trico 47-800 looks like the perfect Subaru refill option at least 2002-7. A pair of 8mm square break to fit refills for $7!
Old 2010-11-19, 10:57 AM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Except apparently Subaru Imprezas and Audi A4s. The stock driver side blade on my WRX and STI have the airfoil on the blade as do all the B5 A4s.
Um... no they don't?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrx_wiper.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	6061  

Old 2010-11-19, 11:23 AM   #18
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Um... no they don't?
Weird. I thought my WRX was the same as my STI... The Audi driver side is similar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0296 cropped.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	6062  

Name:	DSCF0297 cropped.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	6063  

Old 2010-11-19, 11:35 AM   #19
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

HaHa!!! Napa in sparks can get the Trico 47-800 (and others) which is a pair of snap to fit refills that should fit any 8mm rectangular claw blade which the STI are. $7.29!!!

These fit from 15" through 26"!!!

Not bad. They are cheaper on the Internet, but shipping kills it.

KSpeed, can you get these any cheaper?
Old 2010-11-19, 01:15 PM   #20
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Our supplier doesn't carry Trico. And they're $4 products Dean, how much discount do you think we get?
Old 2010-11-19, 01:31 PM   #21
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Our supplier doesn't carry Trico. And they're $4 products Dean, how much discount do you think we get?
Let me rephrase. I would rather give you guys the $7 bucks than Napa. Thought you might also want to have them for people who want refills. Whatever.
Old 2010-11-19, 02:04 PM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Let me rephrase. I would rather give you guys the $7 bucks than Napa. Thought you might also want to have them for people who want refills. Whatever.
NAPA on Glendale basically wholesales to everybody. There's little or no extra discount for us there, though yes, we can get those blades or any other maintenance item for anybody who asks. But after markup to cover credit card fees etc., we'd actually have to charge you more than they would in most cases. We typically use Kragen/O'Reilly for most non-OE parts, and they're usually a bit cheaper. Our market from wholesale price is larger than the wholesale discount, so we can usually beat a Kragen price.

O'Reilly lists Anco, Rain-X and Bosch for Subarus in wiper blades, no inserts that I can find. The Aerovantage blades would cost $7.97 passenger/$9.11 driver each. They have some standard ones that are a little more than half of that, and they carry some winter blades cheap that I like to use. I personally prefer the cheaper blades because I like to switch between the winters and the el cheapos depending on season.

I meant to post last week that we'll throw in wiper blades and washer fluid for free with a 15k or higher service. Now you all know.
Old 2010-11-20, 12:52 PM   #23
doubleurx
EJ205

+1 on the Valeo blades. Tirerack always has them priced 2 for 1. Cost me $19.95 for both fronts.
Old 2010-11-22, 01:02 PM   #24
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19 View Post
Tirerack is about $7 cheaper for the set, I don't know if it's worth the extra gas/time to drive out there.

I do agree that the PIAA bulbs are overpriced, but the wipers have been awesome.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and they are the same price as Tirerack, with free shipping.
Sweet. Thanks. This is what I got:

Quote:
Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $38.23
Shipping & Handling: $10.69
Super Saver Discount: -$10.69
------
Total for this Order: $38.23

Delivery estimate: November 26, 2010 - December 1, 2010 1 "PIAA 95043 Super Silicone Black Wiper Blade - 17""
Misc.; $16.99

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Delivery estimate: November 26, 2010 - December 1, 2010 1 "PIAA 93355 Super Sporza Silicone Wiper Blade with Black Spoiler - 22""
Misc.; $21.24

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
So for my driver side, I got the Super Sporza which has a spoiler to reduce lift at high speeds. I've got the same spoiler on the arm as Sperry's pic above, but I'm hoping the 2nd spoiler helps to further keep the blade flush against the windshield. Unfortunately the passenger side is an inch shorter than their shortest Super Sporza blade so I got the normal silicone blade for the PS. Other than the spoiler, they appear to be identicle.

http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/sporza.html

Last edited by cody; 2010-11-22 at 01:15 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:19 PM   #25
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Cody, for future reference, you can run wider blades than the factory sizes. I just measured mine, and I've got a 22" driver and 18" passenger blade on the car. IIRC, that's 1" wider on the passenger side than spec.