Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2011-08-09, 09:10 PM   #1
szucchet
EJ22

Car: 2004 Subaru STI
Class: 04 TSM

smooth is fast
Default blown headgasket

so as some of u may already know i have a blown headgasket. i have a few questions.

how much should i do to the engine, would it be safe to just replace gasket or do i just need to rebuild the engine (has 105k)?

does anybody know anybody with a trailer big enough for my car? i have access to a truck just not a trailer and i need to get my car down to sac.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:37 PM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

So, you confirmed the gasket?

If you have to pull the motor to do the head, at minimum, do both gaskets, timing belt and idlers if you haven't already. You could add water and 11mm oil pump if you want to that.

You could obviously do more to the motor while it is out. Pistons and rings would be the simplest next step (This is where I am with the top list.) all the way to larger valves, injectors, turbo, etc...

Where is it? Why get it to Sac? Do the work yourself? Sorry, my trailer is full of a dead mercury.
Old 2011-08-11, 07:44 PM   #3
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

its like 99% sure that is a blown head gasket the car is in incline village at my moms house. i need to get it to sac to the shop i work at. I am planning on doing all the work myself with the exception of any machining.

i decided to just go ahead and rebuild the engine. i don't really know what to expect from till i tear it apart but ill likely need help deciding on parts to and not to replace. ill likely make a motor rebuild thread once i start tear down.
Old 2011-08-11, 07:48 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

If you have the truck, you can probably rent a trailer for pretty cheap for a day.
Old 2011-08-11, 09:52 PM   #5
silversuby
EJ18

Car: 02 wrx

I had good luck with trailer rentals from uhaul. Bummer about all this. Good luck with the build. Just curious but what shop do you work at in sac?
silversuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 07:52 AM   #6
Blueline Tuning
EJ18

Car: 2007 Kawasaki ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
So, you confirmed the gasket?

If you have to pull the motor to do the head, at minimum, do both gaskets, timing belt and idlers if you haven't already. You could add water and 11mm oil pump if you want to that.

You could obviously do more to the motor while it is out. Pistons and rings would be the simplest next step (This is where I am with the top list.) all the way to larger valves, injectors, turbo, etc...

Where is it? Why get it to Sac? Do the work yourself? Sorry, my trailer is full of a dead mercury.
+1 on the timing belt and seals, if not done recently. You're due for that anyway at 105K+
Blueline Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 09:42 AM   #7
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

Update... Got the car down to sac. I did the block check for the coolant, the I did a compression test and leakdown and it passed. I also pressure tested the cooling system. I found a leaking waterpump. I will b doing the timing belt, waterpump, crank seal and cam seals latter today or tomorrow. If it all goes well I should be at the last auto-x next week..

Is there any tricks, tips or anything I should know about the job? I've done sohc timing belts on legacy but never done the seals or a dohc
Old 2011-09-24, 09:44 AM   #8
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversuby View Post
I had good luck with trailer rentals from uhaul. Bummer about all this. Good luck with the build. Just curious but what shop do you work at in sac?
I'm a smog tech in woodland called Presision auto care
Old 2011-09-24, 09:59 AM   #9
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucchet View Post
Update... Got the car down to sac. I did the block check for the coolant, the I did a compression test and leakdown and it passed. I also pressure tested the cooling system. I found a leaking waterpump. I will b doing the timing belt, waterpump, crank seal and cam seals latter today or tomorrow. If it all goes well I should be at the last auto-x next week..

Is there any tricks, tips or anything I should know about the job? I've done sohc timing belts on legacy but never done the seals or a dohc
Did you check coolant for HydroCarbons? The typical leak is combustion gases into the coolant. Only catastrophic failures have coolant in the oil and such.

A cold block may well pass compression, leakdown and coolant pressure tests and still be bad.
Old 2011-09-24, 11:56 AM   #10
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:

There are a couple of dirty little tricks. Once you get the covers off, just give me a call and I'll tell you how I go about lining everything up, and removing the cam gears. If I don't answer, I'll get back to you asap. I'll be working on cars this weekend too...
Old 2011-09-24, 12:36 PM   #11
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Search YouTube for meaty's timing belt install. He made a really nice 5 part video.
Old 2011-10-17, 10:57 AM   #12
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Did you check coolant for HydroCarbons? The typical leak is combustion gases into the coolant. Only catastrophic failures have coolant in the oil and such.

A cold block may well pass compression, leakdown and coolant pressure tests and still be bad.
yes the block test is the coolant test and its not overheating anymore. kinda wierd but the water pump is leaking for sure
Old 2011-10-17, 10:59 AM   #13
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
There are a couple of dirty little tricks. Once you get the covers off, just give me a call and I'll tell you how I go about lining everything up, and removing the cam gears. If I don't answer, I'll get back to you asap. I'll be working on cars this weekend too...
hey im def going to call you. i havent done it because i was missing the cam seals and havent had time lately due to finally graduating from school but i have time now. i think im doing wheel bearing this weekend anf the timming belt weekend after that. thanks cory!!!
Old 2011-10-17, 12:47 PM   #14
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
graduating from school
Congrats, Dude!
Old 2012-02-15, 07:36 PM   #15
szucchet
EJ22

smooth is fast

so car started acting up again block tested it this morning and failed . I'm moving to Atlanta in 3 weeks and i really need to fix the car. so my real problem is I'm short on funds (have about 2k saved for this) and at the job I'm have right now there is a strict no working on your own car policy. id like to see if anybody could help me out by maybe renting me a spot to do it and maybe giving me a hand.
Ive never done a head gasket on a Subaru but I'm pretty good tech (have lots of tools as well).

I also need to buy parts I kinda figure i would need a complete engine gasket kit (oil pan, valve covers are leaking), oil pump and either studs or bolts?

I did a timing belt, water pump, pulleys, cam seals and crank seals about 4 moths ago so i don't think I'll need those.

thanks,
silvio
Old 2012-02-16, 12:34 PM   #16
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Quote:
I also need to buy parts I kinda figure i would need a complete engine gasket kit (oil pan, valve covers are leaking), oil pump and either studs or bolts?

I did a timing belt, water pump, pulleys, cam seals and crank seals about 4 months ago so i don't think I'll need those.

thanks,
silvio
You are better off buying the individual gaskets you need rather than a whole engine set. I wouldn't consider using anything other than Subaru OE head gaskets.

Check the heads and block for warpage ( < .0014") and the heads for cracks. Be careful cleaning the deck surfaces - no motorized scotchbrite pads, etc. You can remove enough material to jeopardize the gasket seal if you overdo it.

Last edited by knucklesplitter; 2012-02-16 at 12:36 PM.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote