Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2003-01-10, 05:27 PM   #1
imprezton
EJ18

Default Shifter Bushings (Attn: khail)

Khail, did you get your bushings in that you ordered from MotorMatrix yet? I was wondering if you could tell me how they fit and maybe I could look at it someday. I've read the NASIOC threads, but I need to see with my own eyes (remember me vs. CAI).

I've got the shifter in. feels nice, maybe half the throw of stock. Now I gotta trim down the leather boot though
imprezton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-14, 06:24 PM   #2
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Hey man,

I put them in last week. The shifter is nice, but it does feel slightly better with the bushings installed. You can't really see it without jacking up the car though, so I'll try to be detailed for you here. On the left (driver's) side of the tranny, look for the rod coming from the shifter. It's the same one you have already bolted to the short shift lever at the top. Follow it down to the pivot point, which is where the bushing is. It's kinda hard to get to on my car, yours is probably similar. You take off a 12mm (I think?) nut, and the funny shaped washer off. The stud going through the bushing is attached to the tranny, don't break it or you are screwed. You pull the rod with the bushing off the stud, then you have to get the bushing out. It's a one piece bushing, so it is not easy. I ended cutting mine up and removing it in pieces. Then put the new bushings in ( I put some grease on mine first so they don't squeak, but the directions don't say to), and put everything back together. The funny shaped washer only goes back on one way, with the pointy part going up. The nut (make sure you use Loc-tite, you don't want this coming off later) should be torqued to 15 lb-ft, which is about a half turn past hand tight. Tighten the nut down all the way first, to make sure the bushings are in all the way, then back it off and re-tighten to 15 ft-lbs. If you tighten it too much, the shifter will bind up so run through the gears before you let your car back down to make sure it isn't too tight. That's about it. Like I said, not a huge difference, but noticeably less rubbery feeling. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions. See ya.

Khail
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote