Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2002-12-06, 01:00 PM   #1
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon
Default vishnu installation

If I were to purchase the stage sub-zero vishnu package, is it basically DIY, or should I attempt to find a installation center around somewhere? t doesn't seem that it would be that difficult.
ArthurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-12-06, 02:25 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Well, there's nothing that can't be handled at home, assuming you have all the tools listed in the instructions, and you don't break anything along the way.

The hardest part by far is the up-pipe installation. To have to take off a ton of the exhaust (right side headers, downpipe, and of course the up-pipe). It's a dirty and physical job with all the pipe wrestling that has to go on.

The spark plugs aren't easy like most cars... you gotta move lots of stuff like the intake, battery and washer fluid bottle.

The underdrive pulley requires some serious elbow-grease, even after liberal amount of liquid wrench.

Removing and installing the intercooler requires lots of wiggling and yanking. Especially if you get the silicon pipes like I did.

The wiring and plumbing for the ECU and boost controller is a since if you've ever wired a car stereo. Make sure to get the wiring harness... it's over priced, but without it you can't revert the ECU back to stock w/o repairing some wires.

I'd say on a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being an oil change, and 10 being an engine rebuild, Stage 0 is about a 7. There's lots of things to do, and all of them have their quirks.

I did mine, and it took about 14 hours over 2 days. I could probably do it in around 8 hours now that I've done it once. Actually I had a leak in the up-pipe/turbo joint, and had to re-do the up-pipe (the worst part!!). The 1st time took about 7 hours, the second time was only about 4. Unfortunately, I *still* have a leak!! Make sure you order the big thick gaskets available somewhere on www.NASIOC.com And when you order them, let me know where you got them, cuz I can't seem to find the guy who's selling them... I think his name's Bill Cook.

So, it's definately possible to do yourself, but it's also hard work. I figured the $700 Diablo Imports was gonna charge me (I think that's how much they said it'd be), plus the time I'd have to take off work to go to the Bay on a weekday, wasn't worth it. Plus it's pretty satisfying to get it done yourself... until the exhaust leaks!

If you want help working on it, I'd be happy to drop by!

EDIT: I just noticed you were talking about stage Sub-Zero, not Stage 0.... you get out of the easy parts... hehe.
Old 2002-12-06, 02:59 PM   #3
Anonymous
n00b

well, did you get the stage sub-zero or did you just do 0 first. I read somewhere that you should go in steps, if not then I might as well just save up for awhile and try and get the stage 0 or maybe if I get enough mony togeather a stage 1.

Either way, I think I am going for the torque converter and tranny cooler first. I have read its a pretty good thing to start out with for the price.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-12-06, 03:00 PM   #4
ArthurS
EJ207

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was me by the way......damn cookie didn't save.
Old 2002-12-06, 03:04 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
well, did you get the stage sub-zero or did you just do 0 first.
I ordered Stage 0 before Sub-Zero came out. Sub-Zero came out because they were working on the EMI Adapter for the other kits, and realized that by itself it worked pretty well. So they made a "Sub-Zero" that's Stage-0 w/o the Unichip and MBC.

Performance-wise they're pretty close, but Stage 0 can handle more mods (Unichip remapping), while Sub-Zero is pretty much as is, AFAIK.
Old 2002-12-06, 03:17 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Cool. Well, when and if I get the parts, i may need your help. Until then, gatta save up for the torque converter and tranny cooler which should run me around 600-700$ plus install fee wherever I can get that done at.

My original plan was to have this as my just stock driving car, and I was going to try and buy a 1985-1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS or Buick Grand National and Mod one of those out. But the WRX is just so much more fun and the AWD is just awsome. So I think Ill stick to throwing mods onto this one.
Old 2002-12-06, 05:20 PM   #7
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Hey Hey, I am looking to do much of the same work soon, And I have a feeling the uppipe is the most difficult and time consuming part. So we shall see. I'd love to help with yours, becasue I'm, sure that would make it easier when I go to do mine. And if Scott wanted to supervise...then

ALSO, You might want to make sure that the Vishnu parts have the necessary clearence for the Auto transmission. I've heard there are some fitment issues on some kits, but I'm not sure. Ask lots of questions before you buy.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-12-06, 05:26 PM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

I have emailed Vishnu about that issue with the the 4EAT tranny. They said it should be fine until later stages of upgrading. When do you plan on getting your uppipe? We could make a install night or something at some point and have sperry monitor my every wrong move.
Old 2002-12-06, 05:39 PM   #9
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Not until after the new year at least...
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote