Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Vendor Correspondence

Vendor Correspondence Press releases, announcements, sales and official correspondence from vendors in the local community.

Old 2013-01-18, 09:57 AM   #51
SpecB#127
EJ18

Car: 2006 Legacy GT Spec B #127/500

How much would the following cost on a 2006 Legacy GT:

1. Clutch and Flywheel replacement (I bring the parts)
2. Timing Belt Replacement (I bring the parts)

TIA!
Mine: 2006 Legacy GT Spec B #127/500
Hers: 2004 Dodge Durango Limited
Ours: 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
SpecB#127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 10:20 AM   #52
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I used to be super gung ho on supplying my own parts because it often saves money, but I wish I hadn't for my recent clutch install. The clutch feels like ass and the shop, although a good Subaru shop here in Santa Rosa, doesn't warranty work when you supply your own parts. It's posted right on their wall, but seeing the sign when I picked up the car from them was the first I had heard of that. Definitely weigh the pros and cons so you're a happy customer.
Old 2013-01-18, 10:24 AM   #53
SpecB#127
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I used to be super gung ho on supplying my own parts because it often saves money, but I wish I hadn't for my recent clutch install. The clutch feels like ass and the shop, although a good Subaru shop here in Santa Rosa, doesn't warranty work when you supply your own parts. It's posted right on their wall, but seeing the sign when I picked up the car from them was the first I had heard of that. Definitely weigh the pros and cons so you're a happy customer.
Good point. I guess I would have to weigh what I can get the kit I am looking at for versus what they can get it for and go from there.

However, I definitely would not want to deal with warranty issues.

Last edited by SpecB#127; 2013-02-07 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 2013-01-18, 10:34 AM   #54
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB#127 View Post
Good point. I guess I would have to weigh what I can get the kit I am looking at for versus what they can get it for and go from there.

However, I definitely would not want to seal with warranty issues.
KSpeed is good people, and subaru enthusiasts. Hell, they've all been members on this site since before KSpeed was started up.

They'll get the good parts for you... probably even the silly stuff like a conversion to a single-mass flywheel or whatever if that's the route you're interested in. And I can't imagine they'd be too far off from whatever price you'd be getting off the internet since they buy from all the same people, but at wholesale prices.
Old 2013-01-18, 10:45 AM   #55
SpecB#127
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
KSpeed is good people, and subaru enthusiasts. Hell, they've all been members on this site since before KSpeed was started up.

They'll get the good parts for you... probably even the silly stuff like a conversion to a single-mass flywheel or whatever if that's the route you're interested in. And I can't imagine they'd be too far off from whatever price you'd be getting off the internet since they buy from all the same people, but at wholesale prices.
That is exactly where my thought process was going. One of the vendors I support on the legacygt.com site has a complete kit with the SMFW and clutch kit for my 06 for around $800 that I have been looking at. I just cannot believe that I have 85K on the original clutch that came with the car. Perhaps that is because in spite of all the posturing that I ever did when I bought the car, it turned into my daily instead of a mad-hi power-track-strip car.

I guess having 4 kids will do that to you
Old 2013-01-18, 11:29 AM   #56
KSpeed Auto
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB#127 View Post
That is exactly where my thought process was going. One of the vendors I support on the legacygt.com site has a complete kit with the SMFW and clutch kit for my 06 for around $800 that I have been looking at. I just cannot believe that I have 85K on the original clutch that came with the car. Perhaps that is because in spite of all the posturing that I ever did when I bought the car, it turned into my daily instead of a mad-hi power-track-strip car.

I guess having 4 kids will do that to you
Tom, in order to compare our parts prices, we would need to know which kit are you referring to. Installation would take 3.5 hours, totaling $280.

Also, as Cody said, keep in mind that with customer supplied parts, we cannot offer a full warranty. In this case, we will warranty the installation but not the parts.

In order to get the best bang for your buck, a timing belt and water pump kit is your best bet. With your parts, you would pay $245 out the door. If we supplied parts (Gates timing belt and water pump kit, OE water pump gasket, coolant, OE thermostat and gasket) , the total would be $610.

We use the Gates timing belt and water pump kits, and do not recommend the "blue" belt, because it has a tendency to be too stiff, which will decrease horsepower. A full warranty will include parts and installation when we provide and install all the parts listed above. Note: we prefer the OE thermostat and gaskets, because they tend to have a much lower failure rate than the aftermarket ones.

Give us a call to schedule an appointment!
(775) 284-1011
kspeedauto@gmail.com

Check us out on Yelp.

Last edited by KSpeed Auto; 2013-01-18 at 11:31 AM.
KSpeed Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 11:45 AM   #57
SpecB#127
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpeed Auto View Post
Tom, in order to compare our parts prices, we would need to know which kit are you referring to. Installation would take 3.5 hours, totaling $280.

Also, as Cody said, keep in mind that with customer supplied parts, we cannot offer a full warranty. In this case, we will warranty the installation but not the parts.

In order to get the best bang for your buck, a timing belt and water pump kit is your best bet. With your parts, you would pay $245 out the door. If we supplied parts (Gates timing belt and water pump kit, OE water pump gasket, coolant, OE thermostat and gasket) , the total would be $610.

We use the Gates timing belt and water pump kits, and do not recommend the "blue" belt, because it has a tendency to be too stiff, which will decrease horsepower. A full warranty will include parts and installation when we provide and install all the parts listed above. Note: we prefer the OE thermostat and gaskets, because they tend to have a much lower failure rate than the aftermarket ones.

Give us a call to schedule an appointment!
(775) 284-1011
That's funny about the Gates kit as that was the complete kit (non blue) I was looking at .

Here is a link to the clutch kit I am looking at:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-11-WRX/Detail

Those prices look really good. When I get closer to doing these two items, I will definitely bring my car on over. Thanks!
Old 2013-01-18, 12:56 PM   #58
KSpeed Auto
EJ22

Tom,

Competition Clutch kits are definitely some great stuff! The kit with flywheel is available through our distributor, and we can match the prices listed on InfamousPerformance.net!

We look forward to seeing you soon!
kspeedauto@gmail.com

Check us out on Yelp.
Old 2013-01-18, 12:59 PM   #59
SpecB#127
EJ18

Quote:
Tom,

Competition Clutch kits are definitely some great stuff! The kit with flywheel is available through our distributor, and we can match the prices listed on InfamousPerformance.net!

We look forward to seeing you soon!
That is good to know. I will definitely hit you guys up when I am ready and 'Keep it Local'!
Old 2013-02-28, 01:31 AM   #60
Double_Rs
EJ18

Car: 2007 STI

Hey guys, I actually pass by your shop everyday on my way to work at Fedex Freight, which is pretty much your guy's backyard I think lol. Maybe I'll stop by and check out your spot and meet some new faces. Pretty new to the subaru community still, going on my 3rd week owning my rex.

But I want to ask, I'm due for my oil change pretty soon (which I can do myself) but that'll be at 92,000 miles. I'm not sure if the previous owner did the 60k mile service on this car so I'm thinking of getting that done by either you guys or Lithia (kinda skeptical about them...or any shop actually) just to make sure that everything is changed out properly. It seems you guys are the trusted shop for the local subie onwers so I wanted to inquire with you first before I even think about heading to the stealership. I mostly do everything on my own to learn my cars (which usually takes a lot of time since I research everything I have to do) but I'm still new and its coming up quick so I might as well get this done professionally.

Last edited by Double_Rs; 2013-02-28 at 01:33 AM.
Double_Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 10:01 AM   #61
KSpeed Auto
EJ22

We can absolutely take care of your 90k service Ralph. That usually runs about $325 give or take for a turbo Subaru using Royal Purple oil, plus another $150 or so if you want us to do spark plugs, which are usually part of the 60k and 120k service. Bot prices are far, far better than at either Subaru dealer locally, and extremely competitive among the aftermarket shops in the area.
kspeedauto@gmail.com

Check us out on Yelp.
Old 2013-02-28, 11:23 AM   #62
Double_Rs
EJ18

Quote:
We can absolutely take care of your 90k service Ralph. That usually runs about $325 give or take for a turbo Subaru using Royal Purple oil, plus another $150 or so if you want us to do spark plugs, which are usually part of the 60k and 120k service. Bot prices are far, far better than at either Subaru dealer locally, and extremely competitive among the aftermarket shops in the area.
Sweet, I want to do everything on this list http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...006SchedCA.pdf, replace and perform everything listed for the 60k service, the works. It has everything the 90k service has but with some additions like the fuel filter and plugs from what I can see. This is the first "mod" I guess I want to do since the car is new to me.

I'm a little hesitant on using royal purple though. I haven't had personal experience with that brand during my honda days, but knew a few friends who ran it with their RSXs and complained that they were burning a lot of oil with that brand, then switched over to Mobil1 and said it improved as far as oil consumption (checking levels every week). I don't know if there's any technological explanation for this or they're just goons mashing on their vtec all day, but its prompted me to stick with the oil I've used anyways (Mobil1 full synthetic) ever since I got my integra. What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that I'm only using my rex for a DD so I might not even reach the temps to fully use the advantages of using Purple.
Old 2013-02-28, 12:49 PM   #63
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Rs View Post
Sweet, I want to do everything on this list http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...006SchedCA.pdf, replace and perform everything listed for the 60k service, the works. It has everything the 90k service has but with some additions like the fuel filter and plugs from what I can see. This is the first "mod" I guess I want to do since the car is new to me.

I'm a little hesitant on using royal purple though. I haven't had personal experience with that brand during my honda days, but knew a few friends who ran it with their RSXs and complained that they were burning a lot of oil with that brand, then switched over to Mobil1 and said it improved as far as oil consumption (checking levels every week). I don't know if there's any technological explanation for this or they're just goons mashing on their vtec all day, but its prompted me to stick with the oil I've used anyways (Mobil1 full synthetic) ever since I got my integra. What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that I'm only using my rex for a DD so I might not even reach the temps to fully use the advantages of using Purple.
Run as fast and as far away from Mobile 1 as possible. It's well documented that since the formula change they made a few years back that turbo Subaru motors burn it easily and like to have bearing failures.

Royal Purple and Red Line are the top two recommended oils, with Rotella T6 a great oil at a cheaper price. If you're not racing the car (or beating on it more than normal), I'd just go with the Rotella. But I just use whatever KSpeed has in stock since I decided to stop doing my own oil changes and started supporting the shop with whatever work I can send their way.

Right now, I have (mostly) Royal Purple in my Outback XT, Red Line in my WRX track car, and Rotella in my Miata (the Rotella is the recommended oil people use to avoid the dreaded lifter tick that the HLAs generate).
Old 2013-02-28, 03:45 PM   #64
Double_Rs
EJ18

Quote:
Run as fast and as far away from Mobile 1 as possible. It's well documented that since the formula change they made a few years back that turbo Subaru motors burn it easily and like to have bearing failures.

Royal Purple and Red Line are the top two recommended oils, with Rotella T6 a great oil at a cheaper price. If you're not racing the car (or beating on it more than normal), I'd just go with the Rotella. But I just use whatever KSpeed has in stock since I decided to stop doing my own oil changes and started supporting the shop with whatever work I can send their way.

Right now, I have (mostly) Royal Purple in my Outback XT, Red Line in my WRX track car, and Rotella in my Miata (the Rotella is the recommended oil people use to avoid the dreaded lifter tick that the HLAs generate).
Woah thanks for the heads up. Obviously I haven't kept up with the oil news haha. But it seems like I'll be going with royal purple or rotella then. I'm interested in how it reduces the valvetrain tick (gonna research this brand a little more). Noob question, what are HLAs?
Old 2013-02-28, 05:00 PM   #65
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

HLA = hydraulic lash adjuster. They're the lifters on a miata motor. Subarus don't have them, since most Subarus use a bucket/shim for lash adjustment.

Old oil clogs the miata HLAs up if they don't drain completely after the motor is turned off allowing an eventual gap between the cam and valve that makes a ticking noise. The Rotella, for whatever reason, just seems to work well to prevent the HLAs from clogging and ticking.
Old 2013-02-28, 05:46 PM   #66
Double_Rs
EJ18

Quote:
HLA = hydraulic lash adjuster. They're the lifters on a miata motor. Subarus don't have them, since most Subarus use a bucket/shim for lash adjustment.

Old oil clogs the miata HLAs up if they don't drain completely after the motor is turned off allowing an eventual gap between the cam and valve that makes a ticking noise. The Rotella, for whatever reason, just seems to work well to prevent the HLAs from clogging and ticking.
I see. I guess royal purple it is then. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be stopping by real soon kspeed.
Old 2013-03-01, 08:24 AM   #67
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time

Quote:
Not trying to derail the thread but I had a quick question about this Sperry. I use the extended life M1(15k Mi) formula, since it is formualted different than the reg M1 will I still have the same issues? I had read it had a lot more zddp which was better for wear protection but worse for the cat which was why car mfgs were not recommending it. I do still change it out around 4k mi.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:09 AM   #68
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXlerate View Post
Not trying to derail the thread but I had a quick question about this Sperry. I use the extended life M1(15k Mi) formula, since it is formualted different than the reg M1 will I still have the same issues? I had read it had a lot more zddp which was better for wear protection but worse for the cat which was why car mfgs were not recommending it. I do still change it out around 4k mi.
I don't claim to know much about the whole M1 fiasco. There were just a ton of people on NASIOC that started blowing up motors all around the same time, on the same oil. I lost a motor myself, but who know if I can blame M1 or not, simply because I've blown up a lot of motors at the track regardless of oil.

I think for most people, M1 isn't the end of the world... it just means higher consumption. But if you're beating on the car, or racing, you're likely at a higher risk for issues at high temps. So why run M1 when there are known better oils?
Old 2013-03-20, 01:40 AM   #69
Double_Rs
EJ18

Huge thanks to the guys at Kspeed for giving me a smooth transaction with my 90k mile service. All the hype I've heard are hard facts lol, really great people to deal with. I wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my car. I'll see you guys soon for my stage 2 and fender rolling when that time comes. Oh and I'll drop a review for you guys on yelp as well to help out a bit.
Old 2013-03-20, 07:32 AM   #70
KSpeed Auto
EJ22

Thanks for the kind words Ralph! We appreciate your trust in us to treat your car right.
kspeedauto@gmail.com

Check us out on Yelp.