Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2008-02-14, 08:16 AM   #26
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Oh okay, sorry.
Old 2008-02-14, 10:10 AM   #27
Kavid
EJ22

Car: 09 Impreza 2.5i Sedan No Turbo

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Oh okay, sorry.
no worries, I did get the code scanned this morning and came back with the same EGT Po546 and also two more. I got a PO301 Misfire cyl. 1 and a Po303 Misfire cyl. 3. It is a subaru getting looked at. i will keep you posted. Nobody answered the phone at Greg's, so I took it to Lithia
Old 2008-02-14, 10:35 AM   #28
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

My personal feelings about Lithia aside, that may be the best bet. Keep us updated.
Old 2008-02-14, 05:26 PM   #29
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
I've heard stories of cat material and even the EGT probe itself getting sucked right into the turbo. :eek
I think you jinxed me sir. Well here it is. I got to Subaru and found a lot of things out about my car after they looked at it. Apparently I had a Cat failure which broke up the honeycomb in the cat and sheared off the tip of the EGT probe which caused the first CEL that went away and shoved that into the turbo along with broken Cat parts. Once getting through the turbo and destroying the compressor wheel, etc., it all backed up in the cat in the DP which was adding to my already fucked idle and boost/driving problems also. It also killed the Cat in the DP and some o2 sensors along the way in its travels I guess. I also have some bad gaskets in the exhaust which they claim was by this I guess. I have only had the car for 5000 miles and roughly 6 months. I was told by the local Porsche/Volvo dealer where I bought it that there was one other owner and he was 58 years old. They also told me that the guy lived here and traveled to California often so most of the miles were freeway miles. Turns out that the car I bought is on Subaru of America as an Abused car according to the service manager at Lithia Subaru. It was in and out of the service department A LOT in it's life, and the UP and turbo have been replaced already at roughly 19,000 miles. The car now has 46,000 miles. Apparently it was driven by a younger kid who beat the shit out of it and mostly drove it on the street from what he said. So the service manager was hoping that since that was replaced by the dealership and it maintains a warranty and since the work and parts came from Subaru and same cat in the UP caused the problem that it renewed the warranty on the Cat for 7 years/70,000 miles when it was installed. Since it is the stem of the problem of this $3000 bill just for parts (No Labor) I got at Subaru today, They are going to tear down my car and try to prove the cat was the culprit for sure but for a price of $450 in labor. Even though there is no for sure thing that Subaru will help me out and take care of this and it seemed like a gamble, it seemed like a decent chance they might cover it still and help buy and install all of the broken parts. So I will give that a try and see what happens. Worst case I took it like a big boy to try and save some money and I'll have to install everything from the header back with new/used parts after this trial without a shop with friends. I already have a stock UP and DP and various things accounted for from my friend that has an 07 WRX that he said I could have for free sitting in his garage collecting dust. So basically I need a back up plan if Subaru falls through for your used parts because it is my daily driver and in order to fix it I have to make it to work to make the money to pay for it. They should have an answer for me hopefully by tomorrow or by Monday at the latest. So for the back up plan, here is a list of things I need to possibly PURCHASE from every one's garage if it is possible and you guys have it for my 05 WRX.

Stock turbo
EGT Probe
(2) o2 sensors
All exhaust gaskets (I will probably buy these brand new though)

I have cash in my safe for this stuff and if anyone is interested PLEASE let me know if these parts are even out there if I do need to buy them. I'll do anything but be gay for these parts. You guys have been a great help to me. Thank you very much!
Old 2008-02-14, 05:37 PM   #30
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavid View Post
Stock turbo
EGT Probe
(2) o2 sensors
Paging Scott!!!
Old 2008-02-14, 07:19 PM   #31
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Man, that sucks so bad. If nothing else, at least Lithia said they'd be willing to take a look into it, and see if they can cover it under warranty for you... :crosses fingers for ya:
Old 2008-02-14, 08:56 PM   #32
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

+1 for crossing fingers. That really sucks man. Maybe try to get the parts they take off cuz you can de-cat the stock UP if you're industrious and thourough with it, etc. Your buddies 07 DP won't fit your car unless he includes the midpipe (rear cat) too, but even then I'm not sure all the mounting points are the same. I know this because the aftermarket shorty DP I run won't fit on a MY06/07 without a PreMY06 midpipe. They made the DP shorter or longer basically and vice versa with the midpipe. His UP will be catless though, so if it fits, that would be an upgrade. It's got some sort of smog pump thingy on it though so do the research. Buy new OEM gaskets at the dealer or online, but remember, aftermarket parts will always be way cheaper. Might as well upgrade the UP, DP, even the turbo if you end up having to pay for them. I have the EGT probe and stock UP and DP but really wasn't planning on selling them, but let me know if it comes down to it and you need something fast. We could work something out.
Old 2008-02-15, 07:30 AM   #33
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
+1 for crossing fingers. That really sucks man. Maybe try to get the parts they take off cuz you can de-cat the stock UP if you're industrious and thourough with it, etc. Your buddies 07 DP won't fit your car unless he includes the midpipe (rear cat) too, but even then I'm not sure all the mounting points are the same. I know this because the aftermarket shorty DP I run won't fit on a MY06/07 without a PreMY06 midpipe. They made the DP shorter or longer basically and vice versa with the midpipe. His UP will be catless though, so if it fits, that would be an upgrade. It's got some sort of smog pump thingy on it though so do the research. Buy new OEM gaskets at the dealer or online, but remember, aftermarket parts will always be way cheaper. Might as well upgrade the UP, DP, even the turbo if you end up having to pay for them. I have the EGT probe and stock UP and DP but really wasn't planning on selling them, but let me know if it comes down to it and you need something fast. We could work something out.
He does have the mid pipe also, He has replaced headers, UP, DP, Mid and CBE on his so I think I will be ok. That is one of the main reasons that I wanted his UP because it is catless and hopefully it would make this problem not ever return. The only thing about upgrading the turbo is HAVING to buy engine management to run it along with most likely other fuel related parts to make it run right and I'm trying to be kind of frugal. I have to send my $500 (due to some asshole stealing my identity and me having to pay for it) car payment off today so after sending that I have roughly $1000 sitting in the safe for a rainy day like this to buy parts if Subaru decides to not help me. Although I have spent $450 at Lithia of it to try with this warranty thing. At least they are giving it a try. And thank god for getting paid weekly! I really appreciate the support from all you guys. I'm crossing my fingers also, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Kavid; 2008-02-15 at 07:33 AM.
Kavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 08:24 AM   #34
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Right on. If you do go with a catless UP and no EM, all you need is a "the resistor mod" to make the UP EGT CEL go away. The resistor simply fools the ECU into thinking the EGT is there and registering an acceptable value (temperature). It's easy to install and super cheap too. But, if you don't already have one, I'd install a boost gauge (even if you can only afford a mechanical autometer or something) to ensure you don't have any boost spiking, or atleast research to make sure running a catless UP with no EM is cool. I'd guess it'd be fine and you'll see faster spool.
Old 2008-02-15, 10:21 AM   #35
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Damn man! That's some shitty luck!

I've got a stock WRX turbo for you if you want it. Probably has about 35,000 miles on it. I'll sell it to ya for $50 if you can't get all this covered by Lithia and decide to stick w/ a stock turbo.

I also have my stock EGT sensor somewhere, but the connector for it is cut off. Nothing the connector from your broken sensor and two good crimp connectors can't fix. That's yours for free if you want it.

My O2 sensors are in a box over at Benson Bros. Racing down in Moundhouse. Once my car's running I need to get it down to them for some fabrication work. I wasn't planning on going down there before then though to get the O2 sensors, but that may be a possibility if you really need 'em.
Old 2008-02-15, 11:48 AM   #36
MPREZIV
Token

And the club comes through! Good lookin' out Scott!
Old 2008-02-15, 12:24 PM   #37
MPREZIV
Token

YEAH!!!! Probably before Kavid even heard, I just got a call from Marvin down at Lithia, and they're gonna be able to warranty EVERYTHING!!! Good shit!

That's a +1 for the guys down at Lithia Subaru!
Old 2008-02-15, 02:21 PM   #38
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
YEAH!!!! Probably before Kavid even heard, I just got a call from Marvin down at Lithia, and they're gonna be able to warranty EVERYTHING!!! Good shit!

Wow, that's surprising! Good news.
Old 2008-02-15, 04:42 PM   #39
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post

I went down there and talked to Jeremy and he told me the great news. All new parts and everything covered! Honestly I wasn't expecting it but they came through for me. Definitely +1 for Lithia! I have never prayed in my life, but I did last night and sure as shit everything worked out. I am so happy right now! The only negative is that they will have my daily driver until next Friday, but at this point, I am SO OK with that! I just want to express my thanks to ALL of you guys as a whole, I couldn't ask for a better group of guys to be associated with. I would never expect a group of awesome guys like yourselves to come through for a guy you barely know. It is so greatly appreciated! I am an Electronics Tech (Audio/Video/Server/Computer/Equipment Rack Tech), so if you guys ever need anything in that world do not hesitate to let me know! Zip-ties, Heat shrink, Crimps or Connectors, Soldering Jobs, Cables or Cords, Computer stuff, or any help with anything for that matter! I mostly do Commercial stuff but have been doing it for 10 years, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the field. The wait is on, and I will for sure see you guys at the next meet when I have my car back. Thanks again!
Old 2008-02-15, 06:06 PM   #40
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I went down there and talked to Jeremy and he told me the great news. All new parts and everything covered! Honestly I wasn't expecting it but they came through for me. Definitely +1 for Lithia! I have never prayed in my life, but I did last night and sure as shit everything worked out. I am so happy right now! The only negative is that they will have my daily driver until next Friday, but at this point, I am SO OK with that! I just want to express my thanks to ALL of you guys as a whole, I couldn't ask for a better group of guys to be associated with. I would never expect a group of awesome guys like yourselves to come through for a guy you barely know. It is so greatly appreciated! I am an Electronics Tech (Audio/Video/Server/Computer/Equipment Rack Tech), so if you guys ever need anything in that world do not hesitate to let me know! Zip-ties, Heat shrink, Crimps or Connectors, Soldering Jobs, Cables or Cords, Computer stuff, or any help with anything for that matter! I mostly do Commercial stuff but have been doing it for 10 years, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the field. The wait is on, and I will for sure see you guys at the next meet when I have my car back. Thanks again!
Great news! Borrowing rides or hitting the bus for a week is a small price to pay for getting all that work taken care of on the cheap. It's refreshing to hear a dealer say "well, even though we could have screwed you over on this, because it really was a warranty issue we're covering it anyway".

Speaking of computer cabling... I'm probably going to need to pick up a 1000' spool of CAT5 and some connectors and face plates to wire my new house in March or April. Can you place orders for that sorta stuff? Since I got outta the IT game in 1996 I don't have a clue what that stuff costs or where to get it at a good price.
Old 2008-02-15, 07:13 PM   #41
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Great news! Borrowing rides or hitting the bus for a week is a small price to pay for getting all that work taken care of on the cheap. It's refreshing to hear a dealer say "well, even though we could have screwed you over on this, because it really was a warranty issue we're covering it anyway".

Speaking of computer cabling... I'm probably going to need to pick up a 1000' spool of CAT5 and some connectors and face plates to wire my new house in March or April. Can you place orders for that sorta stuff? Since I got outta the IT game in 1996 I don't have a clue what that stuff costs or where to get it at a good price.
I'm glad they came through more than I can explain. As for the Cat5e cable, what is approx. your longest cable run? We have 1000' boxes of the stuff with a couple hundred feet of cable still in them (roughly 100-400 feet still in the box) just sitting around because in the commercial world most of our runs our 200+ feet that more than likely I can have. Being in a residence I know your runs will be significantly shorter so a few of those boxes will probably do ya. If you're talking about the regular RJ45 connectors that are used to make like a Cat5e patch cable, I have hundreds of those and my own set of crimpers, but if you're talking about the connectors that just snap into the face plates, honestly your best bet for the money is Home Depot surprisingly. The plates will run you roughly $4-$7 depending on what you want in there besides Cat5e, most people put a cable outlet in those also more times than not. The snap in connectors for those will run you a few bucks too. I can help run cable if you need also. I have fish rods from work and all the tools needed of my own to what you speak of I'm sure. Do you have an attic above or a crawl space underneath? So as for the wire, labor, and certain connectors, I can help you out for little to nothing out of your pocket. The plates and connectors snag from Home Depot, but if you are a huge penny pincher you can mostly find the best prices online not locally. I can help you shop for them if you don't know what you are looking for. Just give me a PM and let me know what I can do!

Last edited by Kavid; 2008-02-15 at 07:48 PM.
Kavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 07:28 PM   #42
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Fucking Rad!!!
Old 2008-02-15, 11:24 PM   #43
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I'm glad they came through more than I can explain. As for the Cat5e cable, what is approx. your longest cable run? We have 1000' boxes of the stuff with a couple hundred feet of cable still in them (roughly 100-400 feet still in the box) just sitting around because in the commercial world most of our runs our 200+ feet that more than likely I can have. Being in a residence I know your runs will be significantly shorter so a few of those boxes will probably do ya. If you're talking about the regular RJ45 connectors that are used to make like a Cat5e patch cable, I have hundreds of those and my own set of crimpers, but if you're talking about the connectors that just snap into the face plates, honestly your best bet for the money is Home Depot surprisingly. The plates will run you roughly $4-$7 depending on what you want in there besides Cat5e, most people put a cable outlet in those also more times than not. The snap in connectors for those will run you a few bucks too. I can help run cable if you need also. I have fish rods from work and all the tools needed of my own to what you speak of I'm sure. Do you have an attic above or a crawl space underneath? So as for the wire, labor, and certain connectors, I can help you out for little to nothing out of your pocket. The plates and connectors snag from Home Depot, but if you are a huge penny pincher you can mostly find the best prices online not locally. I can help you shop for them if you don't know what you are looking for. Just give me a PM and let me know what I can do!
Awesome info. I'll likely not need any significantly long runs, but since I've yet to move into the place, I don't know yet what I'll need. Off hand, my guess is a few 100' runs from the bedrooms and living room to the office where the router will be via the attic. I was planning on just running parallel to the CATV to share a box with the RG6. But again, I have no idea what's in the house already... it could already be wired, it could also need full blown rewiring of network *and TV... I'll find out next month.

So, huge thanks for the offer for help, I'll let you know what I need when I know better!
Old 2008-02-19, 05:21 PM   #44
chrscott_01
EJ18

Car: 2007 Sub WRX TR
Class: None....yet.

So I walk into a bar....

Friday is coming Senior Kavid... Keeping my fingers crossed for ya ham slice. You need to see Dogma again though, you have not been following proper procedure when it comes to rides
chrscott_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 03:07 PM   #45
Kavid
EJ22

I Want My WRX Back!

Got my car back! It runs and idles perfectly, and after a week and a half, it feels really good to drive. Thank you Lithia Subaru! I asked what I could do for them and Marvin said Lunch. So I will be bringing lunch to the Service Dept. on Monday for sure. Not a bad price to pay. Thank you guys again for your help. See you Thursday.
Old 2008-02-23, 04:02 PM   #46
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Nice! Congrats!