Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2009-04-15, 10:04 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Thumbs up Lithia Subaru Parts Dept.

Okay, since all the other Lithia Subaru departments all have their own threads, I'm making one for the Parts folks.

IMO, the Parts Dept. at Lithia Subaru is the only dept that really kicks ass there. Don and Gaynel are on the ball, friendly, and helpful. I believe Don is an ex-SCCA racer, but don't quote me on that as that's something I heard through the grapevine.

Either way, since I've been in there *a lot* over the years with all the parts that break on the racecar, they are nice enough to do what they can w/ matching online prices and giving me jobber discounts. I doubt they can do that for everyone in the club, but if you're there often enough, I would bet they would help out others similarly as well.

That said, the regular dealership prices are *high*. There's a pretty severe markup on parts through Lithia. You can likely get most items much cheaper online and tax free. However, you'll have to pay shipping, and that's where most the online places make up for their low prices. For example, order a few o-rings for the A/C system from subaruparts.com, and expect to pay $5 in shipping for something that literally could be mailed in an envelope for 42 cents. With Lithia, if they don't have it in stock, you don't have to pay shipping to get it, unless you want to rush-order it.

I tend to shop online to get the part numbers for the stuff I need, then call Lithia and find out how well they can match the price. Usually they can't quote as low as the online price, but when you factor in the cost of shipping, the "good" dealership prices are right around the same, plus you can just pick the stuff up locally.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:14 AM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

+1. I agree with Scott completely. Good people and decent deals.

They often have to order some fairly standard parts (cross over pipe gaskets, etc.) which takes a couple days, but you only pay extra if you want them overnight.
Old 2009-05-11, 12:34 PM   #3
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time
Thumbs up

Joe and Gaynelle are awesome. I buy parts from them often and they can "occasionally" help out on pricing. I don't mind having to pay a few dollars more and know that I can return it if it doesn't fit. Some online parts shops will only allow returns with a VIN. With the project I have been working on, there have been some parts I wasn't quite sure on and they did their best to help me out.
I've had the same problem with some common parts not being in stock. Overall they do a great job and I always get the right parts.
Old 2013-10-14, 12:05 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

It's been ages since I've gone into the Lithia Parts dept. Now that Don and Gaynelle are both gone, that place seems to suck.

Case in point, the rear wiper blade on my Outback is kaput. Since it's a dealer-only blade on the rear (apparently), I figured I'd run by the parts dept. on my lunch break. Not only did it take me 30 minutes to get in and out of there, I left empty handed because "we've got 3 listed, but apparently my inventory is wrong". That shit *never* happened with the previous crew. Not to mention, they needed my VIN number to know what blade goes on my car. Seriously? I bet the rear blade on every Subaru for the last 10 years is the same part. But I'm not the professional that is supposed to know that... you guys are.

So anyway, nothing personal against the people working over there... but something as simple as picking up a rear wiper blade, a part that is sold frequently should be on-hand in droves especially in the fall, should be a 20 second in-and-out type deal.

Looks like I'm ordering online for even the simple stuff... especially since all the people that knew me over there are gone now and I'm not likely to get the discount they used to give me.
Old 2013-10-14, 05:15 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Without a doubt, since Gaynelle left that place has gone down the tubes. I am on the verge of switching to Michael Hohl for time-sensitive stuff and one of the online dealers for stocking items if things don't get better. We have been having huge issues getting correct parts, ordered on time (sometimes at all) and delivery takes 2-3 days because they are about 60% staffed these days and there is nobody there who can run the place from the top down. I highly recommend going somewhere else for those who have alternatives for the foreseeable future.
Old 2013-10-14, 05:17 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

And yes, one particular employee there can't find his own ass without giving him a VIN. He practically refuses to even begin looking up parts without it if you haven't already got the part number.
Old 2013-10-14, 07:51 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

That must have been the guy I talked to. He didn't even look at the parts computer before asking for a VIN. It took me longer to dig my insurance card out of my wallet than it would have taken him to type "2009 wiper" into the computer.

I get wanting a VIN if I'm ordering a shortblock. But a wiper blade... c'mon.
Old 2013-10-14, 08:52 PM   #8
Kevin M
EJ22T

Heck, a shortblock is easy. In any given year there are no more than three.
Old 2013-10-15, 04:26 PM   #9
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I deal with them on a weekly basis when ordering parts for the used cars at work. We have waited hours just to get a quote faxed to us. They rarely even answer the phone, we get their voicemail all the time and they never check the messages or call us back. They are all new except for Joe, who is the only one trying to help all the techs and keep an eye on all the new people.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 03:12 PM   #10
kwikside
n00b

Car: 03 WRX World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19 View Post
I deal with them on a weekly basis when ordering parts for the used cars at work. We have waited hours just to get a quote faxed to us. They rarely even answer the phone, we get their voicemail all the time and they never check the messages or call us back. They are all new except for Joe, who is the only one trying to help all the techs and keep an eye on all the new people.
Everything ran a lot better when Joe & Gaynelle was at the counter & answering the phones. The new people are getting a little better, but it has been a slow process.
kwikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 09:33 PM   #11
sedonabugeye
EJ251

Car: Leggy wagon/Bugeye/megacab

I deal with lithia on a daily basis working for a subaru specialty shop and the service there has dropped terribly! If you still need a wiper blade or most any part, we stock tons of factory subaru parts at my shop (independent auto) or can at least help better than lithia.