Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-03-10, 04:20 PM   #51
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Damn, that does sound inadequate. Smaller calipers and discs than stock WRX I take it?
Nope, bigger (just barely) rotors than the WRX, calipers are about the same. The problem is the extra 800 lbs. My Thunderbird had the exact same problem... right down to the perpetual reports of "warped brakes".
Old 2006-03-10, 04:28 PM   #52
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

An additional 800 lbs is nothing to scoff at, but I'm still surprised that upgraded pads and fluid wouldn't make this beast safe for the streets at least. But obviously you'd know better than I since you own one.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 04:54 PM   #53
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
An additional 800 lbs is nothing to scoff at, but I'm still surprised that upgraded pads and fluid wouldn't make this beast safe for the streets at least. But obviously you'd know better than I since you own one.
I think some of it has to do with poor brake balance. At 1st I had Axxis Ultimates up front and OEM pads in the rear. When I replaced both front and rear pads w/ Axxis Deluxe pads my braking actually worked better even though the Deluxes aren't quite as good as the Ultimates, simply because I was giving more work to the rear brakes.

That said, I'm not really sure why the SVX is so underbraked... on paper it should do fine... it's got 11"+ ventilated front rotors and 2-pot sliding calipers... that's enough brake that it requires 16" wheels! And the car is about 4000 lbs wet w/ driver... that's not exceedingly heavy (though I wouldn't call it "light" by a long shot). I think the car may just need some thicker rotors to act as a better heat sink or something. I'm not sure... braking systems are actually extremely complicated.
Old 2006-03-10, 05:03 PM   #54
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

That makes sense, if the brake bias is like 90% front or somthing.
Old 2006-03-10, 08:00 PM   #55
Duckie
EJ22

Im running brembo/bradi rotors, good pads, fluid, and SS lines. They will serve me ok for now until I upgrade to 6 pots in the front.

Oh, and JC I missed your post about me being a girl earlier hehe; I'm not a girl, just a guy who doesn't descriminate to gender
Old 2006-03-11, 05:01 PM   #56
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
Oh, and JC I missed your post about me being a girl earlier hehe; I'm not a girl, just a guy who doesn't descriminate to gender
That makes more sense. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say you should upgrade the brakes more sooner rather than later. Although adding lightness will help braking.
Old 2006-03-11, 09:21 PM   #57
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
I changed it to 375 due to sp00ln's comment about the extra 80 horse . I don't have this idea of this insane SVX in my head that is going to mash on STis for breakfast. I think that through persistance and money I will achieve my goal and I don't think its going to happen over night. I know this is going to be a long and arduous journy but I have already started taking the first steps in my long long journey.

And what kind of dyno will you be using? The mustang?
Old 2006-03-11, 09:37 PM   #58
Duckie
EJ22

Yeah, the mustang dyno ^^.
Old 2006-03-12, 03:32 PM   #59
sp00ln
EJ205

Thats a tough dyno...
Old 2006-03-12, 06:11 PM   #60
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Another 6 cylinder swap ... link
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 01:34 AM   #61
Duckie
EJ22

Ok, a little update on whats going on. You may have noticed my heap isnt done! A set back in the form of hood clearence reared its ugly head because of an upgrade to a 6 rib pulley from a 4. Easily fixable but the guy doing work on it...well...he does great work but needless to say he is slow. May will mark 1 year and 5 months that he has had my money ;(. Other news, the tranny switch wont be happening this summer, maybe this winter. Reason being is my boyfriend needs an operation so he comes first. But the tranny will still be comming and I am still feeling out options as far as that goes. Brake wise, there have been some developements in the brake sector (not by me or by the guy im paying) and there may be 6 pots in the front and 4 pots in the rear available soon. Always a good thing, I miss the porsche where I had the "big red brakes" and I could scare the piss out of people in the car by braking fast. Nothing new in the interior department, still running ghetto and see no reason to do otherwise.

Someone with the same setup (but with a jdm 6spd tranny) will be running the strip soon. I predict he will run between a 12.3-12.5 but we will see. On an unrelated note best buy forgot to send me a bill for 2 months, and i didnt pay it, and SOMEHOW I came out with no late payments, the same balance, and no intrest still. This is the crowning achievment of my life.
Old 2006-04-07, 07:22 AM   #62
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Sweet!
Old 2006-04-07, 08:54 AM   #63
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
Someone with the same setup (but with a jdm 6spd tranny) will be running the strip soon. I predict he will run between a 12.3-12.5 but we will see.
Keep us updated on that.
Old 2006-04-07, 11:08 AM   #64
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Is it too late to take you up on the bet ? and what are the terms now exactly ? $20 that you don't hit 280 Whp on the mustang dyno ? I'de take that

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 01:16 PM   #65
sp00ln
EJ205

^
Old 2006-04-07, 03:31 PM   #66
Duckie
EJ22

The bet is that I don't hit 375 crank HP. And if you would like to take the bet, then sweet =D. The reason the bet is for crank HP is because I KNOW how bad the freaking AT tranny is and how much power it will sap before it ever hits the floor. But if anyone seriously wants to take the bet (because I am serious about it) then feel free to but know I will hold you to it .

More updates on the car: There are 6 pot fronts 355 mm, and 4 pot rears available for the car. I am not sure if I have to run either 18's or 17's on the car. I already have a good set of 17's (not the best...kinda blingy but oh well) but for the brake upgrade I really wouldnt mind shelling out the extra money to be able to accomadate for the brakes.

Next devlopement, I FINALLY got the guy who is making my Stage III SC kit to spill some beans about his development on stage IV work that he has been doing to his prototype. I can't reveal everything as I have sworn not to leak any information that he wants me to keep secret and the only reason I am "in the know" is because I shelled out my money almost immediatly when he said he was going to start stage III (the second person to do so in fact) and that I was willing to help fund future development with a fairly sizeable cash flow from me. Anyway this is what I can tell you:1. I will never need a stand alone EM, had I decided to go the turbo then I would absolutely need a stand alone...in retro spec I am super glad I decided to invest in the SC route. The ECU (modified of course) is capable of controling around 1000 HP and you can have a completly custom tune put on your car. However this is by far from a perfect system for a few reasons. There is no way to put more than one tune on the car which means when the time comes I will have to make some decisions about running 91 octane all the time....or to run higher. Stage IV will be using a dual intake system, and a bigger pulley. I personally may upgrade to a bigger SC as well but that would require a custom hood and would be a major pain in the ass. The engine obviously has to be built to run anymore HP then what the stage III will have to offer. I also need to address the tranny because it cant handle stage III power (IMO) and definantly can't handle any more than that. I am leaning to a custom gearbox just because of what the cruising RPMs will be. So all in all everything is looking up more and more and you will be seeing one helluva a beast.
Old 2006-04-07, 03:44 PM   #67
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

355mm rotors = 18" wheels, with maybe a few possible exceptions that you would have to search far and wide for. And it sounds suspiciously like a Stoptech ST60/355 kit...
Old 2006-04-07, 04:00 PM   #68
Duckie
EJ22

Yeah, looks like 18's will be in order... *sigh* time to start saving up for some very lightweight rims. This looks like my current to do list:

1. Put on stage III
2. New tranny
3. Some parts of new exaust
4. Wheels (only so I can reach #5 otherwise I wouldn't touch them)
5. New brakes

Once all of this is established it will be time to build the engine, then put more power through it.
Old 2006-04-07, 04:21 PM   #69
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

I still want to know how you're going to establish what the flywheel/crank HP number is on a car that doesn't have a flywheel, and is on an older, slipping auto.

My car threw down a whopping 103hp/110tq on a Mustang in a previous iteration, ther'es no way to translate that to crank HP except comparing to an identical car with no mods in factory optimal condition and referencing the original claimed hp/tq formt he factory, which may or may not be valid

Devil's advocate here, but I know more than most about heartbreaker dynos and how the numbers extrapolate to real life....
Old 2006-04-07, 04:24 PM   #70
ryan4601
EJ22

Car: 2004 wrx

hahaha i just started reading this thread. the svx puts out only 133 whp stock (like scotts). I dont see it putting down anywhere near 500 crank horse power.. or 400 for that matter. thats like 500 crank is like 350 whp.. @ 6 psi. no way. I'd bet on something lower than 250 whp. I'm talking MD. then again i could be wrong..

here's my gipe.. yes it's cool, a boosted svx.. i admit it and if it were me and my car was the svx.. i'd do it because it's fun

but you put in xxxxx amount of dollars for low 200 whp? the new 06 wrx's will give you a run for your money with turbo back exhuast. I know some people here can see what i'm trying to say..

yeah it's like trying to compare apples and oranges.. but once it's modded, let the comparision be ON.. for example, SPOOLN's "old" Talon Tsi or an old "rex" (honda crx). yeah you think it'd be unfair to compare it to a turbo back STi, but if i were a bett'n man, i'd put my money on spooln's talon or that old boosted crx any day.

anyway, props to you man, that was alot of work and heart ache i'm sure. plus +1 for the unique build. i'd definetly be safe with the boost at least for a little while. What type of EMS are you going to use? it might have already been said, but i didn't read all the other posts.

crap i posted on ryan's sn.. this is evo mike, wtf is ryan doing on my computer?
ryan4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 05:09 PM   #71
Duckie
EJ22

Ok, well here is the thing. My auto tranny is in absolutely perfect un slipping condition and the car has been taken care of with an insane amount of pride and know-how (not by me but by my uncle who I bought it from). Here is what I think the only logical thing is to do...I am going to go get this dynoed before I put anything on it. It is currently a bone stock car with absolutely no mods. Then we can have our bet based on the numbers I get. I would also make the bet that my car puts out more hp then scott's did stock, if you knew my uncle you would understand.

As far as hitting 500 with the setup thats going in...hell no I wont hit that. My High estimate of crank power is 450, my low estimate is 400. I wont be heartbrocken if it turns out I only hit 350 crank hp...life happens you know? I talk big about the car because I have faith in it and like all things car related until I put data where my words are it will be nothing more than talk.

As far as my cost to return ratio I know its crap. I expect that, I know that, I see that, and despite that I dont care. I love the SVX and want to mod it and only it. I could have built a 10 second drag car for the money invested but I dont care. Ive spent 6,340 on the supercharger setup (instal not included) 5,000 on the car itself, 1,000 for my rims and tires, 400+ brakes and stuff, and then I have some cosmetic parts lying around that arent going on yet that I have spent about 1000 total on. I recognize this is just the beggining and I am willing to spend the money so no more arguments about cost hehe.

I am not running a stand alone EMS I am running a modified version of the stock ECU which has been responding great.
Old 2006-04-07, 08:05 PM   #72
doubleurx
EJ205

I have looked into and decided not to get a supercharger for my 911. The one I looked at would add 100 hp (crank) at 7psi. I highly doubt you can reach your goals comparing the two cars. While it will be fun, you should be realistic, kind of like removing your ABS because you drive in the snow. Tell you what, let's go to a parking lot with the exact same tires and weight in the car in 4" of snow and brake as hard as we can at the exact same time: me with ABS and you majically pumping your foot as fast as you can.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 11:02 PM   #73
Duckie
EJ22

If you dont think I will make an additional 100 crank hp on my car with the setup thats going to be going in it...well I hope you would be joking. Unlike your 911 there is a lot more going on my car modification wise to bring up the hp then just simply a bolt on supercharger(like the one you are most likely talking about). But if that is truly whatchya think feel free to be the first person to sign up for my bet, put your money where your mouth is. Either stop telling im unrealistic and believe my claims or pony up and put 20 bucks down =P That is my challenge to every one of you ^_^.

As far as your braking scenerio goes...if I ever put myself in a situation where I have to brake as hard as I can IN SNOW then I deserve to crash. I prefer cars without ABS, I have driven plenty of both and that is MY preference and if you don't like it, frankly you can go preach elsewhere because I am not going to magically change my mind.
Old 2006-04-08, 07:46 AM   #74
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

Well good sir, I have only one question. How are you going to verify you crank horsepower power? Puting a car on the dyno will provide you an acurate wheel horsepower.
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 07:51 AM   #75
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Take the engine out of the car, and just put it on an engine dyno.