Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2004-08-30, 05:13 PM   #251
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
Who's car is that in the dirt?
Someone who was there taking the class whom is not affiliated with us. His RX-8 suffered only cosmetic damage to the front bumper.
Old 2004-08-30, 05:20 PM   #252
sp00ln
EJ205

[img:ccf41ec508=600]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Race%20Events/2004-08-29%20SECCS%20Reno-Fernley%20Track%20Day/DSCF0012.JPG[/img:ccf41ec508]

That thing doesn't have forced induction, does it?
Old 2004-08-30, 05:21 PM   #253
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
That thing doesn't have forced induction, does it?
Supercharged.
Old 2004-08-30, 05:22 PM   #254
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Yup, supercharged. Claimed 607 to the wheels and I for one believe it. You ever see the video of the 20b turbo AE86? Watching that Viper hit the straight was exactly like that.
Old 2004-08-30, 05:26 PM   #255
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Quote:
Who's car is that in the dirt?
Someone who was there taking the class whom is not affiliated with us. His RX-8 suffered only cosmetic damage to the front bumper.
That's so sad. I wouldn't want that to happen to that to anyone.
Old 2004-08-30, 05:27 PM   #256
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Yup, supercharged. Claimed 607 to the wheels and I for one believe it. You ever see the video of the 20b turbo AE86? Watching that Viper hit the straight was exactly like that.
No, but you guys had a camera out there didn't you? Someone must have gotten it, right?

That thing looks bad
Old 2004-08-30, 05:39 PM   #257
Kevin M
EJ22T

http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=642&p=8

Watching the viper pull away out of turn 15 onto the front straight was just like that. Only daylight. And not a Toyota. And nobody screaming like a little girl.
Old 2004-08-30, 05:58 PM   #258
sp00ln
EJ205

HAhaha... I've seen that video. I love that video. Lol. Damn... I want to see this viper!
Old 2004-08-30, 06:20 PM   #259
skimonkey30
Mr. Romano

Car: 2013 F150
Class: Mellow Yellow

Rubbin's Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Thanks to everyone who came out!! The event was eleventy-billion times better than I could have expected! We had a much larger turnout that we thought we would, MattR probably knows the actually numbers better than I, but I'd guess there were 37 or 38 participants. And to think that a week before the event we only had 23 people paid.

The "B" group was a blast to run with. Everyone was very well mannered out on the track... I think the only off was one of the instructors who was out screwing around during the last session. Oh, and skimonkey... who's instructor told him to cut the esses so close he dropped 2 tires off and spread some dirt onto the track.... and then got black flagged for it.

And although I didn't run with them, the "A" group looked to have done an excellent job as well! By the end of the day, I'd bet the A cars were running at the same speeds as the B cars. I'm really stoked that so many of you are now hooked on the track day crack pipe.

The only big "oops" of the day came when the driver of the RX-8 (one of the schools students, not one of the people that signed up through our club) put the car into the dirt off turn 15. I guess he went into the corner a little hot, then lifted in the middle of the corner. He ended up sliding into the runoff... and eventually ran out of room and put the bumper into the dirt berm out there. The damage was all cosmetic, though, and he was back out on the track in the later sessions... minus the lower airdam.

I'm uploading all my (well, Nick's actually) pictures now... they should be available in a bit!

Thanks again to everyone that came out! Remember the next track day is just around the corner!
Got to love those black flags! Our cars are meant to run on gravel anyways so I figured I'd practice my gravel and tarmac running at the same time. I had to do a double take when he said go "completly striaght" through the esses. I think it actually messed up my setup for 5 and 6 because I carried to much speed.

Thanks again to Scott & Matt for putting this one together! I got home around 11:45 last night there were so many CHP on the way home I figured one lucky "exhaust ticket" break was enough for me so I took it kinda slow.
Old 2004-08-30, 06:38 PM   #260
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Some of the pics I snapped; I have larger versions if anyone wants them....
http://neurosybir.net/sybir/rfr/

Fearless Leader

What group SECCS looks like at a gas station.....

It looks like an action shot....

And, after the first shuffle of the FBAM

I wanted to take more pics, but Nick seemed to have it covered; nice job, mang!
Old 2004-08-30, 06:46 PM   #261
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Yah I posted teh good pictures Nick got for me.. thanks.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 07:37 PM   #262
Egan
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimonkey30

Got to love those black flags! Our cars are meant to run on gravel anyways so I figured I'd practice my gravel and tarmac running at the same time. I had to do a double take when he said go "completly striaght" through the esses. I think it actually messed up my setup for 5 and 6 because I carried to much speed.

Thanks again to Scott & Matt for putting this one together! I got home around 11:45 last night there were so many CHP on the way home I figured one lucky "exhaust ticket" break was enough for me so I took it kinda slow.
We thought you were going to follow us out and caravan down the hill??? We hit Roseville about 7:30 and never saw any CHP. They must have come out after we got through.
Old 2004-08-31, 07:20 AM   #263
skimonkey30
Mr. Romano

Rubbin's Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan
Quote:

We thought you were going to follow us out and caravan down the hill??? We hit Roseville about 7:30 and never saw any CHP. They must have come out after we got through.
The group decided to go to dinner and I was hungry plus I thought about sunday afternoon tahoe traffic.
Old 2004-08-31, 08:58 AM   #264
doubleurx
EJ205

Great work on the gallery shots. Thanks for taking so many. Looks like you got shots of everyone.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 09:13 AM   #265
Egan
EJ18

Quote:
The group decided to go to dinner and I was hungry plus I thought about sunday afternoon tahoe traffic.
Cool - I just didn't want you to think we left you.

Traffic was just fine. We made it home very, very quickly.
Old 2004-08-31, 03:34 PM   #266
skimonkey30
Mr. Romano

Rubbin's Racin

Quote:
Quote:
Cool - I just didn't want you to think we left you.

Traffic was just fine. We made it home very, very quickly.
Yah I'm sure you got home fast! From what I've heard with you leading the caravan you tend to get home rather quickly!
Old 2004-08-31, 08:15 PM   #267
Egan
EJ18

Quote:

Yah I'm sure you got home fast! From what I've heard with you leading the caravan you tend to get home rather quickly!
Lance was leading, thank you very much.
Old 2004-08-31, 10:49 PM   #268
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Quote:

Lance was leading, thank you very much.
Any Toyota 4Runner sightings this time?
Old 2004-09-01, 05:18 AM   #269
Egan
EJ18

Quote:

WTF??? :?
Old 2004-09-01, 09:20 AM   #270
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Quote:

WTF??? :?
RE: Wentworth Springs.
Old 2004-09-01, 09:50 AM   #271
Egan
EJ18

Quote:

RE: Wentworth Springs.
Damn, I forgot all about that. Cache must have been full and my OS dumped that portion of memory. It sucks getting old.

Old 2004-09-07, 09:16 AM   #272
Speedtoy
n00b

Car: 05 baja Turbo 5spd
Class: Yellow Bus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Quote:
The only big "oops" of the day came when the driver of the RX-8 (one of the schools students, not one of the people that signed up through our club) put the car into the dirt off turn 15.
That guy went off RIGHT in front on me at the steeply banked turn with the corner worker on the new section in one of the later sessions as well. He lost the back end going into the turn, so that he was pointed at the worker station, then over corrected and went right over the outside edge of the road.

As I was heading into turn 15 I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw him driving back onto the track halfway between where he went off and turn 15, so I guess his car was ok.
I heard that was actually the instructor in the RX-7... he was out screwing around, and decided to drive turn 14 on the right hand side of the burm. Was it actually the RX-8?

That was will in the PS7 car, not the RX8.

The 1st gen 7's are a "handful" to drive.

I race the NASA Pro7 class, and lead points in it. Will's just pissed I was able to pass him on the -inside- of the toilet bowl 3x our last race event there.

Always lookin for a new line.
Old 2004-09-07, 09:19 AM   #273
Speedtoy
n00b

Quote:
That viper was about |----| that much quicker than me down the straight..but I know vipers, and I was hoping for some good spirited lead-follow after the straight, but he just went flat at turn 1, thru to turn 15.
Old 2004-09-07, 09:29 AM   #274
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtoy
Quote:
That viper was about |----| that much quicker than me down the straight..but I know vipers, and I was hoping for some good spirited lead-follow after the straight, but he just went flat at turn 1, thru to turn 15.
That's Jim, my old boss from work. This was his 1st time on a road-course since he installed the super-charger and he was real nervous about spinning due to the extra power. That car's actually setup for drag racing, so I can understand his caution.

All that said, that car could have gone *much* faster through the turns... and Jim knew it. I think he'll be more comfortable out there next time, and take it up a notch.
Old 2004-09-07, 09:32 AM   #275
Speedtoy
n00b

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtoy
Quote:
That's Jim, my old boss from work. This was his 1st time on a road-course since he installed the super-charger and he was real nervous about spinning due to the extra power. That car's actually setup for drag racing, so I can understand his caution.

All that said, that car could have gone *much* faster through the turns... and Jim knew it. I think he'll be more comfortable out there next time, and take it up a notch.
Cool, Id have been happy to help him, but I already had a handful with some GrpA students.

FWIW, he had a good line.