Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-05-05, 10:00 AM   #1
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!
Default Stiff pedal

Ok I've researching a way to get a good bleed subaru says to bleed in this order rf,lr,lf,rr but doesnt mention ABS and Stoptech says this!?
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bleeding_abs.shtml
Scott, Dean whats the deal what do you guys think?
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 10:14 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I believe Subaru's have a Bosch ABS system. Finding a nice easy way to trigger the ABS to cycle would be a nice thing.

Some people were going to look into it as part of the open-source ECU software they were working on, but I'm not sure the ECU actually talks to the ABS controller at all. I'll bet we need some other tool... either the dealer diagnostic computer, or a cheaper version that only cycles the ABS.
Old 2006-05-05, 10:32 AM   #3
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

I'm pretty sure that you need the dealer specific diag. tool to work the ABS. I've got my own personal OBD scanner, and it won't even pull ABS codes, let alone let you cycle the motor. I know there's more expensive scanners in the aftermarket out there that will let you pull ABS codes and diag, but I've never seen one that will let you actually cycle the motor...

It seems like it'll take someone specifically making a scanner that will let you do this, or finding some other way to cycle the motor. I do know that if you jump the ABS relay in the right direction, you can get the motor to run. I could look more into it if you guys like. (?)

I think the "go jam on the brakes really f*ing hard" looks like the most fun way to do it though!
Old 2006-05-05, 10:33 AM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

ABS controller is a seperte controller on the Audi, but you connect to it just like the ECU, and issue commands, etc.

IMHO opinion, if you do a base flush, and then change fluid before each event, the fluid in the ABS controller should be pretty good because it cycles good stuff into the controller when you ABS at the last event. It is unlikely that "bad fluid" makes it all the way from the brakes to the controller and gets in during an event.
Old 2006-05-05, 12:47 PM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Dean, does that apply for AutoX too? Best to flush before the event and not after?
Old 2006-05-05, 01:27 PM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

For auto cross, you are unlikely to get your brakes hot enought to really worry about it with good fluid. Maybe a couple times per season would do.

Before and after is best, before is better if you only do one.
Old 2006-05-07, 10:24 PM   #7
Speedtoy
n00b

Car: 05 baja Turbo 5spd
Class: Yellow Bus

Depending what fluid you use..always flush AFTER race events. Before doesnt solve anything, except make more fluid sales for someone...

RBF600 from Motul, good stuff. But it -has- to be consistently flushed..race or not. Its extremely hygroscopic, and needs to be on a steady path from the master cylinder to the bleed nipple. Especially once abused.

You'd be suprised how fast black, burnt fluid can circulate to the master cylinder from your calipers.

The Motul5.1 can sit in your system for long term use..American style. Fill and ferget.

RBF600 isnt required for autox..you wont get that hot.
Old 2006-05-07, 11:39 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtoy
Depending what fluid you use..always flush AFTER race events. Before doesnt solve anything, except make more fluid sales for someone...

RBF600 from Motul, good stuff. But it -has- to be consistently flushed..race or not. Its extremely hygroscopic, and needs to be on a steady path from the master cylinder to the bleed nipple. Especially once abused.

You'd be suprised how fast black, burnt fluid can circulate to the master cylinder from your calipers.

The Motul5.1 can sit in your system for long term use..American style. Fill and ferget.

RBF600 isnt required for autox..you wont get that hot.
So your suggesting that people flush after an event, then drive around on the street for a month drawing water into the system and then race on a soft pedal w/ wet fluid?

I'm going to keep flushing before my events, so I have a nice firm pedal and fresh fluid when I'm out on track hauling the car down from 120. I don't really mind the soft pedal on the street w/ burnt fluid after the event, since I'm not pushing the car taking it to and from the meets.
Old 2006-05-07, 11:45 PM   #9
Speedtoy
n00b

I dont..and my source doesnt..consider a month long-term use. If you intend to use RBF600 for 1 or 2 events a year, then you should flush before an event, but most people Ive run into dont use $15/bottle fluid for 1 or 2 events a year when they wont be seeing that much energy in the system.

But..youre welcome to flush a few oz before an event, just that a # of weeks isnt an issue....no worries.

The thing bout the old fluid burnt after an event, is the larger volume of fluid (a bottle) required to clear it all out once it migrates up to your MC. Even with an ABS pump in there, you can get the gummy stuff up that far in just a few weeks to a month..at least on my Z06 I can start seeing brown fluid up there that fast. If the fluid degrades that far up in the system, you have no choice but to perform full flushes as a matter of routine maintenance if you dont pull a few oz's after race days.

Someday on the RX7 I'll actually install the recirc system so I wont boil fluid in that car anymore.
Old 2006-05-08, 06:23 AM   #10
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtoy
I completely disagree with this.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 06:27 AM   #11
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Maybe he mean weeks after the event but right before the next event.

You might actually agree with him depending on what he means.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 06:51 AM   #12
Speedtoy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK

And thats fine. Its your choice to contaminate your entire braking system with burnt, compromised, brake fluid.

The fluid in the system does freely circulate.

Of course this all assumes that youre developing enough heat to compromise it that much.
Old 2006-05-08, 07:05 AM   #13
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Let me rephrase. I don't disagree that you should flush after an event, I just think that it's important to flush before. At least it has been my experience that the only way my brakes will survive a whole track weekend is to have fresh brake fluid immediately before the event.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 07:08 AM   #14
Speedtoy
n00b

And I wont call you wrong for doing it...

If you ever happen to come to a Norcal NASA event, lets test your theory. We have a brake fluid vaporizer in tech that will test the current boiling point of fluid. We'll see what its good for..it would be cool to find out.

In my rx7, ive found the fluid to drop 50d in boiling temp in a single weekend, tested at the end. Ive never tested before a race...after a month sitting. But I dont drive it either for that month.
Old 2006-05-08, 07:36 AM   #15
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I think it mostly depends on whether the car is a daily driver or not. If it is, I think before an event would be better, or before and after if feasible.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote