Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2011-01-04, 02:26 PM   #1
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!
Default Steering Wheel Swap DIY/How-To Info?

Just picked up an '05 Momo steering wheel and airbag to replace the starting-to-wear stocker in my '07, and to replace the dented airbag emblem. But, the newest car I've replaced a wheel on was a '68 VW. No idea on working with airbags.

I found a couple how-tos on Nasioc that indicate disconnect battery, wait five minutes, pump brakes a few times, steering wheel and wheels straight forward, get to work. Other than that, all the DIYs/How-Tos said things like "remove the bolt at the red arrow in the pic" referring to a pic that no longer exists.

Anyone have tips/instructions on the swap?

I know from my research that the parts were interchangeable for '04-'07 WRX and STi, so I'm not worried about it fitting. The wheel on it's way includes the wheel, airbag, but no "clock spring" (which is as far as I know a spring to self-wind a clock?). So, the plan is to pull my airbag, pull my clock spring, pull my wheel, and reverse the process. But, from there I'm lost.

Any tips/pics/info?

TIA guys.... hoping this wheel fits like the '07 but without the smooth leather at the top to wear again.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 02:33 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

STi Steering Wheel removal

More docs here: http://www.seccs.org/tech

It's really not hard. Just make sure the battery is disconnected and you stand on the pedal a while to discharge any power in the circuits.

When pulling the wheel off (if you don't have a steering wheel puller), leave the steering wheel nut on loosely while yanking on the wheel so you don't punch yourself in the face when the wheel comes loose. I've had wheels come off easy, and I've had wheels require gorilla like yanking to come loose.

The clock spring is what resets the turn signals when completing a turn, as well as being the wiring pass-thru for the horn and cruise controls. The instructions for lining everything up is written right on the spring unit, just follow them exactly. You don't want to break the spring the first time you turn the wheel more than 90 deg.

Edit: Also, if you're wearing out the top of the wheel, stop driving like a gansta and start putting your hands where they're supposed to go.
Old 2011-01-04, 02:50 PM   #3
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Edit: Also, if you're wearing out the top of the wheel, stop driving like a gansta and start putting your hands where they're supposed to go.
Thanks for the links Scott.... just the sort of pics I needed. I had read to leave the retaining nut on to prevent self-punching, never would have thought of that.

While I have made it worse, I bought the car with 80+k miles with a slight wear spot and dented/deconstructed airbag emblem (aren't they supposed to have the clear gel cover over the logo?), now at just under 90k, I'm thinking it's now or never to talk myself into replacng it. Found a deal on Nasioc, and it'll be here in a couple days.

On another note, I (think I) know all the '02-03 WRX had the four-spoke Momo wheels, but did all the '04-'05 have three spoke Momo wheels, or was it an option, and standard was the same leather three spoker as I have in my '07?
Old 2011-01-04, 02:52 PM   #4
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Also, I wouldn't have thought that the recommendation to press the brakes was to drain residual in the battery, but makes sense. I was thinking it was some sort of ABS/airbag computer hocus pocus.
Old 2011-01-04, 04:05 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Thanks for the links Scott.... just the sort of pics I needed. I had read to leave the retaining nut on to prevent self-punching, never would have thought of that.

While I have made it worse, I bought the car with 80+k miles with a slight wear spot and dented/deconstructed airbag emblem (aren't they supposed to have the clear gel cover over the logo?), now at just under 90k, I'm thinking it's now or never to talk myself into replacng it. Found a deal on Nasioc, and it'll be here in a couple days.

On another note, I (think I) know all the '02-03 WRX had the four-spoke Momo wheels, but did all the '04-'05 have three spoke Momo wheels, or was it an option, and standard was the same leather three spoker as I have in my '07?
I think all the STi's and WRX's '04+ came with the smaller diameter 3 spoke wheels. The 4 spoke Momos were only on bugeye WRX's. But really they are the same large 4 spoke wheels that have been coming on all Subarus since the '90s. The 4 spoke wheel from my '94 SVX is identical to the Momo off my '02 WRX except it's brown and doesn't say "Momo" on it.

In short: the Momo's came only in '02 and '03 IIRC, but there's nothing special about the Momo wheels, they're just labels. I think the smaller wheels are nicer just for the quicker steering feel... though I like 4 spokes better in general just because you can hang a hand from the center of the wheel on long drives.
Old 2011-01-04, 04:13 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Also, I wouldn't have thought that the recommendation to press the brakes was to drain residual in the battery, but makes sense. I was thinking it was some sort of ABS/airbag computer hocus pocus.
The idea is simply to let the brake lights clear any capacitors in the wiring. Not that it's all that likely for residual voltage to set off the airbag just because you're unplugging it at the wheel. Your probably more apt to set it off because of static generated by sliding your butt in the driver's seat.

One thing to note... never try to use a multimeter across the pins of an airbag to figure out what resistance the system expects in order to make your own SRS light fix. That will likely set off the airbag.
Old 2011-01-05, 09:34 AM   #7
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
One thing to note... never try to use a multimeter across the pins of an airbag to figure out what resistance the system expects in order to make your own SRS light fix. That will likely set off the airbag.
seriously just lol'd. at work.

The wheel is on it's way and I'll know more for sure when it arrives. But, from pics, it's a Momo, with three spokes. Didn't buy it for the name, would have been happy to find a clean stock replacement, but this one came up and looked nice. It's defintely not the same as my '07 stocker - perforated leather at top compared to mine which is smooth leather. Also, it's two leathers around the rest of the rim. Other than that, looks like the exact same wheel. I'd be suprised if I didn't find a Momo stamping on my stocker when I pull it off.

pics are still up it his for sale thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2111304

Last edited by rory_a; 2011-01-05 at 09:40 AM.