Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2007-01-09, 09:54 PM   #1
Pat R.
EJ251

Car: Red
Class: Stockish

¿Quién es tu padre?
Default Meth

So who else watched the much-hyped special about meth tonight? Do you know someone whose life has been affected by it?

Of the people I know who have tried it more than once, every one of them is either missing teeth, unemplyable, or in jail.
Old 2007-01-09, 10:19 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Yeah, most meth heads stand out like a sore thumb. I didn't get to see the special, but I can imagine what it was like. My neighbors are way into meth, they say their moving soon, not soon enough....yuck....
Old 2007-01-09, 11:02 PM   #3
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I had a friend who was way into Meth back in college. As far as I know, he's doing alright (huge safety net from his folks) and got back on his feet. I haven't talked to him in ages though.

Including him, the rest of the methheads I knew were the pseudo-intellectual artist types. Which usually turn into the burnout types, but have a few good years to maybe put out that great opus. Again, most I haven't talked to any of them in 4 years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the ones that didn't kick the habit were turning down the burnout road.
Old 2007-01-10, 07:16 AM   #4
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

That stuff's absolutely disgusting. I saw the show last night, (i don't have cable, so if I wanted to watch tv at 7:30, that's all there was! ) and pretty much every person they had on there was a duplicate of some moron I've known who got strung out on that crap. Call me an asshole, but I can't bring myself to feel too bad for people who still decide to try it, when you can CLEARLY see how it ruins people... The ones I DO feel bad for are children who have meth addict parents, and parents who have meth addict children; The ones who didn't put THEMSELVES in contact with it.
Old 2007-01-10, 08:44 AM   #5
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Meth is the worst drug ever.

I got a DUI when I was 19 (don't talk shit, I've heard it all, and it was a lesson well learned), and was ordered to attended counseling classes every Saturday for 9 months. I would say about 80% of the people in my classes were ex meth-heads. I've never seen the stuff. I don't ever want to. But from what I heard and saw from them firsthand, I can say that I will NEVER touch that shit. It destroys lives. It sucks that it is such a problem in our area.
Old 2007-01-10, 12:52 PM   #6
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

My friend with the blue bugeye Cody and his bro made that video. They both work for global studios.
Old 2007-01-11, 12:15 PM   #7
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R.
..Of the people I know who have tried it more than once, every one of them is either missing teeth, unemplyable, or in jail.
Do you know anybody who only tried it once?

I only got to see a few minutes of it, I saw a few minutes of the sheriff's (? or was it the police dept. head?) daughter, yikes, it can happen to anyone. It looked like it was a good quality production. Rachel watched most of it (since the teachers were offering extra credit for doing so), and said the format was different than what she thought it was going to be. She didn't realize so much of it was going to be testimonials and people talking.

I asked John (my son) whether he thought the message was a good one, and whether the program might help. He didn't think so; in his opinion, the only intervention once you're hooked, is incarceration. And even that doesn't always turn the person around.

It is pretty scary that it's such a big problem here. I'm wondering if it isn't a big problem everywhere; or is there something about NNV that amplifies the problem?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 12:21 PM   #8
MPREZIV
Token

I can say that of the few places I've spent any amount of time, it's pretty prevalent across the left side of the country at least! In Phoenix 4 years ago when I lived there, meth was absolutely RAMPANT. For lack of a better expression, it had really become a plauge on the city. Every where you looked there was some poor bastard on a street corner with no teeth, sores on their skin, and what seemed like nothing at all going on behind their eyes...
Old 2007-01-11, 12:31 PM   #9
MPREZIV
Token

Wow... coincidence. My mom just called me and told me that one of my dad's old drinkin' buddies was just found dead this morning from an overdose... Don't know what he had in him when they found him, but I DO know that Meth was his drug of choice.

Suxors, but I still can't bring myself to feel that bad. He did it to himself.
Old 2007-01-11, 12:53 PM   #10
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Car: 05 Legacy GT, 81 RX7

DKNV,

Not just Nevada but as MPREZIV indicated, it's much of the left coast and probably nationwide soon. I couldn't buy cold medicine in Lewiston Idaho because the OTC drugs for a cold (and are used to make meth) were all locked up in the local Albertson's store and the pharmacist was gone for the evening!

L
Tahoe C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 12:57 PM   #11
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I knew a girl that called it "Crystal", but then again, that was her name. I did her. True story.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 01:23 PM   #12
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

ew you did a meth head.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:24 PM   #13
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

By trasnitive law, I did meth, but not for reals.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:28 PM   #14
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

And if you want to use that same principal we are all gay. Except for the people who are literally gay, they would just be extra gay.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:31 PM   #15
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Not exactly...unless there was a drug called gay and you did it.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:41 PM   #16
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

So then...

...you are gay!?
Old 2007-01-11, 01:42 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Logic isn't your strong suit Jonny. Don't make me use the fail gif.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:45 PM   #18
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Shut up alright! I'm sure I could continue this whatever it is we are having but I don't feel like looking up transitive law right now.

Which in turn means you are gay.

Back on topic... and so is meth.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:46 PM   #19
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Old 2007-01-11, 03:11 PM   #20
Ezdno
EJ251

Car: 1992 F250 1T Monster
Class: none

They were all dead when I got here!

Well after getting 4 phone calls from the Washoe County School District regarding this special presentation, I decided not to watch it or force my kids to watch it. Living the experience of sex, drugs and rock and roll of the 70's thru 90's gives me a bit of insight into the forum. Not bragging or proud of, but I am OLD...experimenting with Pot, Krank, Shrooms, Acid, Coke, and even Free Base is in my history, no needles, thats just creepy. I have people that are close to me that have been impacted by Meth as well, my Hells Angel Step father was into everything and anything and paid the price with half of his adult life being in prison, and then a sudden death due to messing with the neighbors wife.

Since I didnt watch the show, I dont know the details, but I will say that we are very open with our kids, about education, not just drugs, but alcohol and sex. Education and openess are probably the best weapon against things like meth. Peer pressure is certainly going to have a certain influence, but we like to think our kids might use peer pressure to keep some of their friends from trying meth. Naive, perhaps.

We run a youth baseball and softball league in Sun Valley, meth heaven as some might say. We spend MANY days and hours helping kids learn the game, which sometimes become life lessons. Some get lost in reality, I would like to think we influence more in the right direction.

I heard on the media aftermath that Nevada ranks #1 in the Meth war, I would like to see hard stats or where they come up with this info, we have such a transient base how could you determine that. I would also like to know how many other States watched that feature. Just my curiosity. Before anyone gets on the Sun Valley rant,
I believe the national stats indicate that above middle class has the highest amount of cases.

As far as the appearance of the meth head, everyone I have known has had massive acne, pock marks, rotting teeth, and sunkin features. However as in my case, a Steel metal pole to the face can have a serious impact on tooth health as well.

Back in the day, Freebase was the most addictive drug available, and I am happy to say all of the people I know that "experimented" with the long list of drugs mentioned above all have families and to my knowledge are living productive healthy lives.

I could tell you stories! Real life stories.
Old 2007-01-11, 04:19 PM   #21
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Ezdno, so, have you told your kids of your past history with the illegal substances? Is that what you are saying in your post, about being open with them about it? Or are you saying you talk about the issue with them, freely?

I do think family communication is a key factor in helping children learn what the right course is -- but then, to follow through with that, I would assume you would have to freely tell them there might be a problem, if or when they bring home a friend who you would suspect is using. Some kids are open to hearing that, others not, and can get to a point where they consider these friends more important than their family. I think peer pressure can be a very large influence for certain kids.

I too, know a few people who experimented, and while I would say they are living productive and hopefully healthy lives with families and careers et al, they are also not as well-off (i.e. homes, careers, possessions, kids in college) as some of my other friends who never experimented. (It's an interesting question to ponder - whether the 'more well-off' friends are as happy with how their life turned out, compared to those who experimented while traveling the road of life.)
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 04:20 PM   #22
Ezdno
EJ251

Car: 1992 F250 1T Monster
Class: none

They were all dead when I got here!

Both, I have told them about my history and talk openly and freely with them both, as well as their friends that come over. We are also very active in their school and extra curricular activities, both with attendance, encouragement, re-inforcement, and financial.

There is an old saying my father used to use...Life is a series of decisions...your goal is to make as many right ones as possible. We try and instill that in all the kids we come in contact with, both in our family and our youth league.

We spend as much time with our kids as they can possibly stand LOL.

Why just the other day I gave my son his first lesson in Brake Pad replacement on one Subaru WRX....funny thing is he says..Thats all it is? I like changing brake pads.

He might have been sniffin brake fluid!