Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2005-07-15, 11:44 AM   #1
doubleurx
EJ205

Default Vishnu

I think there products are really well made. I especially like the TBE that I had on my WRX. I think Sperry has the same.

Unfortunately I think their customer service has to be the worst I have ever experienced. I had problems with my reflash, and tried to contact them over 6 months with no response. I finally gave up and had the car re-flashed by Nate. Hopefully things change for Vishnu, although I tend to hear continued issues with customer service. My experience was so bad that they will never get my business again.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-15, 12:08 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I was a big fan of Vishnu back in the days when there was only 2 choices, them or Cobb. I did their Stage 0 (the original one: up-pipe, plugs, crank pulley, MBC, and UniChip) and then added Stage 1 (TBE exhaust) plus the intercooler hoses, and finally added the EFI piggyback for the UniChip to try and get the car to run a bit smoother.

At the time, it was pretty sick, compared to the competition.

I had some issues w/ my up-pipe/header gasket. I tried 3 different gaskets, and finally gave up. I contacted Vishnu and they cross-shipped me a flex up-pipe (which were brand new on the market, and hard to come by at the time) free! Not bad!

Unfortunately, it was shortly after that, that their customer service went downhill. I emailed and called them several times trying to purchase a set of their custom valved JIC coilovers... after a few weeks of never getting a response, and never being able to leave a voicemail because their system was always full, I gave up and took my business elsewhere. In addition, just trying to get in touch w/ them for some tech-help regarding the car became impossible as well. I stopped going to Vishnu after that... I figured if they've got so much business they don't have the time to support their existing customers, or are even interested in selling me $1700 coilovers, then I'll go elsewhere.

I'm guessing the root of their customer service issues stemmed from the business growing far faster than they could cope with, especially when they got into the EVO market as well. Chances are they've caught up with things by now, since it's been more than a year since my issues w/ them. But I've moved on to a different tuner, and I'm happy with them.

BTW: I'm still running all the bits I purchased from Vishnu, except the UniChip, and I'm still very happy with the quality of their products.
Old 2005-07-15, 04:31 PM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I actually worked at Vishnu (I was the shipping department) during Scott's JIC buying attempts there. It was crazy there; phones would never stop ringing, we couldn't empty our voicemail fast enough to keep up with calls while we were returning messages (some, but far from all ) and basically just being woefully understaffed. The complete farce of customer service there was a big reason that I left. That, and the 65 mile commute for $10 an hour.

However, things have changed. There are about twice as many people there now, and none of them are leftover from my tenure. Things seem to have dramatically improved on the CS front, but most still don't consider it top notch. Plus, the competition locally has improved by leaps and bounds; few would say at this point that Vishnu has the same edge in tuning ability and experience.

As for their products, they are all good quality, just a bit pricier than the competition mostly. Their exhausts used to be either hand made by a fellow locally, or manufactured in Australia by a company called Taipan XP. It was good stuff, but shipping and exchange rates made it prohibitively expensive. Now Vishnu's "standard" exhaust is Helix, from Gruppe-S, and I don't believe the quality has changed, still good.
Old 2005-07-15, 04:50 PM   #4
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Car: 09 335xi silva

Nothin but bad experiences with Shiv and his staff. I couldnt be bribed to buy something from them.

"In order for me to get busy at maximum efficiency, i need a girl with a big 400 ton booty."
dayofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-20, 07:25 PM   #5
Evo Mike
EJ251

i found it easy to get a hold of shiv/vishnu staff.. and dyno appointments were relatively easy to get too.. but from what i hear, vishnu has moved over to modding/tuneing more evo's than wrx's.. i may be wrong.. but it's just what i heard.

the parts are a little over priced IMO
Old 2005-07-21, 01:05 AM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Shiv really dislikes Subarus. He'd like to simply drop them altogether, but considering he now does zero R&D on them and there's still enough people that like his services, he makes a good margin on them.