Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2003-04-15, 02:14 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Once again, Vishnu kicks ass!

Well, I called up Vishnu about my leaky up-pipe.

They're gonna send me a flex-jointed up-pipe kit for free as soon as they get some in stock, provided I send them my solid up-pipe back after I do the swap. No charge!

These guys rule... I was sure they would prolly charge me for the up-pipe, or perhaps give me a discount on the flex up-pipe at best. But "free" is the best kinda discount! Plus they're sending me a kit, which means new gaskets, studs and bolts too!

If anyone's not sure about ordering Vishnu... I say do it! The only other tuner that comes close is Cobb, but they're in Texas... Vishnu's just a hop and a skip away in the Bay.
Old 2003-04-15, 02:26 PM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

How long is the drive? I have been thinking of going Cobb, but never realized they were in Texas.
Old 2003-04-15, 03:21 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
How long is the drive? I have been thinking of going Cobb, but never realized they were in Texas.
Vishnu's in Pleasenton, CA... About 4 hours away IIRC. Ask Austin, he lives in the town next to Pleasenton. Pleasenton's East Bay Area... right next to Livermore, Dublin, San Ramon, etc.

I grew up in San Ramon... nice place if you can stand all the rich stuck-up types that moved in there during the Dot Com bubble.
Old 2003-04-15, 03:26 PM   #4
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

If you're not worrying about traffic, it's 4 hours from here to Reno. If there's traffic (either through Sac or here in the bay) it can be 5+ hours depending on how bad it is. The bad areas are usually going out 580 to get to Hwy. 5, and then Hwy. 80 through Sac/Roseville.

Actually we're probably gonna move to Dublin/Pleasanton at least by this fall and get a nicer place (garage *mandatory*).
Old 2003-04-15, 03:50 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Actually we're probably gonna move to Dublin/Pleasanton at least by this fall and get a nicer place (garage *mandatory*).
Dude, I hope you have like $50k to put down on a house cuz most places need 10%. And a $500,000 home in Dublin / Pleasanton's gonna be like the "Yellow Beater House"... okay maybe not that bad...

My parents house in Danville (it's nice) would be a $300,000 to $400,000 home in Reno... they got it for like $500k in 1998... houses in that neighborhood sell upwards of $1.2M now. Housing is RETARDED EXPENSIVE in the Bay, esp. in the San Ramon Valley... I'd try to stay in Livermore... cheaper and closer to work, right?

'Course I haven't lived in the Bay pushing on 8 years now, so I prolly don't know what I'm talking about... but according to my parents, living there sucks ass if you don't already own a home.

BTW: I hear SLO is getting like that now too... remember those "I can't believe it's not condemed" houses that sold for $200k? Well, now they're $400k homes ! Oh and they've got 5 more years worth of frat parties in them... that's 5 more years of puke stains, keg damage, cars parked on the lawn, and random urination. Damn, I miss college.
Old 2003-04-15, 04:03 PM   #6
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

COBB is in Salt Lake City UTAH, not TEXAS. SLC is a little closer than texas.
at least that what the website says.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-15, 04:06 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc03
COBB is in Salt Lake City UTAH, not TEXAS. SLC is a little closer than texas.
at least that what the website says.
Salt Lake's their nearest "authorized installation center" IIRC. I was planning a road trip out there for an APC/Cobb setup before I started reading more about Vishnu's stuff.

So, yeah... you can go to Salt Lake to get stuff installed... but with Vishnu, you can actually go talk to THE MAN and have him personally tune your car! Plus Vishnu's got an AWD dyno in house... I doubt the Salt Lake Cobb shop does.
Old 2003-04-15, 04:06 PM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Ut oh. Now I won't be able to decide. Now with Cobb Tuning's AccessECU, it makes it a toughy. Next they will have their turbo-back out!
Old 2003-04-15, 04:11 PM   #9
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

i think COBB does have a AWD dyno there. and i thought that was there main location?

Old 2003-04-15, 04:13 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Salt Lake's their nearest "authorized installation center" IIRC. I was planning a road trip out there for an APC/Cobb setup before I started reading more about Vishnu's stuff.
Well, just checked Cobb's site...

Modern Garage
4677 South Cherry St (440W)
Murray, UT 84123
Phn: 801.262.4605
Fax: 801.313.1433
www.moderngarage.com

At least that's their mailing address... so, I stand corrected! I wonder if Trey moved up to Utah, or if his personal shop is just shut down...

here's their current TX shop:

Forced Induction Systems
10040 Champion Lane
Mckinney, TX 75071
Phn: 972.346.2401
Fax: 972.347.3270
www.fi-systems.com
info@fi-systems.com
AWD Mustang Dyno
Old 2003-04-15, 04:21 PM   #11
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

yah i just went by the mailing address.

Old 2003-04-16, 07:38 AM   #12
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Dude, I hope you have like $50k to put down on a house cuz most places need 10%. And a $500,000 home in Dublin / Pleasanton's gonna be like the "Yellow Beater House"... okay maybe not that bad...

My parents house in Danville (it's nice) would be a $300,000 to $400,000 home in Reno... they got it for like $500k in 1998... houses in that neighborhood sell upwards of $1.2M now. Housing is RETARDED EXPENSIVE in the Bay, esp. in the San Ramon Valley... I'd try to stay in Livermore... cheaper and closer to work, right?

'Course I haven't lived in the Bay pushing on 8 years now, so I prolly don't know what I'm talking about... but according to my parents, living there sucks ass if you don't already own a home.

BTW: I hear SLO is getting like that now too... remember those "I can't believe it's not condemed" houses that sold for $200k? Well, now they're $400k homes ! Oh and they've got 5 more years worth of frat parties in them... that's 5 more years of puke stains, keg damage, cars parked on the lawn, and random urination. Damn, I miss college.
LOL yeah I wish we had enough money to buy a house, we're just talking about renting another apartment/townhouse (that has a garage). She's probably gonna start school at Hayward in the fall though, so moving to Dub/Pl will help her out with her commute a *lot* so she doesn't have to deal with the 580 stretch through Livermore valley. I'd be going against traffic both ways to get to LLNL so it'd only be like a 15min. commute for me, and it would cut at least 30 minutes (usually like 45) off her commute to Hayward.

Yeah I hear the housing in SLO is getting mad expensive now, but I did a little checking and the prices in the surrounding areas still aren't too bad, some under $200k. Then you probably wouldn't have to deal with the partying/random urination factor in the house you're buying too.
Old 2003-04-16, 07:57 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Yeah I hear the housing in SLO is getting mad expensive now, but I did a little checking and the prices in the surrounding areas still aren't too bad, some under $200k. Then you probably wouldn't have to deal with the partying/random urination factor in the house you're buying too.
Sounds like Atrashcadero or A.G... Actually, living south of SLO wouldn't be bad... but if you live on the high-side of the grade.... well summer's a f'in hot BIOTCH out there... actually, it's like Livermore.. !

What's Laura going to school for? Doesn't she already have a Masters in "Whale Hippification" or something? :wink:
Old 2003-04-16, 11:53 AM   #14
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Car: 09 335xi silva

just to clear up the confussion. cobb tuning is moving its headquarters to slc. since they are in the process of moving, modern garage (my other sponsor) will be handling most of their sales work. modern garage has a great staff of uber nice people. christian (at modern garage) can answer more questions if any of you have them. modern garage has done ALL of my ecu tuning. and they should have their awd drive dyno up and running. so they can provide even more acurate tuning.

slc is about an 8 hour drive 9 with the time change. sf is about a 3 hour drive. both of these numbers are minus traffic.

as for opinions on vishnu, my mommy told me if i have nothing nice to say then to not say anything. and believe me, i have NOTHING nice to say. ever wonder why cobb makes better faster cars, yet somehow vishnu and m2 are mentioned more in magazines?? vishnu writes for sport compact car. and he writes most of the reviews on the "other" companies out there. objective much? talk about a conflict of interest.

"In order for me to get busy at maximum efficiency, i need a girl with a big 400 ton booty."
dayofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-16, 12:20 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Wow, that's pretty interesting about the magazine articles. I didn't know that... 'course I really don't read the car mags on a regular basis, and I always take those articles with a giant grain of salt, since more often than not they don't really seem to know what they're talking about.

When I was doing my shopping for power mods, I was pretty set on the APS/Cobb setup. The people on I-club started ranting about Vishnu stuff. I guess a lot of people were pretty happy with Shiv's RS-T setup, even tho it was a bit spendy. Anyway, looking at the Vishnu stage 0 setup for the WRX I was impressed. 275hp for about $1000? not bad! 300hp for $3000? That was $1000 cheaper than Cobb's offering, and it was far more local. And I've been pretty impressed and happy with Vishnu since then.

I don't know Cobb's current lineup anymore. I heard they dropped APS? Maybe that'll help them bring down the cost of their stages... Like I said, I dunno their current lineup.

Of course, I don't mean to take away from Cobb at all, I know they're one of the pre-eminant tuners for WRXs. I've got a friend in San Luis Obispo that's planning on going Cobb when he gets his WRX in the fall. And having talked with Trey on a very limited basis a while back, I got the impression that he's a nice and knowledgeable guy. Plus, I have their short shifter... too bad I got it before the double-adjustalbe version came out, hehe.