Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2009-06-30, 12:15 AM   #1
renorex
EJ18

Car: 2007 Subaru WRX LTD
Default DRL Disable

Okay, so I installed an HID kit several months ago and did the DRL disable for my 2007 WRX. Problem is, my DRL's flicker on and off when I'm driving still, sometimes they just stay on. I've posted on here and NASIOC trying to find a solution and so far no luck (lots of suggestions, but none worked). If I took it to the dealer or a shop would they be able to disable them or figure out what the problem is? Any other suggestions are welcome.
renorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 03:08 AM   #2
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

As far as I know, at least for 2005 and earlier, there are 2 relays for the DRLs. One is under the hood, and the other is behind the glove box. I would say whichever one you did, do the other one also and see if that works. Otherwise, drive with your e-brake up one click
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 06:01 AM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Have you contacted the manufacturer of your HID kit? If they did not do it before the HID kit, then something in the wiring for the kit is causing the problem.

Have you tried disconnecting the kit one positive wire at a time?

Have you tried putting diodes on each of the positive wires?

You have some sort of reverse power path. It is most likely on the positive side, but remotely possible that it is on the ground side. You have to find it and isolate it to resolve the issue.

Is everything fine if you undisable the drls?

If you do not feel comfortable doing the testing, you are going to need to find someone who will which is going to cost you either beer or real money.
Old 2009-06-30, 08:46 AM   #4
renorex
EJ18

I'm definately not competent enough with wiring to figure it out on my own, so I could use some help. If anyone would be willing to help, I'd be very appreciative.
Old 2009-06-30, 10:45 AM   #5
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Did you install the HIDs? If so, doing some of the stuff I listed is no tougher.
Old 2009-06-30, 11:46 PM   #6
renorex
EJ18

My buddy did most of it. I helped and tried to learn. I understand that these are not really difficult things to do, I just have no experience or knowledge of how to go about it. Again, I'm reaching out for some help here. I know that nobody really knows me here, but I will compensate someone for their time given that they know what they're doing.
Old 2009-07-01, 06:29 AM   #7
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I am glad to give a helping hand where I can and I know there are a handful of other people here who feel the same way. I should be getting my transmission today so I will be in the garage tonight putting it back in my car. I seem to be getting sick today but you are more than welcome to come by and I can try and help. PM me your number and I will call you if the Dr. says that I don't have strep or swine flu. In the mean time I will be on NASIOC trying to find some helpful info, hopefully with pictures.
Old 2009-07-01, 06:43 AM   #8
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

A search from nasioc turned up this post. Someone asked
Quote:
I just put in a set of jdm sti hid's in my bugeye and the day time running lights will not stay off. As soon as I put my e-break down they turn on. When I had my stock lights in I had just unpluged the little box thing for them under the hood and they stayed off with no problems. Is there any other way for me to turn them off?
Answer.

Quote:
You want to pull connector B102 (zone B5). The easiest way to get to it is to remove the glove box. It's only a few screws, all of which are readily visible once you open the door.

If you know someone with small hands, they can get to it without removing the glove box.

Did you unplug that already?
Old 2009-07-01, 06:46 AM   #9
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Actually, here is a complete DIY for an 07 HID install. With pictures
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&highlight=DRL
Old 2009-07-01, 11:26 AM   #10
renorex
EJ18

I actually did check that thread out when I started having problems. I tried that method of disabling the DRL's versus disconnecting the wire under the glove box and that didn't work either. I think you are right about getting feedback through them though. I'll PM you my number. Thanks for all your help so far.