Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-01-04, 05:04 PM   #26
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

The guys at Ground Control are very knowledgeable and helpful too. I've spoken with them when I was deciding on a new suspension setup.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 10:35 PM   #27
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

FTR, AGX have combined bound and rebound damping adjustment, but they are definitely a top choice for street suspension, partly because of that. As was mentioned, underdamped sprigns bounce, over damped springs are jarring. But when you have underdamped springs that aren't very stiff to begin with (like the stock springs on AGX on my Miata) the ride is fine because the bounce frequency of each end of the car is still fairly low. Stiffer springs oscillate faster when underdamped, which is why Scott's JICs were utterly unbearable on the freeway.

Bottom line, a GC/AGX combo with proper rates will be very much what you're looking for.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:24 AM   #28
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I have to agree on the GC and AGX choice. They'll give you what you need at a decent price. A set of full coilovers will cost more than you want to spend and give you barely adequate streetability that will take some getting used to.

I noticed my Helix DNAs mentioned a little earlier. The $1000 price tag is supposed to be an "introductory" price since they're relatively new to the market. I don't know what the actual full price will turn out to be, if it is even really more than that.

At any rate, based on the criteria you listed, I'd skip them. They're not bad - ultimately I prefer them over the stock suspension - but they have a bit of a design flaw that Cory and I learned about the hard way. They are definitely ride-height adjustable, but raising the rear end all the way barely gets you 14" from wheel center to fender lip. That means that your highest possible ride will actually be the lowest recommended ride height for a WRX. That certainly won't get you raised for the winter.

When it comes time for me to replace these, I'll probably just go with the GC/AGX combo, myself.

Last edited by M3n2c3; 2006-01-05 at 12:27 AM.
M3n2c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 10:37 AM   #29
ddub
EJ22

Car: 04 wrx, bunch of mods

Does anyone sell just adjustable perch's without the springs? I have King Springs on right now and don't really need to replace them. However, I would replace the struts with AGX's if i lowered my car any further. I will replace the springs if I need to though with the GC setup.
How hard is the install for GC's and AGX's? Do I need a spring compressor or anything else?
Thanks for all the help.
ddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 10:51 AM   #30
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I don't think you'll have much luck finding adjustable perches for regular springs, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

These Skunk2's are basically the same idea as the GC's, but cheaper.
Old 2006-01-05, 11:10 AM   #31
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub
Does anyone sell just adjustable perch's without the springs? I have King Springs on right now and don't really need to replace them. However, I would replace the struts with AGX's if i lowered my car any further. I will replace the springs if I need to though with the GC setup.
How hard is the install for GC's and AGX's? Do I need a spring compressor or anything else?
Thanks for all the help.
I don't think I've ever seen an adjustable perch for an OEM sized spring... they're all for 2.5" springs, which is what the Eibachs that come with the GC kit have.

Don't forget, you should be able to sell your existing springs for like $100 to $200, right?
Old 2006-01-05, 11:22 AM   #32
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub
Thanks for all the help.
Yeah, you'll want a spring compressor. Installation shouldn't be too difficult provided you have the right tools, but that's just the impression I got while watching Cory install my coil-overs

Having seen it done, though, I'm now sure that it's something one could accomplish in his own garage provided he had someone to lend a hand with various tasks - such as lifting the assembly back up to the chassis to seat the topmounts. I'm sure the other guys here will say it's a piece of cake.

I'd guess that the time-consuming parts will be assembling the struts with springs and topmounts and then adjusting for appropriate ride-height once they're on.

Oh, and I believe I've heard those Skunk2 springs stink.
Old 2006-01-05, 11:44 AM   #33
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3
Oh, and I believe I've heard those Skunk2 springs stink.
I can't even find the springrate of the springs they come with.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:19 PM   #34
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

It definitely helps to have 2 sets of hands during a suspension install, but spring compressors are not necessary. And the Skunk2 springs are garbage. No telling what the rates are, and they will wear out fast.