Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2004-03-12, 08:58 PM   #1
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default 2004 Autocross classes

OK, I won't just copy and paste the whole thing because the guys on Nasioc do a great job of maintaing it.

Here is the link...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

For us STX guys, we have what appears is the definitive answer on reflashes etc.

* ECU reprogramming. Map must have unaltered factory boost maps.
* Piggyback, see STS. No changes to boost control are permitted. Examples of allowed devices: Vishnu Unichip, Cobb Unichip without Boost Control Unit, Apexi S-AFC. Examples of illegal devices: TurboXS Unichip (controls boost), UTEC (acts as a standalone for timing control).

Don't know what this does to Scott's plan. I thought he said UTEC.

Looks like a reflash is the way to go... Any reason to go with any add-on with that as an option?

Where is the WRX ECU anyway? I love having two for my A4. No more than a 5 minute swap...
Old 2004-03-12, 10:25 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

This is Scott on Matt's computer....

I'm not doing the UTEC, I'm doing the EcuTek... straight reflash, no boost changes. And if there are issues with people complaining at a fivisional or something, I'll just have to plug the old Vishnu UniChip back in. If only I chould reporgram the UniChip at home.

WRX ECU is under the passenger seat footwell, just peal the floor back, there's a metal plate w/ 3 nuts holding it down... ECU's hiding under there.
Old 2004-03-12, 11:19 PM   #3
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott on Matt's computer
I'm not doing the UTEC, I'm doing the EcuTek... straight reflash, no boost changes.
I get it. I wish the two didn't sound almost the same...
Old 2004-03-13, 01:26 AM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Actually EcuTek reflashes go through the OBDII port. No carpet pulling necessary (man, I tried so hard to turn that into a carpet laying joke, too). If you buy Delta Dash, you can actually pull up the maps and compare them to the stock boost maps to show any complainers. Besides, I'd be willing to bet you aren't the only WRX that shows up in Topeka with a reflash. The Cobb AccessECU guys will have a harder time proving it, as there is no user tune for that yet.

Oh, and go ahead and pull your carpets up anyway, this goes for everyone with a WRX. I have DeltaDash and 2 ECUs, one of which is sold and one for my car. Their part numbers end in AF421 and AF423. If you guys have numbers that match that, I can use my DeltaDash on your ECU as well. I need to ship one out soon so let me know which one you guys have. It would be an '02 5MT, btw.
Old 2004-03-13, 07:44 AM   #5
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Oh, and go ahead and pull your carpets up anyway, this goes for everyone with a WRX. I have DeltaDash and 2 ECUs, one of which is sold and one for my car. Their part numbers end in AF421 and AF423. If you guys have numbers that match that, I can use my DeltaDash on your ECU as well. I need to ship one out soon so let me know which one you guys have. It would be an '02 5MT, btw.
I read that Delta dash was limited to 3 ECUs, is that why you are looking for a match? Have you tried figuring out how they track them? Registry key, or data file... Somebody must have figured it out... What if you change PCs?
Old 2004-03-13, 12:35 PM   #6
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Quote:
Actually EcuTek reflashes go through the OBDII port. No carpet pulling necessary (man, I tried so hard to turn that into a carpet laying joke, too). If you buy Delta Dash, you can actually pull up the maps and compare them to the stock boost maps to show any complainers. Besides, I'd be willing to bet you aren't the only WRX that shows up in Topeka with a reflash. The Cobb AccessECU guys will have a harder time proving it, as there is no user tune for that yet.
Unless they are a-holes and dont trust what your computer screen says.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 01:01 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I believe the DeltaDash software maps itself to the 1st 3 ECUs you connect to it by reading the unique ID out of the ECU itself. DeltaDash also uses a parallel port dongle, and my guess it those ECU numbers are recorded in the dongle, so you should be able to use it on whatever you want if you can hack the dongle... or better yet, hack the software to ignore the dongle. 'Course at $300 for DeltaDash, it's really not too expensive for what you're getting, considering it comes with the proper OBD-II to serial cable that are expensive to build yourself.

BTW, there are two versions of DeltaDash, and the "shop" version (which costs boat-loads more) doesn't have the 3 car limitation, but you have to buy modules for each type of car you want to be able to reflash.

I should be getting my own copy of DeltaDash to go w/ my ECU, so no need to share w/ you Kevin.
Old 2004-03-13, 01:03 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
Quote:
Unless they are a-holes and dont trust what your computer screen says.
Hopefully SCCA would have their own special copy of DeltaDash that then can use to pull maps in a dispute. That way, you'd have to build an ECU simulator that will report a stock map to the computer... and I don't think anyone yet has the desire to build a fack ECU computer... way too much work.
Old 2004-03-13, 01:31 PM   #9
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
[Hopefully SCCA would have their own special copy of DeltaDash that then can use to pull maps in a dispute. That way, you'd have to build an ECU simulator that will report a stock map to the computer... and I don't think anyone yet has the desire to build a fack ECU computer... way too much work.
Don't need a fake.. A real stock ECU plugged to OBD2 and hidden somewhere would work. You could power it and if you really wanted tie it to the inputs so you could even start the car and read data from it. OK, that is way to much effort, but I could see someone doing it.
Old 2004-03-13, 02:05 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

An SCCA provided recording boost gauge would be the best way to check. Someone bitches, you slap it on the manifold... run the car around a bit then watch the boost... if it looks "unstock" you're boned.
Old 2004-03-13, 03:29 PM   #11
STIwish
EJ251

Quote:
An SCCA provided recording boost gauge would be the best way to check. Someone bitches, you slap it on the manifold... run the car around a bit then watch the boost... if it looks "unstock" you're boned.
Yeah, but arent the stock boost levels in a lot of cars pretty varying? such as the Evo?
Old 2004-03-13, 03:45 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIwish
Quote:
Yeah, but arent the stock boost levels in a lot of cars pretty varying? such as the Evo?
Well, it shouldn't vary much from one EVO to another. The boost map in the ECU specifies what the wastegate will allow per rmp and engine load. So, except for boost changes to the curve due to legal mods like exhaust, the boost should pretty much match from vehicle to vehicle.

For example on a WRX, if a telltale gauge were to show 15psi boost in 1st gear, well you know there's something going on, since the stock map limits the boost to about 9psi in 1st. Even though a WRX w/ an exhaust will have boost come on a little sooner, you shouldn't see more than the max for that gear since the ECU is controlling the wastegate to limit boost.
Old 2004-03-13, 03:51 PM   #13
STIwish
EJ251

O okay, I was just curious, as I've seen mad variance on stock boost and even 1/4 mile times between Evos... and also in Neons.. some are just factory freaks I guess.
Old 2004-03-13, 08:47 PM   #14
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

DeltaDash records licenses used on the dongle (mine is USB) and it holds the part number, not the individual serial number. So, if I use the ECU that ends in AF423, any other ECU with that part number can be read by my DeltaDash. The forums on www.ecutek.com answer a lot of these questions.