Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-12-18, 12:35 PM   #1
doubleurx
EJ205

Default EVO envy

My brother just bought a modified EVO VIII with 9000 miles on Ebay for $10,000!

It was priced that way as a buy it now form someone that is leaving the country. He is purchasing it through one of ebay's secure payment arrangements in case it is a scam. Apparantly the car has already been checked and verified by Ebay's delivery service.

Now for the scary part: It apparantly was dyno tuned to over 400 whp. The car will be delivered to him a week from next monday. He pays $4000 up front to Ebay's secure pay and then pays the remaining amount on delivery.

We shall see what happens. I'll update when he gets the car.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 12:50 PM   #2
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

What a Christmas present!!
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 01:00 PM   #3
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

nice find!!!! :shock: any link to the E-bay pics?
Old 2004-12-18, 03:54 PM   #4
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
nice find!!!! :shock: any link to the E-bay pics?
I asked for the same, but it already has been pulled. He may get some pics this week. According to the ebay delivery consultant (or whoever they are), the car is already in their hands. As soon as they receive the downpayment the car is shipped. He also said that he has 15 days with the car that he can decide to return or keep. If this is the case with buying through ebay, then that is awesome way to buy a car. When he actually gets delivery, I will believe it. Sounds too good to be true, but he swears that it is all legit. Heck I've spent 1/2 the cost of that car in the current mods on my car!
Old 2004-12-18, 05:43 PM   #5
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Hopefully it was tuned well!

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 07:37 PM   #6
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Re: EVO envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx
My brother just bought a modified EVO VIII with 9000 miles on Ebay for $10,000!...
He pays $4000 up front to Ebay's secure pay and then pays the remaining amount on delivery.
I am not doubting you/him, but I spend quite a bit of time on ebay, and this sounds like it could be something to be very careful of. I suggest you discuss it further with him as it smells to good to be true, and some things sound wonky.

1. As far as I can tell, no Non-Salvage Evo has sold for under $18,9000 since 12/4. The only thing close is a very heavily damaged salvage one for $7,7000. Unless it was before then, then I do not beleive it happened on eBay as I do not beleive they remove any listings under 14 days old.

2. As far as I know, eBay does not have an escrow service, or a delivery service. The recomend escrow.com, and DAS auto shippers, but do not have ones of their own.

3. Even escrow.com requires 100% payment, and does not release the vehicle until they are received.

Hopefully it didn't start out as an auction that they then concluded off-line because then non of the ebay protections apply. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't sound right.
Old 2004-12-19, 10:11 AM   #7
doubleurx
EJ205

Default Re: EVO envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Quote:
My brother just bought a modified EVO VIII with 9000 miles on Ebay for $10,000!...
He pays $4000 up front to Ebay's secure pay and then pays the remaining amount on delivery.
I am not doubting you/him, but I spend quite a bit of time on ebay, and this sounds like it could be something to be very careful of. I suggest you discuss it further with him as it smells to good to be true, and some things sound wonky.

1. As far as I can tell, no Non-Salvage Evo has sold for under $18,9000 since 12/4. The only thing close is a very heavily damaged salvage one for $7,7000. Unless it was before then, then I do not beleive it happened on eBay as I do not beleive they remove any listings under 14 days old.

2. As far as I know, eBay does not have an escrow service, or a delivery service. The recomend escrow.com, and DAS auto shippers, but do not have ones of their own.

3. Even escrow.com requires 100% payment, and does not release the vehicle until they are received.

Hopefully it didn't start out as an auction that they then concluded off-line because then non of the ebay protections apply. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't sound right.
I agree with you Dean. I had the same discussion with him. I can't imagine he would be making it up. As to whether or not he is getting ripped off.........well that's why I said I will believe it when he recieves the car. It would be wonderful for him if it were true. I know he did call him directly to solidify the deal. As for the agency they are using, you are correct it is not ebay directly, but a service that they recommended. I'll try to find out more details. He did say that he does not pay the final amount until the car is delivered for his inspection.

I'll let you know as it unfolds. Pretty insane story though.
Old 2004-12-21, 09:39 AM   #8
doubleurx
EJ205

So far so good on the transaction according to my brother. I just don't see how is possible. At any rate, here's a link to the car and specs. It looks pretty amazing. Again, I'll believe it when I see the pic with my brother in the car.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/412360
Old 2004-12-21, 09:45 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
So far so good on the transaction according to my brother. I just don't see how is possible. At any rate, here's a link to the car and specs. It looks pretty amazing. Again, I'll believe it when I see the pic with my brother in the car.

1st things 1st.... ditch the MBC and get at least a basic electronic boost controller. In fact, why doesn't a car w/ "standalone" engine management have an EBC built in?

I'd be mostly worried that your brother is buying a blown up car.
Old 2004-12-21, 09:55 AM   #10
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Uuugh! I hate that color
Old 2004-12-21, 09:57 AM   #11
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:

1st things 1st.... ditch the MBC and get at least a basic electronic boost controller. In fact, why doesn't a car w/ "standalone" engine management have an EBC built in?

I'd be mostly worried that your brother is buying a blown up car.
Yes I agree, but even with a blown motor $10K seems too low (I agree with Dean) to be true. Check out his email address on the link. I would be nervous about any transaction with deciet@............ also, but my brother is a big boy and lives to far away to hear the negative side of the deal. For better or worse, he is sold, has sent a $4000 deposit through some insured service and is expecting delivery next Monday. I told him he needs to take a picture of him in the driver seat for me to believe it.
Old 2004-12-22, 10:36 PM   #12
doubleurx
EJ205

All I can say is "HOSED"

Sad to see my brother go through it, but he heard it from me and indirectly through most of you. He was insured for most of the downpayment (western union certified/insured deposit), but has to struggle through the mess with the local and federal authorities. Could be 3-6 months to recoup 80% of $4000. I suppose it could be worse.

Never go for the "too good to be true"!

Sorry to waste all of your time on this post.
Old 2004-12-22, 11:20 PM   #13
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

No reason to appologize, it is a great lesson for all of us. If it sounds to good to be tue, it probably is... Very, very, very few people actualy get the $1 Porsche from the disgruntled wife, etc.

Anybody can put up a good official looking web site, and sound ligit... Protect yourself...

I am currently trying to recover about $8 from one of my eBay auctions, but as I paid through paypal, with a credit card, it will be relatively painless. On cars on ebay, I reccomend only buying from dealerships that you can verify by other means like phone book, etc, or other parties where you or someone you know can actually inspect the vehicle, and complete the transaction in person.
Old 2004-12-22, 11:21 PM   #14
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

The *really* big red flag on eBay is when they say "you have to use this escrow site so it's safe for both of us." The site is probably a scam used with other eBay auctions. It's one of the major tools scammers use. eBay or somebody posted an article where a major scammer revealed all the tricks.
Old 2004-12-23, 08:15 AM   #15
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

That's too bad that a monetary loss is also part of his learning.

In the end, it sounds similar to the pppowerbook story. (Now I can't find the thread thru a google search. Did anyone keep the original thread link from the something awful forums?)
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 09:24 AM   #16
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

People Suck
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 09:26 AM   #17
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Thats too bad. I hope it'll all work out.
Old 2004-12-23, 09:32 AM   #18
doubleurx
EJ205

Considering how foolish he feels, he said he is still upbeat that he can recover the money???

He is the one that first got me into WRX's. He got his in 2001 and has steadily modified that thing into a monster.

Live and learn!
Old 2004-12-23, 10:59 AM   #19
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

sucks! live and learn :?
Old 2004-12-23, 12:22 PM   #20
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
On cars on ebay, I reccomend only buying from dealerships that you can verify by other means like phone book, etc, or other parties where you or someone you know can actually inspect the vehicle, and complete the transaction in person.
My family has bought 3 cars on ebay sight unseen, granted we went and picked them up but we have never had a problem and all have been private parties. Just gotta use your head.