Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2003-10-14, 10:02 PM   #1
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod
Default Kill Bill (minor spoilers inside, read after viewing)

a small reaction to Kill Bill.

synopsis: I wanted more out of it, but I got enough to like it.

So the fourth film by the big QT. Remember how you felt when you saw Pulp Fiction for the first time, if you are lucky like me you saw in the theatre. Well Kill Bill is going to evoke a lot of those feelings but not quite the same altogether rush. The plot tells you what’s coming next but, like a good QT film you have no idea how it’s going to unfold. QT makes a great case for himself, he has effortless ability to make a scene worth looking at. His films ooze style not just the same style each film but lots of textures. The contrast in the color in his shots is great, his films just pop at you, like a perfectly layered photoshop sharpening mask. Kill Bill is a revenge film an makes no effort to hide from the genre. Does being a revenge flick translate into the film having a half hearted and sometimes monotonous script, well in this case I thought yes. Witty comebacks and great character monologues are nowhere to be seen in Kill Bill, does this make a bad film. No. But it does make me wonder how much of a better a film it could have been if QT would have made a character oriented (no plot driven) script. This kid of things bother me like when Edward Norton directed Keeping the Faith in 2000 when he could have been acting in a better film instead of wasting his time with that.
With limbs and heads being cleaning removed from bodies lots of people gawked and laughed at the screen during the showing I was at. As a side note the little gangster kids and bratty cellphone arm teenagers all walked out during the film, showing how short attention spans and lack imagination quickly cull together people who deserve not to see this film in the first place. Basically I knew it was a matter of time before they walked out anyway. Basically they saw the trailer and when to the film having no idea QT directed in and the history of his films, telling what kind of film Kill Bill was going to be. Alas, good riddance I hate those kids.
If you haven’t seen stuff like Saving Private Ryan, early John Woo films, or cartoons for gods sake, none of this should be all that suprising. Action and fight sequences were what I went and saw this film for. Kill Bill delivered on those two accounts on a very real and exciting way. Others like matrix: reloaded made me bored and I wondered how much special effects I could take before the fights actually did become a cartoon. Kill Bill of course has effects in it and reloaded is a different kind of film but still action is action and I want it to have some semblance to reality. I did like the film though. It felt short like a good film should. I never needed to look at my watch and see where I was at time wise.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-20, 05:08 PM   #2
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Superb film.

In the end I had to say "WoW", and "No!" at the same time - realizing but not wanting to accept the Part 1 part.

This movie struck a chord in me - beautifully illustrating the theme of the way of the warrior that I've seen in so many Japanese films, and is a part of my heritage. It's not just about revenge, but vengeance with honor and the discipline and journey to carry it out. Hell, if the bride wanted revenge, she could have just gotten a gun & blown her enemies away.

It is artistic, and physical, and definitely bloody. The only part I felt was over the top was the battle with the crazy 88's.

So, for anyone who has seen it - what do you think? Does Bill have a background that was already covered in Part 1, but we just didn't realize it when we saw it?
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-20, 05:52 PM   #3
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv

So, for anyone who has seen it - what do you think? Does Bill have a background that was already covered in Part 1, but we just didn't realize it when we saw it?
Hmm? What exactly are you refereing to there? There is something vaguely familiar about his characters limited apperances, but I have no idea why.

Anyway, i too really enjoyed the movie, I have always liked the surprises that come from QT's movies. I especially liked the almost "Comicbook" feel of the fight sequences, a perfect balance between 70's kung -fu movies, true martial arts and animation. I also really liked the over the top gore, it was so different than the excessively sterile fight scenes Tyson mentioned.

Overall, I dug it, and i'm really looking forward to 2..
Old 2003-10-21, 07:16 AM   #4
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
Hmm? What exactly are you refereing to there? There is something vaguely familiar about his characters limited apperances, but I have no idea why.
One of the characters in the anime sequence with the ring....
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote