Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-09-04, 11:05 AM   #951
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I could see that happening. The demo was certainly less than I expected in some ways, but in others it's very reassuring. It's definitely not going to be another Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (which I would rather have), but it's not going to be as bad as the Episode 3 game.

I think the bottom line will be that the game is fun, but certainly not game of the year material. MGS4 already has my vote there anyway, unless Fable 2 or Fallout 3 manage to wrest away my affection.

--------
edit:

After re-reading this post, I realized that the top contenders for GotY this year will be mostly sequels, which is an interesting contrast to last year. Last year we had new IPs like Assasin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Overlord (and that's just what I'm seeing sitting on my game rack), and there's very little new this year.

Last edited by M3n2c3; 2008-09-04 at 11:19 AM.
M3n2c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 12:08 PM   #952
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Very little... so far
Old 2008-09-04, 04:11 PM   #953
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3 View Post
I could see that happening. The demo was certainly less than I expected in some ways, but in others it's very reassuring. It's definitely not going to be another Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (which I would rather have), but it's not going to be as bad as the Episode 3 game.

I think the bottom line will be that the game is fun, but certainly not game of the year material. MGS4 already has my vote there anyway, unless Fable 2 or Fallout 3 manage to wrest away my affection.

--------
edit:

After re-reading this post, I realized that the top contenders for GotY this year will be mostly sequels, which is an interesting contrast to last year. Last year we had new IPs like Assasin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Overlord (and that's just what I'm seeing sitting on my game rack), and there's very little new this year.
Yeah, a lot of game mags are already calling this year the year of sequels. Most of the AAA and GoTY contenders are sequels.

I can't wait for Fallout 3. Been waiting 10 years for that game.
Old 2008-09-10, 07:26 PM   #954
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

Agreed. I'm also looking forward to the new expansion for NWN2 because that's how big of an RPG geek I am.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 08:54 PM   #955
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Hehe. Just got into the GoG beta, already purchased Fallout 1 and 2 again (can't seem to find my CDs) and Shogo for kicks too.
Old 2008-09-10, 09:29 PM   #956
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Hehe. Just got into the GoG beta, already purchased Fallout 1 and 2 again (can't seem to find my CDs) and Shogo for kicks too.
Holy crap! Shogo! I remember that game. That is all.
Old 2008-09-10, 09:59 PM   #957
M3n2c3
EJ205

Shogo? Was that the "mecha anime" style shooter that Monolith put out back around '99? I remember that being fairly boring. It had seemed to me that they equated "anime" to "lack of background detail or variety."
Old 2008-09-10, 10:41 PM   #958
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

I don't know if I'd typify it with "anime" because it wasn't a cartoony style, it was like a more dynamic Mechwarrior FPS, but yeah, same game
Old 2008-09-11, 08:36 AM   #959
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I played a beta copy years ago, and absolutely loved it. I remember it being one of the few FPS single persons shooters I finished all the way through (at that point).
Old 2008-09-16, 09:37 AM   #960
Kunikos
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3 View Post
Shogo? Was that the "mecha anime" style shooter that Monolith put out back around '99? I remember that being fairly boring. It had seemed to me that they equated "anime" to "lack of background detail or variety."
Wasn't that pretty much every FPS during that time period?
Old 2008-09-17, 09:12 AM   #961
M3n2c3
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunikos View Post
Wasn't that pretty much every FPS during that time period?
Not really. Shogo was sub-standard when you compared it to the likes of Quake 2, Unreal, and Half-Life. It was still fun for a while, but I didn't find it to be worth a re-play.

I still have my copy. . . I wonder if it would run on XP.
Old 2008-09-19, 03:14 PM   #962
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40181.html

This trailer for C&C: Red Alert 3 makes me wish I liked RTS games.
Old 2008-09-22, 07:53 AM   #963
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40181.html

This trailer for C&C: Red Alert 3 makes me wish I liked RTS games.
Starcraft 2 will make you like them. I bet you haven't played one since the first Starcraft.
Old 2008-09-22, 07:53 AM   #964
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba View Post
Starcraft 2 will make you like them. I bet you haven't played one since the first Starcraft.
Not since Warcraft 2 actually.
Old 2008-09-23, 08:40 AM   #965
Kunikos
EJ22

Quote:
Oh please. Maybe Dawn of War 2, but Starcraft 2 is going to be the same-ol' same-ol' again. Just look at Warcraft 3-- it made micromanaging a million times worse with their artificial unit selection cap, having to creep to level up your hero, and still holding on to resource harvesting as a game mechanic. No thanks! RTS games have evolved since then (thanks to companies like Relic and Big Huge) and Blizzard still hasn't gotten a clue (also Gas Powered for that matter).

As an aside, I should be getting my copy of Warhammer Online today (hopefully). Shipping from BestBuy.com is terribly slow.
Old 2008-09-23, 09:43 AM   #966
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Oh please. Maybe Dawn of War 2, but Starcraft 2 is going to be the same-ol' same-ol' again. Just look at Warcraft 3-- it made micromanaging a million times worse with their artificial unit selection cap, having to creep to level up your hero, and still holding on to resource harvesting as a game mechanic. No thanks! RTS games have evolved since then (thanks to companies like Relic and Big Huge) and Blizzard still hasn't gotten a clue (also Gas Powered for that matter).

As an aside, I should be getting my copy of Warhammer Online today (hopefully). Shipping from BestBuy.com is terribly slow.
You left out the part were Starcraft is awesome...
Old 2008-09-23, 09:46 PM   #967
M3n2c3
EJ205

Quote:
You left out the part were Starcraft is awesome...
And rightly so. I was already sick of Starcraft after my first few hours of playing. . .

and then my roommate played it incessantly for a month straight

and then it caught on in Korea and you couldn't find an empty seat in a PC cafe without getting wedged inbetween two highschool kids playing the damn game at top volume

Starcraft and I don't get along very well. My favorite Blizzard title remains Warcraft 2.
Old 2008-09-24, 07:21 AM   #968
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Geez, no point in trying to talk to a bunch of haters.
Old 2008-09-24, 07:58 AM   #969
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I just don't have the time for strategy games. Plus, I'm more of a story and linear progression guy, and strategy games are more of a sandbox.
Old 2008-09-24, 08:32 AM   #970
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:

I just don't have the time for strategy games. Plus, I'm more of a story and linear progression guy, and strategy games are more of a sandbox.
Yeah who likes choices!?
Old 2008-09-24, 08:48 AM   #971
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Choices are fine. Games that have no "end" and force me to make up my own fun, though, suck.

Entertain me damnit, don't make me entertain myself (I can do that just fine with the internet).
Old 2008-09-24, 09:06 AM   #972
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:

Theoretically, a sandbox style game or MMORPG seem like awesome games. They're unlimited in scope, have massive (even perpetual) replayability, etc. But in practice I have to agree w/ Nick... they're boring. Even if you go out of your way to create your own entertainment in a MMORPG it still is about gaining levels and "stuff" than it is about playing through the story.

I know Neverwinter Nights was supposed to do this and failed, but IMO a sandbox style game needs to be more of an engine/environment where the gamers can make up their own stories for each other. So the leveling and item gathering stuff isn't the point... all that's secondary to playing through the chapters of an epic story that's being created in real time. But I think the only way to have any shot at something like that is to drastically limit the number of people in each virtual world. Say 10-20 main characters that stick together for the life of the tale, with 1-3 people that are the storytellers/DMs that create the details of the story. But even then, the gameplay quality is directly related to the DMs' ability.

Ideally, you'd have an online game with professional and creative DMs running your guild's adventure custom tailored for you and your e-friends. (Only $150/mo!)
Old 2008-09-25, 01:53 PM   #973
Kunikos
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Theoretically, a sandbox style game or MMORPG seem like awesome games. They're unlimited in scope, have massive (even perpetual) replayability, etc. But in practice I have to agree w/ Nick... they're boring. Even if you go out of your way to create your own entertainment in a MMORPG it still is about gaining levels and "stuff" than it is about playing through the story.
Sometimes. WoW has done the best job thus far with having entertaining quests with scripted sequences, but even then it doesn't compare at all to a single player RPG. I have to agree with Nick that Fallout 3 is going to be wtfawesome, just watch the videos from PAX and I'm sure you will be excited as well. You can tell that the developer has learned a lot from Oblivion and that they are still respecting the original games. I am considering buying a 360 right now because my wife prefers I play my games in the same room as her, and she is more comfortable on the couch. She can use her laptop while I play Mario Galaxy or such.

Quote:
I know Neverwinter Nights was supposed to do this and failed, but IMO a sandbox style game needs to be more of an engine/environment where the gamers can make up their own stories for each other
Yeah, the MP aspect of NWN maybe. I have heard there are some neat persistent-worlds made with it, but I always just think they are nothing more than very basic 3D MUDs. NWN2 had a pretty decent campaign, and the first expansion pack had a very cool storyline that was suitably epic (running into gods realms, planes, forgotten cities, academies of evil wizards, etc).

If I'm going to play D&D with a DM I think I would prefer to play the real thing.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:28 AM   #974
Kunikos
EJ22

Fallout 3 for 360 was already leaked onto the piracy scene.
Old 2008-10-10, 01:46 PM   #975
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Fallout 3 for 360 was already leaked onto the piracy scene.
We do live in the land of the free.